WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What happens to them?

You guys ever notice that most of the potential thru hikers that ask questions, post comments, gather information and start threads seem to never return after their attempt-finish? Where do they go? Are they burnt out? Worn out? Embarrassed they didn't finish? Hmmmmm.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    You guys ever notice that most of the potential thru hikers that ask questions, post comments, gather information and start threads seem to never return after their attempt-finish? Where do they go? Are they burnt out? Worn out? Embarrassed they didn't finish? Hmmmmm.
    I should have said return HERE on WB.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Some of us decide to stick around.

But I know what you mean. The excitement level is obviously at an all-time high when you're planning a thru. Also, for a lot of people there simply isn't much need for loads of info once they're done.
    This is an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    fantasy and reality meet

Images

They have a real life?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    They have a real life?
    Is there life beyond the internet?!? Who knew?

on a side note i first stepped on the AT over 20 years ago. i found wb less than a year ago. just saying

Images

I don't think I'll be doing near as much reading on Whiteblaze after my attempt. Just won't be that eager for any and all information. I do say that win, lose, or draw if I'm not dead I will return to Whiteblaze with a trip update. Just don't see not making it as a failure. There are just too many people my age sitting around letting their arteries harden. So if I make it 30 miles or 2000 miles I still think I was right to at least try. And look at all the knowledge I've picked up in the process, like "It's just walking" and "Sleep with your food". I know, shouldn't poke the Wolf but just couldn't resist.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Good luck to you, Storm. I trust that you will fare well in your attempt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart View Post
    Good luck to you, Storm. I trust that you will fare well in your attempt.
    Thanks, will give my best shot. Want to at least have a scotch at Dot's.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Thanks, will give my best shot. Want to at least have a scotch at Dot's.
    ain't no scotch at Dot's. beer only. i'll buy

Wolf - Don't ever shave the beard. I have to agree that in the excitement the hikers collect what they need, post questions, but after forget about the resource here. If you think that you know everything their is about hiking after you do the trail you are seriously wrong. Gear always changes and new ways of doing things always pop up. Trails always change and first hand information here on water conditions, or shuttling information, or anything else is invaluable. To forget about WB is to your loss. Not just for information on the AT, but many other trails as well.

Images

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I thoroughly enjoy sharing information and helping others acquire knowledge. I'll be back after I'm off the AT (might be some "readjustment time" before I do, but still) and I'll be sharing what worked for me, what didn't work for me, and provide my now-first-hand experience to the pool of WB knowledge.

While I'll certainly be disappointed if I don't complete the thru, I feel that I'll be even more likely to share my experiences. One of my mottos in life has been "You only fail if you've learned nothing from a mistake". Extrapolate 'mistake' to also include 'not reaching goals' or something, and boom. It'll be a strong learning opportunity. For me, and very likely for someone else.

Plus I don't intend the AT to be my last long distance hiking experience by any means. I'll always have more to learn.

Images

I think it is very helpful for all of us who have never done any or long distance hikes, for those that really have, to chime in and give honest answers. I know it has helped me make choices. So I hope more of them tell us about there mistakes and what worked best for them. Good to see comparisons. So if you are one of the ones the OP mentioned, let us know what happened.

I for one am still around in White Blaze though far less often. My guess is that once someone has done the trail, they no longer need to ask questions, they have their experiences and opinions, and just move on with life.

DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I for one am still around in White Blaze though far less often. My guess is that once someone has done the trail, they no longer need to ask questions, they have their experiences and opinions, and just move on with life.

DavidNH

^this. No need to fret over gear/can I make it?/what if.../how do I....anymore. If i had a set of maps and/or guidebook for the other long distance trails I could pack my stuff in about 2 hours and head out the door. What I didn't know would be figured out along the way. Still enjoy hiking but don't have to "think about it" as much.

Journal Entries

I know that after leaving the trail last fall, I didn't get back on White Blaze right away. Then with this spring's attempt nearly here, I'm cruising the threads again. And, I guess I think little old lady posts are perhaps less in demand (not that they aren't useful). Maybe this will be the year of the little old lady hikers?

Images

The name of the website is WhiteBlaze.net-A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts

I've never thru-hiked or attempted one, but, I am enthusiastic about the AT.

Maybe they lost their enthusiasm or just got over it. HYOH
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Im still here too. Though after my hike I was away for a couple years. Life changed after the trail. I moved, got married, had kids. You know, life happens and things constantly are changing. Im glad I did find WB again for sure. What turtle fast said is so true. If I didnt come here I would be out of the loop so to speak. And hiking is my life among other things. I find WB a great place to come and share my experiences and take advice from those with vast amounts of knowledge well beyond me. Not all who wander are lost, they just need a little nudge back to WB
    skinny d

Images

i dunno, i think theres a lot of people on here that have come back to share. the rest were here before to find out what they needed to know, have no use for us anymore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++