WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: veggie burgers

Default veggie burgers

I am a vegeterian and eats tons of veggie burgers "out in the world". Because you buy them frozen and just microwave them or throw them on the grill, I don't usually consider them for the trail. Last year I took some that I mixed in with mashed potatoes, but I had them the first night out. My question is, do others take veggie burgers or veggie burger crumbles, and how long can you carry them without refrigeration. Since they don't have meat in them, I'm not sure how perishable they are. Thank you.

Images

Hmmm, hadn't thought about t his, but how about trying to dehydrate them - crumbled. Some where I have a ' to die for' veggy burger recipe.

I make veggie burgers at home. The most frequent recipe is red beans or a red bean/black bean combo. I bake them rather than fry or saute them. I'd think they'd last a few days but perhaps not in summer.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If you pick up the "Nature's Burger" mix from Fanastic Foods, you can make them on the trail. Just add hot water to the dry mix, let it set for 15 minutes, and then sautee the patties in your pan. I've done this on the trail--you can eat them with a tortilla or a bun.

I carried some this past summer. I was carrying three at a time and eating them over three days. My figuring was the first day out is free--they are frozen, and after that at worst they were start to mold which could be cut off, but I never had to deal with that. I fried them up in my cook pot with some oil and then I toasted the bun in the same hot oil. I carried ketchup packets for them and sometimes and avocado and add a few slices (and sometimes apple slices). I did find that they didn't have enough calories to them when eaten as a burger. But they were great.
    "I learned long ago that the most important and valuable of acting techniques is the exit...Keep them asking, and exit clean and sharp."
    - Travels with Charley

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    If you pick up the "Nature's Burger" mix from Fanastic Foods, you can make them on the trail. Just add hot water to the dry mix, let it set for 15 minutes, and then sautee the patties in your pan. I've done this on the trail--you can eat them with a tortilla or a bun.
    I was going to say this, but you beat me to the punch. I also dehydrate Seitan and mix it with macaroni and cheese or dehydrated potatoes - I also eat seitan strips (Primal Strip brand). Veggie burgers out of the box along with Tofurky Polish sausages can be dehydrated. I carry these items regularly in the winter when you don't need a fridge - unlike Primal Strips (a staple for me) they are not particularly convenient (or available) thru-hiker - Long distance hiker food.

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

One more plug for Fantastic World Foods veggie burger mix (as well as everything else they sell.)

Also, if you want a lot of calories and don't mind cooking for a while, consider their falafel. Great when the weather is cold. Squish them into thin patties so you don't need so much oil.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Images

Here is a good vegetarian dish for you:

"lemon pepper tofu"

Buy a block of baked tofu and chop it up - it'll last for 3-4 days unless it's really hot - or dehydrate regular tofu or seitan
    Fill small bottle with alfredo sauce - it'll last 2 days or you can dehydrate it
    cook tofu in a few drops of oil and generously cover with lemon pepper seasoning - set aside in some foil
    boil and cook pasta (dried fettucini?)
    mix it all together and add a little more lemon pepper and maybe some hot sauce

The BBQ Vegie Burger MRE Was my absolute favorite, but it caused extreme gas, if I had the Veggie omlet for Breakfast also, I was guaranteed privacy well into the evening

But on a health note, there is no way I can be convinced any MRE was "good for you"

V/r HT1

Default Veggie Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I was going to say this, but you beat me to the punch. I also dehydrate Seitan and mix it with macaroni and cheese or dehydrated potatoes - I also eat seitan strips (Primal Strip brand). Veggie burgers out of the box along with Tofurky Polish sausages can be dehydrated. I carry these items regularly in the winter when you don't need a fridge - unlike Primal Strips (a staple for me) they are not particularly convenient (or available) thru-hiker - Long distance hiker food.
    I am not sure how long a frozen veggie burger would last. I would assume not long if it's hot out. However, as a vegan, I never thought of dehydrating Tofurky sausages! That sounds amazing, I'll have to try that out soon!!! Do you cut them up into thinner slices or just dehydrate them whole??

my veggie burgers always fall apart anyone got any secrets to fixing that??

I bought Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime patties, sliced Swiss cheese and bagels whenever I could find them in the stores. Unless it was very hot they lasted for days. Made great breakfasts (and dinners).

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morn...e-burgers.html

++ New Posts ++