Overly Long Background: In my never-ending quest to convert my friends and neighbors into backpackers (misery loves company on the trail), we are taking a novice out this weekend to gauge whether he can handle Linville Gorge later in the month. The plan was to drive him up Blood Mountain (from North to South, the "fun" direction), and camp at the Slaughter Creek tent pads after marching him around for a few additional miles.

With the new bear canister requirement, we have to alter our route. None of us has a canister, and no one is going to buy one for an overnighter. Besides, the new regulation seems to be a pretty strong indication that the Forest Service doesn't want anyone camping in the designated area. Our plan now is to park at Lake Winfield Scott, hike in on the Slaughter Creek trail, climb the mountain, come back on the Freeman Trail, camp somewhere south of Jarrard Gap, and return to the car by way of the Jarrard Gap trail.

I remember from 2009 (my last time on that section of the trail) a creek-side campsite approximately 2 miles south of Jarrard Gap, to the left of the AT (as you proceed south), just before a creek crossing. It may have been in/near Miller Gap. It was a great site - outside of the fire ban area, right by moving water, big enough for 6-7 tents + hammocks, etc. It would work for us because it is close enough to Jarrad Gap that we could still get up and get out pretty quickly in the morning.

My questions:

1. Does this campsite still exist? I have done some online research and have read references to a campsite in the area having been "returned to nature." I worry that it is the site I am thinking of. I don't want to be the guy who drags his friends that far on the promise of a great campsite, only to find it unusable.

2. If the site is no longer usable, can anyone recommend any other sites 1-2 miles south of Jarrard Gap that are reasonably close to a reliable water source? Our group will consist of 3 tents and a hammock.

3. What volume of thru-hikers should we expect this weekend? This is the only weekend we can do this, but I'd prefer not to make life more difficult for the thru-hikers by overcrowding one of the few available campsites.

I'd appreciate any guidance you would care to provide. Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for putting up with the new guy.