WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why do people go NOBO or SOBO

I have a general idea of the pros and cons of each direction, but they seem pretty even to me. That said, there are many more NOBO hikers than there are SOBO, and I'm trying to figure out why. Do people fear the weather in the North? Are the black flies a huge deterrent? In the end HYOH, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on why one direction is so disproportionately more popular than the other.

For me going NOBO was just easier logistically. I salute all the SOBO's since they're starting at the toughest part of the trail. At least I had time to get my legs before the agony set in.

Because going East or West only leads to more beer.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Ding, ding, ding............ We have a winner!!

Images

Other than all the usual reasons of weather, flies, streams, blowdown, etc. that prevent starting a SOBO much before mid-June / July, and the whole "walking with spring" tradition, it's mostly just sheep following the herd / party.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Because going East or West only leads to more beer.
    apparently, there is no wobo or eobo.

Those are great trailnames.....

Most go NOBO because most are eager to get started. If you start before or after the herd you miss most of the party. It's what you prefer, or not.

Its easier to avoid this going sobo as there are less hikers that have to, or can wait, until June on...

Images

I would think that ending your hike in Georgia would be more anti-climatic than ending your hike in Maine. Maybe somebody who has done both ways could chime in. I know for me that finishing in Maine was a huge deal, it was a great ending to an awesome journey.

Images

I think if you read some of Blissful's posts, you'll get a good understanding about why do a SOBO.

Ya'll are crazy. Very funny stuff...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    I would think that ending your hike in Georgia would be more anti-climatic than ending your hike in Maine. Maybe somebody who has done both ways could chime in. I know for me that finishing in Maine was a huge deal, it was a great ending to an awesome journey.
    Well, it is a understandable thought...

I've found it to be anything but true- for many reasons- but the main one is... it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I think if you read some of Blissful's posts, you'll get a good understanding about why do a SOBO.
    Keep in mind that was a south bound over a period of four years.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanting to go NOBO because there are more people is a positive feedback.

People go north to be with more people, and there are more people going North because more people want to do it the more popular way. The argument that people want to get out there early makes sense, but I'm not sure why people don't just start going south and have an equally large community. I guess doing NH/ME at the end when you're fit also makes sense, but the reverse is that ME and NH make you a seasoned hiker pretty quick weather you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    I would think that ending your hike in Georgia would be more anti-climatic than ending your hike in Maine ....
    +1 on that. End your hike in Maine and your celebratory meal is lobster as opposed to a plate of BBQ in Georgia. Now you choose.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Speaking only for myself (as opposed to those who start their replies with generalizations like "People go north to ...") Mary and I are starting in Georgia because the timing makes more sense to us. We could care less about the party crowd. Hiking with spring sounds nice. Easing our 55+ YO legs makes sense. Avoiding black flies is a good thing. But, the timing is the prime motivator.

I will say, we most certainly don't ****ing say "Baaa..." - Well except maybe to those who make generalizations about why one group hikes a particular direction.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Coming out of flatland Illinois I don't know if I could do a SOBO. It might kill me. I like the idea of ending at Katahdin. I also like the idea of doing the Whites with trail legs.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

For me, personally, I loved the idea of ending in New England (where I am from originally and did my formative backpacking).

Some of my family and close friends were able to meet me up there.

I will also say of all the trails I've done, Katahdin was by far the most impressive ending.

Nearly 4000' [1] vertical feet gained, a memorable summit and seeing for miles and miles with nothing around but woods. Add in the whole mythology and dare I say romanticism of Katahdin itself, and it was a memorable day. Katahdin is just a damn impressive mountain visually, too. Nearly 2000' above tree line, and a sprawling massive. It looks more a Western peak than the wooded mountains of the Appalachians.

Springer, while nice, just seemed tame by comparison.

That's just me, anyway.

[1] To put it perspective, Longs Peak here in Colorado is 14300' and has just under 5000' vert gain! Less than 1000' difference!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Not to be negative, or anything, but if you hike SOBO you get to hike Katahdin for sure (or almost for sure--there are people who quit early on Day 1), while if you hike NOBO, you probably won't get there.

I think most people choose their direction because of the timing. For my work schedule at the time, hiking in the second half of the year made a lot more sense. And I liked the idea of hiking home, and the reality of it, too.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I've been sectioning since '08, which was originally planned as a TH. Logistically & physically were my main reasons for going north. A SOBO hike is a tougher hike, & different altogether,,,not as many people going that way at the start. A SOBO hike is definitely not for everyone. Someday I will TH, even after my sectioning is complete. I'm strongly considering going south for that one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++