WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Communicating Overseas

Hello all,
    Currently in South Korea but I plan on thru-hiking April 1st 2012. I need to be able to communicate overseas while I'm on the trail. Would it be best for me to rely on technology in towns? Is finding a computer to send an email going to be an issue? Should I bring an iphone and d/l skype or facetime? Saving money would be nice, but the communication is more important to me. Thanks!

Pretty much every town has a libary with computers and internet access. Most hostels and every motel does too. Don't know if any will let you skype, but all will let you do any text based communications, email, facebook, trailjournals, blogs, etc. So long as you don't spend more than an hour at a time doing it. There might be a line behind you...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you carry a smartphone, why not use a free audio app like AudioBoo and send audio updates? You could even do post by voice updates on a free WordPress.com blog. They have an easy to use app too.

Otherwise, hit the library for Internet access as mentioned.

Hi, I don't carry a cell phone and opted for buying an online phone card with good overseas rates to keep in touch with friends while on the trail. Sure, this means finding a landline, but even with the reduction in available pay phones it was not an issue. YMMV

greetings from the morning calm...

libraries are everywhere. some hostels even have computers. you'll have no problem sending a message a week if that's all you need to do. probably can't talk in the libraries though on account of them being libraries. get the googles or the skype or whatever you're using to chat with home on an iphone if you need more than that. you could even just use a ipod touch with the skype app accessed over wifi at a coffeehouse or outside a library.

I second the iPod touch. Wak is going to Bolivia in a couple of weeks and we are going to set it up via FaceTime.

Journal Entries
    Images

Copy your emails and load the Skype app
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++