WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Snake bites on the Appalachian Trail

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a venomous snake bite on the AT? Not read about in a log book, not heard about from your cousin. Not in your back yard or on some other trail.
    Does anyone know any one that was bitten? Does anyone know of any news reports of anyone bitten?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Somewhere on here is a reputable report from a newspaper about a woman being bit by a copperhead walking to a privy from a shelter. If I remember right there were a few people here on WB that confirmed it.

But, no, I haven't *personally* met anyone.

Last edited by 10-K; 07-11-2011 at 15:51.

Ok, since I started this thread for your benefit, I'll humor you. That was a male, and after more research he was a STUPID boy.

Alex Rieger, of Lake Zurich, was excited when he saw a snake on the Appalachian Trail he was hiking with his sister in Tennessee.

But he bothered what turned out to be a poisonous copperhead when he picked it up, held it and got a picture in before it bit his left hand.
    "I found it and I was playing with it and it bit me," Rieger said. "I didn't know it was poisonous until it bit me."
    http://67.151.102.46/story/?id=303144
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

I've heard of exactly 4 people on (not near) the A.T. that were bitten by venemous snakes in recent years. (Not talking scared, struck at, barely missed, etc. I'm talking bitten). In 3 of these cases, I'm positive the people involved were part of the problem (teasing the snake, messing with it, picking it up on a Leki pole, trying to arrange a cool photo op, etc). In at least one case (and maybe two, stories are different) we're talking about folks trying to do a Steve Irwin "Hey, dudes! Check this out!!" thing and tried to pick the snake up. In 15-odd years I've heard of exactly ONE classic case of a guy walking, minding his own business, walks past a snake and gets struck at and bitten out of the blur. It simply doesn't happen that often. Moral of story: Stay awake, pay attention, be extra alert in snake country (like central PA); avoid hiking at night and put your music toys (i.e. anything with earpods) away for awhile as in MOST cases, the rattler will give you a warning. But most of all, respect the animal; you're a visitor in HIS home; don't mess with him, rile him, screw with him; don't leave him scared and all pissed off so the next poor SOB who comes down the trail 15 minutes later has to deal with a snake with an attitude, and most important.....don't try and have fun with him and for heaven's sake, don't try and pick him up. Do all this and your chances of getting bitten by a poisonous snake on the A.T. approach zero.

Images

Great question wingedmonkey. I've never heard of anyone being bit but I did have two close encounters in NJ last summer with rattle snakes. I'd have to imagine that there have been at least a couple thru hikers bit by poisonous snakes.

The only ones that would be bitten are the ones that decide to poke them with sticks and piss them off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    The only ones that would be bitten are the ones that decide to poke them with sticks and piss them off.
    wrong.Its pretty easy to step on a rattler in the summer if you're not paying attention.Oustside of surprising one, or stepping on one, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Ok, since I started this thread for your benefit, I'll humor you. That was a male, and after more research he was a STUPID boy.

http://67.151.102.46/story/?id=303144
    I *thought* you might have had me in mind when you start this one....

The stupid boy comment reminds me of my office manager.... One of her favorite lines when she hangs up after dealing with a difficult person is "Another stupid man".

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I *thought* you might have had me in mind when you start this one....

The stupid boy comment reminds me of my office manager.... One of her favorite lines when she hangs up after dealing with a difficult person is "Another stupid man".
    I like the way the original 911 report said he was bitten gathering firewood. I guess he couldn't keep his mouth shut with his sister telling on him. Would love to see the pics he took.

Close to the AT? In '99 or '00 we pulled into the Shining Rock Wilderness parking lot for a quick overnight just as a guy was being taken out with a bite to the leg. He was picking blueberries and waded into someone else's territory.

I've seen copperheads many times; twice that I recall on the AT. Every time they are just doing what snakes often do which is sunning themselves in the middle of the trail. They are magnificent creatures especially during high summer when they are big and orange. I guess that's mating season?
    Just like flying, it is best to see and avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    I was not on the AT but a few years back when following a river on the SC/NC border we came to a spot that was blocked by a huge boulder so we went around it on the shore which was steep and wooded. I stepped into some thick leaves and right on top of a rattle snake... I thought I had stepped in a yellow jacket nest when I first felt the bite then looked down to see the snake coming out from under the leaves. By the time we hiked back to the parking area a few miles away I had to pick my right leg up with my hands in order to move it. Ended up not being given anti-venom and instead was pumped full of steroids and pain pills for 2 weeks until the swelling subsided.

I bring this up since it was in the Appalachians and was not an incident where the snake was provoked, just bad luck with a snake buried under leaves and a wrong step. Accidents DO happen...

The things to keep in mind when snake bit are, don't cut an X into the wound for bloodletting... it just opens the wound for infection... wrap a tourniquet to slow the flow of blood but not so tight you stop the flow completely like you would with a bleeding wound, stay calm & keep your heart rate down. Do what you can to get help but if help is not around slowly make your way to the closest high traffic area to be found without getting your heart rate up. Fighting the actual spread of the venom is very important.

I live out on my farm which is half thickly wooded. There are Cane Brake Rattlers, Copperheads and Cottonmouths. Big ones and in the yard and around the house. Well, I guess not Cottonmouths anymore because of out exceptional drought over the last years. Anyway, I have snake-dar, I am always looking looking looking for snakes. I sure would be embarrassed if I got bit on the AT!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Images

I've hiked over 4000 miles and have evenstepped right on a timber rattler - mostpeople are bitten on their hand fa king withthem - never heard of a report on theAT - have heard of anaphalyxis frombee stings though - much more dangerousfrom a percentage standpoint.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Does anyone know any one that was bitten?
    Keep in mind, even if bitten, MANY snake bites of humans are "dry" bites; the snake does not waste venom on something it cannot kill and swallow.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Keep in mind, even if bitten, MANY snake bites of humans are "dry" bites; the snake does not waste venom on something it cannot kill and swallow.

RainMan

True, but I'm also of the opinion that a lot of "dry bites" are people bitten by non venomous snakes that are trying to explain why nothing happened, when they are
    "sure" it was.

Images

I work EMS in the Duncannon area and I know of a section hiker that was bit in the finger by a Copperhead last summer. He was building a fire at the Cove Mountain Shelter and picked up the wrong log.

I stepped right on a non-poisonous snake once on the trail - he blended well with his environment, and I simply didn't see him. My hiking partner saw me step on the snake and she screamed. Snake wasn't hurt, he moved on, and my partner and I were certainly more careful the rest of the trip.

Another time, I was hiking and did see a rattler in the middle of the trail. He didn't rattle at all - made no sound. The area on both sides of the trail was very overgrown, and I was not inclined to go off the trail (snake may have had friends or a wife or kids in the brush). My hiking partner that time was a guy, who tried everything he could to make the snake move on. It wouldn't budge. Finally my friend used my hiking stick to pick the snake up and toss him off the trail so we could pass. I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been there. . . hiked backwards?. . . I know I wouldn't have picked that snake up!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I've hiked over 4000 miles and have even stepped right on a timber rattler - .
    I would still be cleaning out my pants if I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Another time, I was hiking and did see a rattler in the middle of the trail. He didn't rattle at all - made no sound. The area on both sides of the trail was very overgrown, and I was not inclined to go off the trail (snake may have had friends or a wife or kids in the brush). My hiking partner that time was a guy, who tried everything he could to make the snake move on. It wouldn't budge. Finally my friend used my hiking stick to pick the snake up and toss him off the trail so we could pass. I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been there. . . hiked backwards?. . . I know I wouldn't have picked that snake up!
    I also came across a rattlesnake that didn't rattle until I passed him. He was in the grass on the edge of the trail (in this section the trail was only about a foot wide) so I and the person behind me must have come really close to stepping on him, because once we passed by about two steps we heard that distinctive rattle sound. I guess he was in a slumber and we woke him by walking by. The point being is that they don't always warn you to stay away like everyone likes to say. Sometime they're just like a little landmines, well hidden just waiting to be stepped on.

It really gave me an appreciation for their camouflage; it's easy to spot them when you're looking for them, i.e. the camouflage is practically useless. However, when you're not looking (overwhelming majority of your time) it really does just look like a pile of leaves in the grass.

BTW, this grass was very short, after looking back at the snake sitting there I couldn't believe I didn't see it, it was there in plain sight. And I walked within inches right by it, could of easily stepped on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++