WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing for june is GSMNP

Heading out mid june, What would you pack clothing wise? Will be above 4000 the better part of the trip.

For Clingmans Dome (high elevation)

Month
    High
    Low
    Monthly Precipitation
    Monthly Snowfall
    Days of Precipitation
    Jan
    7.0"
    18"
    Feb
    8.2"
    20"
    March
    8.2"
    26"
    April
    6.5"
    5"
    May
    6.0"
    T
    June
    6.9"
    July
    8.3"
    Aug
    6.8"
    Sept
    5.1"
    T
    Oct
    5.4"
    2"
    Nov
    6.4"
    5"
    Dec
    7.3"
    8"

Oh and im a very warm sleeper

Journal Entries
    Images

check the weather 10 days out & keep en eye on it, then prepare for it to be 10 degrees colder in the higher elevations. All mountains make there own weather so be prepared for cold temps, rain & possibly snow but hopfully you'll have night time temps in the 40's & highs in the low 70's. Happy Hiking!! The Smokies are amazing!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax22 View Post
    Oh and im a very warm sleeper
    I am also a very warm sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    check the weather 10 days out & keep en eye on it, then prepare for it to be 10 degrees colder in the higher elevations. All mountains make there own weather so be prepared for cold temps, rain & possibly snow but hopfully you'll have night time temps in the 40's & highs in the low 70's. Happy Hiking!! The Smokies are amazing!
    Yeah ! While Hiking we does have to take care of the night time temps. Because it's very cold temps, rain & time to time snowfall.

Images

Yeah, we hiked the Smokies in June about 6 or 7 years ago. The week before we got there they had sleet and freezing rain at Newfound Gap, then the week we hiked it was highs in the 80s and lows in the upper 60s and just nasty hot and humid. So go figure....

I would bring my summer hiking clothing, plus a rain shell and one warm layer, like a lightweight fleece ziptee.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

We reached 100° in April here in Tucson. This may take some getting use to! Do you think I'll be OK with a 3 season tent like the Big Agnes Copper Spur in March if I have a warm sleeping bag and liner? (And wool socks!!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    We reached 100° in April here in Tucson. This may take some getting use to! Do you think I'll be OK with a 3 season tent like the Big Agnes Copper Spur in March if I have a warm sleeping bag and liner? (And wool socks!!)
    For a March start, a 3-season tent is fine. The warm sleeping bag is much more important in my opinion. A 0-F bag is reasonable; a solid 15-F bag is pretty much the minimum I would take. The liners don't add much warmth for me, and I get tangled up, so I just go with a warm bag.

Clothing is important, too. Wool socks are great for sleeping, as are good long johns (I like wool but synthetic are fine too), a warm hat, and a puffy jacket that you can use inside your bag for more insulation.

Finally, don't forget your sleeping pad -- this is an often-overlooked but crucial part of staying warm while sleeping. Make sure it has an R-value appropriate to subfreezing use.

(Sorry to hijack the June-in-Smokies thread for this.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Oops! Sorry for the hijack, Duramax! Your weather table is very cool. But when I saw how much it snowed in March, I started thinking about my tent and went off on a tangent! LOL Thanks for sharing that with us...

++ New Posts ++