WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Pedometer or Timex Trail Mate Watch?

Hey everyone.

I own a Timex watch, nothing special, and want something that'll track my miles and calories for my thru-hike.

A) I was considering the Timex Expedition Trail Mate, which has an accelerometer and tracks distance/calories based on arms swinging. I'll be using poles and there are no current reviews on this watch so I'm hesitant at $65.

B) A pedometer that tracks calories/distance and you clip on your pack or pop in your pocket. They go for about $20, and although I prefer their accuracy, I don't like the idea of bringing something on my hike that doesn't have more than 1 use.

What do you guys think?
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

These instruments count steps, (or arm swings) nothing more. They will neither measure distance or calories consumed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    These instruments count steps, (or arm swings) nothing more. They will neither measure distance or calories consumed.
    Correction: Both pedometers and the Timex Trail Mate are advertised as counting steps, distance, and calories. You can program each with your average stride length so that it can convert steps into distance. You can also program it with age/gender/height/weight/pack weight/etc. so that it can calculate your calorie consumption as well.

I'm on the fence and would like some other perspectives on which to go with.
    My ink trail.

I personally wouldn't bother. After a while in the woods, you distance yourself from stats, and time matters only in the most general way. But to each his/her own.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother. After a while in the woods, you distance yourself from stats, and time matters only in the most general way. But to each his/her own.
    Hey, tiptoe! I see real value in your point. I'm just a numbers guy and would like the info for my blog and my own interest.
    My ink trail.

It seems to me that if you are going to keep track, you might as well do it with at least some degree of accuracy. I have a forerunner 101 (which is pretty outdated). The newer ones are smaller and more efficient. Something like the 205 might work for you if you are set on keeping track.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Rayo,I too like to crunch the numbers.My timex is only a analog,and works pretty good.Can you afford to purchase both?(rhetorical).just remember that with the step counter you'll have to guesstimate the hypotenuse when going up or down.have a great hike and please post blog.thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Rayo,I too like to crunch the numbers.My timex is only a analog,and works pretty good.Can you afford to purchase both?(rhetorical).just remember that with the step counter you'll have to guesstimate the hypotenuse when going up or down.have a great hike and please post blog.thanks
    My mom just told me she has a pedometer, so problem solved. Thanks for pointer, Rocketsocks.

Here's my blog: followingblazes.blogspot.com
    My ink trail.

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

I needed a new watch and bought the Timex Trail Mate. The accelerometer/pedometer works just fine without hiking poles, but with them my hands didn't swing rapidly enough and the device recorded only one swing out of 50. I'm contemplating putting the watch in a thigh pocket to see if it would register there. Also, the chronograph isn't great because when the watch is in stopwatch mode, half the time you see numbers (good) and the other half the time you see a Hiker icon (bad). The numbers are on for a second or two and then off for a second it two. Annoying.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
    Hey, tiptoe! I see real value in your point. I'm just a numbers guy and would like the info for my blog and my own interest.
    I'm a gadget/numbers guy myself. That pedometer will be worthless on the trail. There is no "average stride" on the AT that will mean anything. Your stride will change all day long, every day.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stats 2012 View Post
    I needed a new watch and bought the Timex Trail Mate. The accelerometer/pedometer works just fine without hiking poles, but with them my hands didn't swing rapidly enough and the device recorded only one swing out of 50. I'm contemplating putting the watch in a thigh pocket to see if it would register there. Also, the chronograph isn't great because when the watch is in stopwatch mode, half the time you see numbers (good) and the other half the time you see a Hiker icon (bad). The numbers are on for a second or two and then off for a second it two. Annoying.
    Thanks for that info. Very valuable.
    My ink trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'm a gadget/numbers guy myself. That pedometer will be worthless on the trail. There is no "average stride" on the AT that will mean anything. Your stride will change all day long, every day.
    Thanks for the insight. I believe you're right. Up and down mountains won't allow for anywhere near a normal stride to be calculated.
    My ink trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
    My mom just told me she has a pedometer, so problem solved. Thanks for pointer, Rocketsocks.

Here's my blog: followingblazes.blogspot.com
    followingblazes.blogspot.com Book marked,Thanks

Use a GPS and compare it to the data book for best results. (probably the data book is most accurate but, they should be close)

Try comparing it then to a pedometer and I would bet you'll see the folly in attempting to use one to measure hiking on the AT. (just too different of step length beween uphill and level walking)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Rayo - your money is better spent on gas to the trail, I have personally tried a measured path with a wheel and pedometers and Timex gave me horrible measurements in less than two miles.... take it back
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Neither. I'd get an inexpensive $10 analog watch from Academy Sports and put the difference towards a lighter, warmer bag, lighter pack, etc.

I prefer an analog watch as it can be used as a backup navigation device. The north-south line is halfway between the current hour and 12 on an analog watch. Just point the hour hand towards the sun.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hodag View Post
    Neither. I'd get an inexpensive $10 analog watch from Academy Sports and put the difference towards a lighter, warmer bag, lighter pack, etc.

I prefer an analog watch as it can be used as a backup navigation device. The north-south line is halfway between the current hour and 12 on an analog watch. Just point the hour hand towards the sun.
    pretty cool trick "JAK" showed me that,works great...any ideas for Moon navigation with watch?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Rayo - your money is better spent on gas to the trail, I have personally tried a measured path with a wheel and pedometers and Timex gave me horrible measurements in less than two miles.... take it back
    Thanks to all you guys that recently responded. I've decided not to contaminate my experience with daily logistics. Eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired, take a dump after Taco Bell, etc.

See you all out there; I leave in two weeks! X)

Ps. that analog trick for a compass is bomber.
    My ink trail.

Good luck on your thru, Rayo.

++ New Posts ++