Default Guthook's PCT Guides for the iPhone

Hey fellow PCTers.

Paul Bodnar (author of Pocket PCT) and I have just put the finishing touches on a Pacific Crest Trail iPhone app and we thought you'd be interested. The first app, "Guthook's Hiking Guides: PCT SoCal" covers from Mexico to Tehachapi. The remainder of the trail will be available soon, and hopefully in the future there will be more trail systems to add.

Check it out at the App Store, or www.guthooksguides.com and let me know what you think!

Downloaded!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan2 View Post
    Downloaded!
    Thank you kindly, good sir! Let me know how you like it... and let your friends know, too

Awesome. If I were doing the PCT this year, 100% would I be getting this. Great work.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Anything for the Kindle? Or any other recommendations for it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Awesome. If I were doing the PCT this year, 100% would I be getting this. Great work.
    Thanks, ChinMusic. If you plan on hiking in New England anytime in the near future, keep an eye out. The first apps are all PCT-based, but I intend to have a lot of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont based apps in the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by runfifty View Post
    I don't know of anything that's available for Kindle, since it hasn't been on my radar so far. I'm hoping to expand to other devices besides the iPhone sometime in the future, but the first priority in that case would be Android, and I'm not even sure when that will happen. I'll keep the forums informed, whatever happens.

Looking forward to your New England content. It's really needed as there is not much out there for hiking apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack2003 View Post
    Looking forward to your New England content. It's really needed as there is not much out there for hiking apps.
    Thanks for the support, Lumberjack. Unfortunately the content for New England will be kind of small this spring-- Monadnock and Camden Hills State Park (two of my favorite places). If I had more time I'd be out every day working on getting more trail data, but I'm taking it slow and steady for now. Bigger trail systems will be coming at the end of the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by runfifty View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-.../dp/0899973698

This is convenient

For anyone interested, the second section should be available in the App Store tomorrow, covering from Tehachapi to Echo Lake, so the entire region of the High Sierra with King's Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite National Parks. This link should be active tomorrow. Also, if anyone has tried the apps so far, I'd love to hear what you think.

Cheers.

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, I'd just like to point out that my PCT guides up to and including Oregon are available now. Washington should be available before Kickoff. Big thanks to everyone who's already downloaded copies. I hope you enjoy the apps!

www.guthooksguides.com

This looks brilliant! Just a couple of questions: Where did the raw data (track and waypoint) come from? If I use an I touch, all features (except gps and 3G) are available, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lvnv1212 View Post
    This looks brilliant! Just a couple of questions: Where did the raw data (track and waypoint) come from? If I use an I touch, all features (except gps and 3G) are available, right?
    Thanks!

The raw data for the PCT all comes from my hiking buddy and sort-of-business-partner Paul Bodnar, who wrote and publishes Pocket PCT. His data comes from his 2010 through-hike, and he'll be updating a lot of the info this year on another through-hike. Data for the other trail systems that I'll be making all comes from me. Basically, the two of us have spent a lot of time on trail with GPS's in the past few years.

The apps will definitely run on the iPod Touch, as well, and with all the features except GPS. Someone over on the PCT 2012 facebook page is about to start a through-hike with a SPOT device that gives his iPod Touch a GPS signal, so I'm waiting to see how that works out. Sounds like an interesting possibility.

Or if you don't want to spend the money, you can download Postholer's data book, and Halfmire's maps, and put them both on your Kindle, which is what I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Or if you don't want to spend the money, you can download Postholer's data book, and Halfmire's maps, and put them both on your Kindle, which is what I've done.
    Bix,

1) Have you watched the demo?
    2) Did you really download Halfmiles maps and NOT donate? Really?
    3) The total costs of the Guthooks apps are minimal

Bix,

1) Have you watched the demo?
    2) Did you really download Halfmiles maps and NOT donate? Really?
    3) The total costs of the Guthooks apps are minimal
    I'm fairly certain the $ he is referring to saving is on the kindle version of the data book, not the app. Thank you for sharing.

I'm fairly certain the $ he is referring to saving is on the kindle version of the data book, not the app. Thank you for sharing.
    ...and my comment was snarky and uncalled for. I apologize.

...and my comment was snarky and uncalled for. I apologize.
    Don't worry about it

But I would most certainly download these apps if I was taking a phone with me! They look great.

Hello once again! The Washington section just hit the App Store today, which means the entire PCT is now on the App Store! Check out the whole lineup here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/gu...es/id503652260. Thanks again to everyone who's been supportive of this project. I'm already working on some updates with new features for the apps as we speak.

++ New Posts ++