WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chaffing help

Thanks Guys! that all helps. will look at some of the ideas you gave.

Restesss

You might also try Hydropel. I use it to keep the skin from getting wet and therefore prevents chaffing. I find it thinner and more comfortable for the softer skin areas. That said, I also use Glide between my toes daily to prevent blisters and for my "butt" area, clean with a "wet one" daily (which I pack out) and apply a dab of preventive Vaseline. (TMI?)

3 step process keeps me from having the monkey butt...it can get back there too...

1) clean and dry everything meticulously! no such thing as too dry!
    2) (this is the important part for me) Antimonkeybutt powder inteh yellow can...works to prevent and if you get a touch it will clear it up overnight.
    3) boxer briefs as mentioned by so many others.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

my tx

A) wash area with water, preferably soap and water, even warm water is better to help dissolve the salts and remove bacteria/fungi. Or Baby wipe
    B) Rinse/wash shirt, shorts, pack, hat or whatever might have salt buildup.
    C) Wipe area with alcohol or spray (iso or denatured even Bacardi151)-I prefer to use sample size deodorant spray (main ingredient-denatured alcohol). Allow friends to be entertained by your grimace.
    two options here:
    D) if continuing to hike, put body glide over the now clean, affected area to seal out further irritants and prevent further friction.
    E) if resting for the night, clean and rewipe with alcohol before bed and preferably allow it to air out or wear something that will wick moisture away from your nether regions. A thin layer of antiobiotic cream or ointment overnight if you let it get too far.
    F) If it's borderline bleeding on you, do all these things and treat with antibiotic cream and a bandage. You probably won't be hiking at this point.

and last but not least, lose a lil weight or at least train more so I'm not so soft.
    See ya when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    If I went commando I think I would still get chaffing from the pants or shorts I was wearing. Even if I wore I kilt I think I would still get it from the hairy skin rubbing against itself all day although I have never worn a kilt so cannot testify to that specifically.
    the kilt usually keeps you cool enough so that you don't sweat. sweat softens the skin and then the salts in the sweat burn the skin...just stay cool and wash often.
    geek

where do you guys wash yourselves everyday? on a trail as busy as the AT i'm too paranoid that i'm going to get caught by something thinking i'm finagling my bagel. do you just roll around in akward positions in your tent at night?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thethinker View Post
    where do you guys wash yourselves everyday? on a trail as busy as the AT i'm too paranoid that i'm going to get caught by something thinking i'm finagling my bagel. do you just roll around in akward positions in your tent at night?
    Inside your tent hopefully.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by mkdixon View Post
    Boxer briefs usually do the trick, but if that doesn't do it, try chamois butter that cyclists use.
    Chamois butter is definitely the way to go!
    Also, best, best, best ever boxer briefs are from Duluth trading company "bare naked"
    Read the reviews and you will realize why I tried a pair. I hunt a lot in thick clothes (to protect from thorns) in very hot weather, and these are the only, ONLY, boxer briefs that make the cut.
    I'll make it easy for you. 1,731 reviews, average 5 star!
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ear/76015.aspx
    a little pricey, but after you get one pair you will get 5 more as soon as you can get them to take your money!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++