WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Northren GA to Franklin

I'm going to be doing a section hike from North GA to a little north of Franklin. I'm not to sure on how the weather is going to be up there on the trail at the end of May. What kind of clothing should i be looking at?

Thanks,

Chad
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed, so LIVE today!

Chad, the weather should be nice if it isn't too hot. It can always be cool in the evenings, so you might want to pack a light fleece for sitting around camp at night. I always pack a hat to sleep in too on cool nights but then again I don't have much hair on my head!
    ..guess I'll keep a livin' till the day I die...

www.trailjournals.com/chuck2008

Thanks. So pants and a T-Shirt should be fine with a light jacket added? I know this is a clothing forum but would a 45 degree sleeping bag be OK? Maybe with a liner?

Chad
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed, so LIVE today!

aka Kudzu
    Images

I know this may be obvious but check the weather and use that as a guide. April/May is usually the time I'm hiking up there and I typically take some light thermals. I was grateful a couple of years ago because it rained like hell on us and soaked everything. In addition to the rain (not in the forecast) the temp was considerably lower than anticipated. It was an incredible boost to get out of cold, wet clothes and into some dry thermals to warm myself back up.

I usually hike in convertible pants and a long-sleeve, quick-dry shirt. You can keep the sleeves rolled up but have the option of using them if the bugs are bothering you.

I will add that it seemed hotter than expected last year hiking from Deep Gap to NOC. When I hit Wayah Bald Shelter I stripped to my drawers to dry/cool off. Don't worry, I was alone.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

45 degree bag should be ok. I always take a liner just in case temps drop.

Hike in shorts and tee shirt. Carry very light long pants (or use just convertable pants) for around camp. Carry a beanie hat and 100 wt fleece for sleeping/around camp. If you carry a rain jacket, this SHOULD be fine. As mentioned, check the weather forecast before leaving.

++ New Posts ++