WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone using Caldera Cone Sidewinder stoves?

I have a Caldera Cone ti Sidewinder stove with alky, ESBIT and wood burning capabilities.

>The ESBIT setup is much more efficient than my previous Vargo Triad ESBIT burner and foil windscreen. Almost 2X as efficient.

>The INFERNO wood burning insert is HOTTT! A true gassifier wood stove like the BushBuddy but collapsable and lighter.

> I don't use alky but the included alky stove is very efficient and Trail Designs has invested a lot of time perfecting it to work efficiently at all altitudes.

The Inferno insert is an extra cost option but it's great for winter camping. Only tinder & ESBIT to carry for fire starters. The wood fuel is lying all about if you're in a forested area. Set the Sidewider/Inferno on some thick sticks in compacted snow and it won't melt down. But be sure to use the ti bottom sheet over the base sticks.

Eric

Just picked one up myself a few months ago. Only used it in the yard so far, as it's my first alchy stove and I need to play with it/get the whole alchohol thing down before I get out on the trail. Was boiling the required amount of cold water for a typical FD meal in less than 9 mins, in 30 something degree temps. I can certainly wait that long! Stupid light. I bought the wood burning insert too but dont plan on using it regularly for weekend hikes, but it's certainly light backup for a longer trip. As of now, I can't come around to the thought of sooting up my new Evernew pot!!
    Pricey, but I think this set up is going to work out well for me ... Helf

check out the fissure system

I am looking into getting one, but over at Backpackinglight there are a ton of articles etc.. Highly recommended.
    "The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream...." - Jack Kerouac

++ New Posts ++