WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default being prepared

Please give me an example of being unprepared? I'm very puzzled???

Default Debating

Debating is great as one sword sharpens another.. Don't cable me as a richard cranium. I just like hearing opinions to as of why someone would rather hump 40 lb for 10 15 mile a day and be spanked with achy joints. Over doing the same with 20lb or less and feeling great at the end of the day..

Most people think you have to be loaded to own a super lite kit.. But that's not the case.. Actually the only real place you spend real coin is on you tent/tarp and your sleeping bag/ or quilt.. And if your in it for the long haul those are investments for years to come because the quality is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie2nd View Post
    Debating is great as one sword sharpens another.. Don't cable me as a richard cranium. I just like hearing opinions to as of why someone would rather hump 40 lb for 10 15 mile a day and be spanked with achy joints. Over doing the same with 20lb or less and feeling great at the end of the day..

Most people think you have to be loaded to own a super lite kit.. But that's not the case.. Actually the only real place you spend real coin is on you tent/tarp and your sleeping bag/ or quilt.. And if your in it for the long haul those are investments for years to come because the quality is there.
    'Xacty, differences of opinion make the world interesting. It takes big bucks to be on the cuttin' edge of technology but the stuff eventually filters down to us ordinary folks. You can be pretty light without spending a bucket of money.

Default Average cost

So what would you say that an average what I'll call traditional set up cost? say between 400$ an 600$?? Now if your thrifty what you can do to lighten your is buy on sale, used and some MYOG..you don't have to spend a boat load of coin to achieve a light pack.. You've just got to make wise choices when purchasing new gear.. For instance I just set my little cousin up with I light weight 3 season kit for 475 500 bones.. Between sales and second hand.. If it had been bought a full price you talking 1000 beans easy.. Just gotta be thrifty :-)

Images

Its all about the balance between hiking and camping. A terrific camp experience means hauling all sorts of stuff on your back. A terrific hiking experience means sleeping naked on the ground. Everyones balance is different.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

You are absolutely right hike you own hike... Even if it means humping 40+lb by all means whatever it takes to get out there..:-P

I'll give ya an example of lightweight vs. unprepared.

Last year on my attempted thru, I met another thruhiker briefly in the Smokies. He was hiking with a regular jansport school backpack in jeans and if I recall correctly, Nike tennis shoes. He was carrying about 8 pairs of low cut cotton socks, and had the kind of sleeping bag you buy for your kids to have a sleepover in the living room. I think it was actually Aladdin. He was bragging on how he was ultra light (compared to my 31 lbs at the time), but was completely unprepared for the cold weather in the Smokies (it was like 15 degrees). He got all pissed off because he was freezing, and couldn't get a fire started (the area was picked dry of any kind of wood), burned most of the empty pages of the shelter log, and then stormed off into the night to see if they had a fire going at the next shelter.

Oh and Woofie, no big deal on the shot, it missed. :-P

Right in private joker! That's not unprepared that's negligence/ dumb @$$

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++