WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Denatured Cost per Ounce

Generally speaking, how much does denatured alcohol by the ounce when resupplying in town or at hostels? No exact numbers needed, just looking for a ballpark figure. Thanks.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I paid around 25 cents (+/-) an ounce in 2009.

Images

Default re: Denatured Cost per Ounce

The Outfitter in Harpers Ferry sold alcohol for .50/ounce in May 2010.

I paid just under $3 for 12 ounces of HEET at a c-store in Delaware Water Gap.

There was leftover alcohol for free inside the door at Boiling Springs ATC office.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Buy Heet (in the yellow bottle) whenever possible. It cost $1.67/12oz at Walmart...$.14.oz...it burns much better than alcohol and has less odor...heats faster and burns hotter. It's gas treatment for your car so most gas stations, Walmarts, should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    Buy Heet (in the yellow bottle) whenever possible. It cost $1.67/12oz at Walmart...$.14.oz...it burns much better than alcohol and has less odor...heats faster and burns hotter. It's gas treatment for your car so most gas stations, Walmarts, should have it.
    Uh, HEET is alcohol (methyl alcohol).

HEET (methyl alcohol) is a very popular fuel for alcohol stoves. Cheapest deal I've seen is the Wal-Mart 12-pack of HEET which works out to $14.61/gallon.
    SLX denatured alcohol (roughly equal parts methyl and ethyl alcohol with some other denaturing agents) sells for as low as $12.99/gallon (at my local hardware stove).

Of course out on the trail nobody in their right mind buys a gallon at a time. HEET comes in a nice 12 fl oz (355ml) long necked plastic bottle. About as good as it gets for trail use. You can buy a quart (16 fl oz) of denatured, but that's usually in a metal container that's a bit of a trick to pour from when full. HEET is a really good way to go if you're out on the trail unless you find a place that will refill your existing container and sells by the ounce.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    Uh, HEET is alcohol (methyl alcohol).

HEET (methyl alcohol) is a very popular fuel for alcohol stoves. Cheapest deal I've seen is the Wal-Mart 12-pack of HEET which works out to $14.61/gallon.
    SLX denatured alcohol (roughly equal parts methyl and ethyl alcohol with some other denaturing agents) sells for as low as $12.99/gallon (at my local hardware stove).

Of course out on the trail nobody in their right mind buys a gallon at a time. HEET comes in a nice 12 fl oz (355ml) long necked plastic bottle. About as good as it gets for trail use. You can buy a quart (16 fl oz) of denatured, but that's usually in a metal container that's a bit of a trick to pour from when full. HEET is a really good way to go if you're out on the trail unless you find a place that will refill your existing container and sells by the ounce.

HJ
    In my testing, I've found that SLX burns better than yellow HEET, but yeah, the availability of backpack-friendly containers (volume and material) makes it less idea in an overall comparison. If you can split a 1Qt can of SLX with two or three other people, though, and have other bottles to put it in, then it's a different story. I think I paid $6 or so (just shy of $7 most likely) for the 1Qt can at Wal-Mart, so the price works out to be pretty similar if you can happen to split it.

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    In my testing, I've found that SLX burns better than yellow HEET...
    I agree. Heet is way over rated.

If you can split a 1Qt can of SLX with two or three other people...
    Yep, then pay it forward by leaving what's left over at the hostel for the next thru hiker to use.

Images

i paid 25 cents in '09 and as low as "nothing"
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I paid $4 for 8 oz on the JMT, but hey, that's California. Don't remember on the AT, I'd guess somewhere between 30-40 cents an ounce.

In my testing, I've found that SLX burns better than yellow HEET.
    Interesting. When you say "better" do you mean cleaner, faster boils, less fuel per boil or ? Just curious as to what you've found in your testing.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Images

With my stove at least (pennystove), I get the jets pluming out into the fully-primed state faster with SLX and seems to produce less condensation on my pot while heating the water up. Average boil times/amount per boil were indistinguishable on 4 tests of each fuel. Statistically speaking, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    You can buy a quart (16 fl oz) of denatured,

HJ
    I remmember the old days when a quart was 32 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmRookie 2015 View Post
    I remmember the old days when a quart was 32 oz.
    Ha! In the good old days Mt Katahdin was a pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Ha! In the good old days Mt Katahdin was a pyramid.
    And a good night was a fifth on the fourth and do it all over again on the sixth.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by critinamori View Post
    Okay here is the problem I need help with. It's not in a textbook but it is online.
    A stamp collection consits of 3, 8, and 15 cent stamps. The number of 8 cent stamps is one less than triple the number of 3 cent stamps. The number of 15 cent stamps is six less than the number of 8 cent stamps. The total value of all the stamps is $2.47. Find the number of 8 cent stamps in the collection.
    The answer is under the dot on your forehead.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++