WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Anyone seen U-Haul or Triton?

Back in early March, I did a trip from NOC to Fontana. I ran into several thru-hikers - U-Haul,
    Triton, Ducky. Anyone know where they are now?

Ducky is off trail. He was a trail angel to Steady.

Images

I stayed at the shelter above NOC and Ducky, Steady and a few others passed through for a late
    afternoon lunch. Is Steady still hiking? Some TJ posts mention Triton in Pa or thereabouts. U-Haul
    had the biggest pack I've ever seen (about 80 lbs). Curious if he's still hiking or how far he got. If
    he got that pack to the other side of the Smokies, he's something else.

- SS

Steady was in Dalton on the 4th of July.

Hey SS. I was hikign with those guys too. When did Ducky get off? I started with him at Springer. I am off trail with a stress fracture. Glad to hear Steady is still on trail.
    You are never too old.

Steady here.

Ducky got off at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. He may or may not get on later in the year to do some more miles.

I'm now near Rutland, VT.

Images

My husband "Turn Around" hiked with Triton a good bit. Him and Triton went into NYC together but that was late July maybe? Trition was taking a week off to spend with family. He's probably in the Whites, maybe passed it now. Turn Around hasn't seen him since, and hubby's Katahdin summit is Tuesday. I'd say he's 3 weeks behind him now, you never know.
    It will all be okay in the end. If not, it's not the end. ~ Unknown

I ran into U-Haul in the 100 mile wilderness just south of Abol Bridge on 8/25. He had flipped(not sure where) and was headed south. Pack was still quite large, I was shocked to see him.

Images

I saw Triton in NH traveling with the Swiss Family Robinsons just a few weeks ago.
    -milkman

got soul?

Pretty sure I met U-Haul in the Shennies.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I met U-Haul just north of Hot Springs on 4/6/11. He had a huge pack weighing over 100 pounds. We had a nice talk but he was moving so slow that I passed him and figured I'd never see him again. Then on 9/4 as I was in the 100 Mile Wilderness who did I meet going SOBO but U-Haul! We stopped and talked for a while and he told me the story of how he got there. He said had he decided to get off the trail not too long after we had met in NC. He went home to NYC, worked a while then decided to go to Katahdin and start heading south. He said he was averaging 50 miles a week. I doubt he would have made it out of Maine before weather would have forced him off the trail.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I met Triton in Millinocket at the Appalachian Lodge. I believe he summitted Katahdin on the 21st or 22nd of September. We rode the bus back from Medway to Portland together.
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

steady finished to the best of my knowing and ducky never came back he did some trail magic for people. i think triton finished. ducky came with me to try to hike the MST and quit in wilson only 200 miles in. I just finished that trail 2 days ago. I dont know what became of u haul i last saw him in the smokies and he was lost.

Images

I'd totally forgotten about starting this thread. Thx for all the responses. Great to hear
    that Triton and Steady finished. And I'm pretty impressed with how much ground U-Haul
    covered with that ginormous pack. My back hurts just thinking about him carrying that
    thing.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Steady is doing the PCT this year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++