WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default mileage question

can someone tell me what the mileage from togwotee pass to green river lake campground is, thanks?

Journal Entries

go to google and try appalachian trail distance calculator,.... that may help.
    eveready

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    go to google and try appalachian trail distance calculator,.... that may help.
    not for 2 points on the CDT it wont!

Well, since I don't have my topo maps with me, I looked it up on google maps and the straight line seems to be 31.6 miles.
    But, as I remember hiking that section, lots of valleys and traversing, (and suspect trail?) I'm going to guess 50.
    Now, that's from the actual pass and not the road crossing of route 26, which is almost another 2 miles.

I hope this helps.
    I think there was lots of bushwhacking in that area and maybe I heard about some bears raiding hunting camps???
    But, great part of the trail.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

If you have the time (I don't) you can download the Jonathon Ley maps here http://francistapon.com/Travels/Cont...y-Jonathan-Ley
    and figure it out.
    I may be able to do it tomorrow.
    Gotta go play some music right now.

Judging from my journals, it was somewhere between 57 and 65 miles. We did different routes through the Winds for our hikes, but the mileage was similar.

Dunno about the pass, but I from my journal I calculated from Togwotee lodge to the south end of the upper Green Lake to be about 45 miles.
    Ley is free online, can just look at the mileages he gives on the pdf files to figure this out.

FWIW, I found Togwotee lodge to be a good place to get a resupply box. Expensive to stay, but don't have to sleep there, and the breakfast buffet was great for what it cost.

Togwotee Lodge to South Pass City was my longest carry, nearly 150 miles. Given the terrain I was (ultimately) glad that I took 8 days of food. Not a ton of snow by that point, but the winds aren't a place to try for high mileage days. I was feeling a little on the hungry side by the end of that stretch.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Crap, I screwed up, looked at the wrong number; I got it at 64.5 miles from Togwotee Lodge to the south end of the upper Green Lake. Sorry for the (my) confusion.
    Gadget

I think the campground (trailhead and end of road) is at the north end of the lake.
    That's probably 2 or 3 miles long (the lake)
    But, on that stretch, what's a few miles??? (cause I don't remember a lot of trail in there, more like some dirt roads and connecting the dots and good ole cross country stuff) (man I love that kind of hiking!)

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

thanks everybody. i have someone willing to meet us at the c.g. for resupply. it'll help cut down the 8 day 150 mile carry. now about that ursack............

Going SOBO, maybe an Ursack until through the Winds, but I'd ditch it thereafter. In fact, I think I might have mailed mine home from South Pass city now that I think about it. They don't do a lot of outgoing mail there, so it was enough of a production that I remember that!
    Gadget

++ New Posts ++