WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I surrender

Default I surrender

I think all you who don't see a problem with trail feeds won the debate, just by sheer numbers, but sometimes that's all it takes. I can't think of any thing else to throw at you, you won, I surrender. However, I'll still say, no thanks, to feeds and keep walking. I don't care so much about the feeds at road crossings, although I wish there was just a sign pointing down the road, but it is what it is. What I really hate is the badgering I get when I say, "no thanks", but more importantly when those feeds come into the woods, that's just wrong...but like I said, I surrender.

But I'm a little curious of how many trail feed supporters feel somewhat slighted when at an awsome overlook and someone's phone rings and then they start having a conversation. And there are many different variations of this scenario that can play out, such as someone playing a radio in this spot of that... or.... Are you'll alright with that?

I guess what my question is, what bugs you on the trail? What does it take to make you feel as though your hiking experience has been disrupted by other hikers?

What bugs me is kids/very young "adults" if you can call them that making the trek to a shelter from a nearby road and just making a total mess of the place with noise and everything else that goes on.
    The other thing is people who come in and have no sense of decency with language and the subjects they discuss. I hike with my 5 kids (10yo to 18yo) and there's no telling what they'll hear before get a chance to ask them to moderate their discussion. Most of the time it works but there are those who actually think I should move my site. I'd rather be sitting there with a dude or dudette smoking weed than that type of thing.

Images

I remember seeing some of those trail feeds in the woods and thought it was odd. One experience I can remember vividly was coming upon the smell of greasy hamburgers grilling on a bbq and the people were yelling to come on over and get some grub. I smiled and said "no thanks" and kept going.

But since you brought up the cell phone issue......that would be my number 1 complaint. I don't get why people have to make casual phone calls from the woods just to talk to their friends about nothing. Why do we all have to be subjected to it while enjoying a beautiful view. Stupid....plain stupid. Just stay home.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I think all you who don't see a problem with trail feeds won the debate, just by sheer numbers, but sometimes that's all it takes. I can't think of any thing else to throw at you, you won, I surrender. However, I'll still say, no thanks, to feeds and keep walking. I don't care so much about the feeds at road crossings, although I wish there was just a sign pointing down the road, but it is what it is. What I really hate is the badgering I get when I say, "no thanks", but more importantly when those feeds come into the woods, that's just wrong...but like I said, I surrender.
    I think people who trash the trail, shelters, etc., are a problem. Rude behavior, generally, is, too. Anyone who badgers someone to take food or drink at a hiker feed is way off base, imo, and I think most would agree.

Any otherwise benign conduct in the trail corridor CAN be a problem if taken to extremes. "Leave no trace," seems to me, are the key words.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

What bugs me on the trail and takes away from my hiking experience? Not much really, since it's still way better than a day in the office ...but if I really had to come up with something, I'd say ...

Trash and discarded gear/clothing. In the past month, we have hauled over 90 pounds of trash and discarded gear/clothing off the trail! Some shelters looks so bad with all the discarded gear and clothing that it looks like a garage sale!

Live trees being chopped down for firewood.

Noisy hikers... could be cell phone usage or just generally loud people.

Too many people.

Unleashed dogs. I have a bit of a phobia of loose dogs after several bites and attacks on myself and watching my Dad heal (both physically and mentally) after 2 pit bulls had their way with him.

But all in all, it still beats a day in the office, hands down!

Trash, trash, trash is what bothers me most. especially firepits being used as trashcans. Burning paper is OK by me but watching someone burn all those foil wrappers and plastic really sets me off. I have seen Whiteblazers even, people who supposedly have a love and appreciation of the trail, do it right in front of me. Justifying their action by saying it just "disappears". 1) no it doesn't and 2) what part of LNT and "pack it in, pack it out" do you not understand? and 3) do not feign ignorance and claim to be a member of this site. You should know better. Burning your trash in firepits is just a sign of laziness and apathy.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Actually I don't care if your phone rings when I'm looking at a view.

Not the topic of your thread but.....

Chill out dude and let me put another hamburger on the grill for you. Just a second though I have to take this call.

Images

never had trail feed. i hike off season. complaining from your computer chair just don't cut it. the next time you bypass a feed post with pics. otherwise, it didn't happen, you ain't real and i don't believe what you post.
    what bugs me? threads like this
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

When I see a hiker feed I will not just pass by without having my opinion heard. I will be sure to tell the providers that this "magic" should be done far enough from the trail so as not to offend those that may have a negative opinion of such gatherings and that although they may have good intentions they very well may be ruining the trail experience for many. I generally wait until after my second or third burger before mentioning this however.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    When I see a hiker feed I will not just pass by without having my opinion heard. I will be sure to tell the providers that this "magic" should be done far enough from the trail so as not to offend those that may have a negative opinion of such gatherings and that although they may have good intentions they very well may be ruining the trail experience for many. I generally wait until after my second or third burger before mentioning this however.
    LOL maybe they should be in camden, nj or north philly. it would do more good.

Namaste: But since you brought up the cell phone issue......that would be my number 1 complaint. I don't get why people have to make casual phone calls from the woods just to talk to their friends about nothing. Why do we all have to be subjected to it while enjoying a beautiful view. Stupid....plain stupid. Just stay home.
    Well said. Keep it off and in your pack for an emergency. Cut the cord - you're out here for a solo experience, and it's not one if you're techno-hiking.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Well said. Keep it off and in your pack for an emergency. Cut the cord - you're out here for a solo experience, and it's not one if you're techno-hiking.
    some of us are not off when hiking. i keep it on vibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Good point, you got it made
    ad astra per aspera

Same here...

I can hike with a phone or I can stay home with a phone.

Let's go hiking!

Back last spring I was hiking between Devil's Fork Gap and Erwin when we were negotiating the purchase of our house in Erwin. My phone went off during the offer/counteroffer process and when I finally got up high enough to get a signal I took off my pack and sat down and was talking with my wife about our strategy since she was doing all the stuff with the realtor.

A pack of hikers went by and the looks some of them gave me would have cut glass.... Who cares what they thought? I'm trying to buy a house.....

Bottom line: I'll take my phone and use it whenever I want to. I won't make calls in front of people just hanging out on the trail and I'm very aware when I do make a call but I'll never apologize for it.
    Last edited by 10-K; 04-09-2011 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Same here...

I can hike with a phone or I can stay home with a phone.

Let's go hiking!

Back last spring I was hiking between Devil's Fork Gap and Erwin when we were negotiating the purchase of our house in Erwin. My phone went off during the offer/counteroffer process and when I finally got up high enough to get a signal I took off my pack and sat down and was talking with my wife about our strategy since she was doing all the stuff with the realtor.

A pack of hikers went by and the looks some of them gave me would have cut glass.... Who cares what they thought? I'm trying to buy a house.....

Bottom line: I'll take my phone and use it whenever I want to. I won't make calls in front of people just hanging out on the trail and I'm very aware when I do make a call but I'll never apologize for it.
    Don't they have a 12 step program for that?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Don't they have a 12 step program for that?
    cheap shot a-hole. whats your problem????

cheap shot a-hole. whats your problem????
    My problem is people addicted to cell phones. It's bad enough in line at McDonalds or the grocery store. It's bad enough if I'm out biking and 90 % of the time when a car almost hits me and I look at the driver and they got a phone glued to the ear.
    I don't want the hear your business when I'm in the woods.
    What's your problem?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

He explained the circumstances under which he used his phone WM. You want to totally escape civilization? Then the AT is not the trail for you. May I suggest you go hike somplace at least as remote as the CDT until you can lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    My problem is people addicted to cell phones. It's bad enough in line at McDonalds or the grocery store. It's bad enough if I'm out biking and 90 % of the time when a car almost hits me and I look at the driver and they got a phone glued to the ear.
    I don't want the hear your business when I'm in the woods.
    What's your problem?
    There's a difference to being addicted to a cell phone and legitimately needing to talk with someone.

I talk on my at most (under normal conditions) __maybe__ 10 minutes or so a day and I'm not going to apologize for it.

p.s. Speaking of bicyclists - I read in the paper not too long ago about a cyclist getting critically injured because he was running redlights. There are probably as many or more boneheaded bicyclists as there are automobile drivers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++