WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chaffing help

Default Chaffing help

OK here goes this is of course for the guys out there. I need help. the past few hikes I have done even just overnight 8 mile days, I have had major chaffing issues down there. I have tried wearing capaline to wick the moisture away no help... I have done things like corn starch and body glide. really No help. I do want to do a couple of long trails but i don't see them happening with this issue. think wearing a jock strap would help? any other "cures" or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Try some boxer breifs. I like the UA ones myself.

--louis

Images

Gold bond?

This is going to sound bad, but I swear by Monistat Intimate Care - Chafing Relief Powder Gel. I know it's marketed towards women, but I have found nothing that works better. I have tried body glide, gold bond, etc... Now, that being said, I also find a good pair of ExOfficio Boxer-Briefs helps in that department.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Ex Officio boxer briefs get the job done for me. One pair costs around $20, but one pair also lasted me a thru-hike. Body Glide is a backup on the bad days in summer.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Under Armor Boxer Briefs 9"
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Under Armor Boxer Briefs 9"
    I have 3 pairs of these and love them

Under armor boxer briefs work good and I have used them but I have found that going commando under a kilt works best,,,no chaffing...also wash off ever chance you get in hot weather which is also alot easier with the kilt.

geek

As always no one suggest this. You bring something to take water away from the drinking supply and wash. It really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Under armor boxer briefs work good and I have used them but I have found that going commando under a kilt works best,,,no chaffing...also wash off ever chance you get in hot weather which is also alot easier with the kilt.

geek
    Sorry Jim, I only saw kilt which also works really well.

Images

Bag Balm. Some feed stores, pet supply stores and general stores still carry the 1" cube tin container which are great for back packing but only if you tape it closed each time (the lid can come off). The stuff is a product of Vermont and was originally used on cow udders to prevent rawness from the milking machines.

The stuff is great and won't wash off. Ultra runners and hikers have been using it for years, but if you already got bad chaffing, it ain't gonna help that much. You need to change the kind of pants/shorts you are using now.

Here is a link of one place that still sells the mini cube: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...FQljTAodPmSA_A

Boxer briefs usually do the trick, but if that doesn't do it, try chamois butter that cyclists use.

Images

I got UA-style boxer briefs from Target. They're C9 brand. Work wonderfully for me. Cheaper, too. I haven't had to replace a single pair, yet. Have had them for about three years to date.

I had this exact same problem. No more though. 3 things. 1. Mid thigh Sport Jockey's that are 1 size too small. Mediums vice the normal large. 2. A tube of diaper rash cream. 3. Rinse the salt out of the boxers whenever I can. The diaper rash cream has a pain killer in it to keep the baby from crying...just like it does for me.

Thanks for the help guys. I have tried a couple of these suggestions. I will keep plugging along. Good thoughts on a ROUGH problem. Thanks again

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restlesss View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I have tried a couple of these suggestions. I will keep plugging along. Good thoughts on a ROUGH problem. Thanks again
    It's something that's easy to sympathize with. So I'm sure everyone is eager to help with it.

Olive oil...good for dry skin, rash, raw areas, and it softens your skin and has a high calorie value if you put it on Raimen.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1209292 is the link to the ones I like. They are boxerjocks and not "boxerbriefs", as I typed earlier. The 9" version just stayin place and just makes my thighs happier too. The shorter versions can ride up......not good.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Another vote for Under Armor Boxer Briefs, specifically the longer ones. If they start getting stretched, you might need to hike them up a bit. Silly as it feels, it keeps them working. Supplement with gold bond as needed as well, though the underwear tend to do it for me.

Cycle underwear if possible. Carry at least 2 pair. They really don't weigh much and aside from your feet, this is probably the one other part of you likely to ruin a hike- or at least slow you down a whole lot. You can switch to a clean(er), dry pair immediately and leave the dirty ones out in the rain or rinse them (away from the water source, thank you). They dry fairly fast, especially if it's warm and sunny.

Images

I definitely agree with the tight-fitting "bicycle shorts" style underwear. Like Target, Walmart has its own cheap store brand. I also like the Body Glide, Gold Bond powder, and washing regularly hints.

But I'll throw out one more idea. "Chapstick." Multi-purpose. And you can get the Vaseline version in a very light-weight option (can even be used as a fire-starter) --
    Vaseline Lip Therapy.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++