WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: dog ?'ss

Default dog ?'ss

hello I have a few questions what are the best dog boots for the trail?
    how much dog food do you carry at one time?
    what do you feed?
    how do you keep your pets weight on?
    what is the best pack?
    any dog first aid tips?
    looking to hike the AT with my service dog(boxer) for vets in need of service dogs & personal resions

Images

haloboxer, welcome to Whiteblaze.
    Here's a good link to a thread that hikerboy57 posted "hiking with dogs" that will get you on the right track. I have also found that besides just reading through the dog forum here on Whiteblaze youtube is a wealth of info.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by haloboxer View Post
    hello I have a few questions what are the best dog boots for the trail?
    how much dog food do you carry at one time?
    what do you feed?
    how do you keep your pets weight on?
    what is the best pack?
    any dog first aid tips?
    looking to hike the AT with my service dog(boxer) for vets in need of service dogs & personal resions
    to White Blaze! There is a wealth of information to be found at this site.

Your questions are a little difficult to answer because there really is no "one best answer." Like people, every dog is different - Please keep in mind that works best for my dogs, might not work best for your dog. With that, I will give you answers based on what I do for my dogs (black lab - golden retriever mix).

My dogs have Ruff Wear boots. Not all dogs will tolerate boots, but I started training my dogs with boots when they were pups. We get some really cold winters in the NE. My dogs wear their boots on the rocks, or when it is too clod/icy/snowy out. Other than that, they run around barefoot (barepaw?). On longer walks, I check their paws frequently, but hold off on putting the dog boots on them because dogs have Eccrine glands are located (on the nose and) in the pads of the dog's feet. Eccrine glands secrete moisture and sweat to help the dog stay cool. If the dogs get too hot, they are subject to heatstroke.

The amount of food one carries really does vary based on breed, appetite, the dog's metabolism... This would be a great question for your vet.

Be careful if you opt to change your dog's diet. It might not be in the dog's best interest... Some dogs have finicky stomachs. This answer will also very depending on breed of dog. Another really good question for your vet.

The best way to keep your dog's weight on is to be vigilant. If you keep are in tune with your dog, then your dog will tell you when you need to increase their feed. Appearance, energy levels, change in weight, increased/decreased searching for food... These are just some of the ways you will know if you need to adjust the amount you are feeding your dog.

The best pack is the one that is the most comfortable for your dog. You will want to make sure the rub points (chest, under front legs, back, etc) are padded and comfortable for your dog. Just like with people, there is no one best answer. Ruff Wear makes an awesome pack. Mountain Smith makes a great dog pack. Will this pack be going over a standard guide harness? You may need to have a custom pack made for your dog. Bill Irwin hiked the AT with his guide dog, Orient. In his book (Blind Courage), he talked about some of the issues of hiking with a guide dog. This might be a good place to research what issues Orient had with diet, paws, his pack... The main issues with the pack are to not put too much weight in the dog's pack and keep an eye out for any developing sores.

The Red Cross has first aid tips for dogs. There is also Field Guide to Dog First Aid - Randy Acker.

I hope this information helps get you started.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default dog ?'ss

Excellent response WR. I too would recommend reading Bill's book, at least for issues hiking with his service dog. If memory serves he actually used two service dogs because it was too much for the dog he started with.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Here are few posts we've done on backpacking with our Weimaraner. Not an expert, everyone is different, but happy to share what works for us. :-)

Hiking with a Dog Part 1
    Hiking with a Dog Part 2
    Gear List

Just some helpful info. If you are worried about weight and looking for a high protein high calorie dog food, try this combination. Native dog food lvl 4, and pair it up with a few turbo pup bars. Look at the nutrition info and you will be pleasantly surprised. Then add in the food scrapes we all feed our loved ones and you should be golden. Highly recommend both products.

Default dog ?'ss

I have a boxer too! He wears ruff wear boots & has no problem with them!

++ New Posts ++