WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default sacrifice in the name of UL

So i have bought and been using my ultralight gear, so far a big sacrifice has been pockets for me, both my down and rain coat dont have pockets. find my self trying to place my hands in there all the time.

what do you find in your gear sacrificed?
    Please visit my blog and Let me know what ya Think please!
    >>>>>>>http://hikeul.blogspot.com/
    <<<<<<<

The thing that I miss the most is having all of those extra clothes to make a great pillow. I used to have all of them stuff in a bag and then put them in the hood of my sleeping bag. Now all I have to rest my head on is a rolled up rain coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    The thing that I miss the most is having all of those extra clothes to make a great pillow. I used to have all of them stuff in a bag and then put them in the hood of my sleeping bag. Now all I have to rest my head on is a rolled up rain coat.
    Ditto. Also, when I "go" ultralite, I miss camp shoes and a separate coffee mug to drink the morning joe. I don't always hike ultralight...mainly in the warmer parts of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy_toes View Post
    Warmth when it's cold!!

I miss my GF but boy did that lighten my load!

It boils down to one thing- comfort.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    It boils down to one thing- comfort.
    That pretty much says it all. And comfort is different for everyone.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

So i have bought and been using my ultralight gear, so far a big sacrifice has been pockets for me, both my down and rain coat dont have pockets. find my self trying to place my hands in there all the time.

nothing. I enjoy the experience far more as an ultralighter than I ever did carrying junk.

I hope you did your sacrifice the UL god properly, burning your pockets and tags and loose threads on a UL altar made of pumice.

Garlic
    Images

This reminds me of the hiker I met on the AT who found out I hiked without a stove, and she asked, "So what else do you give up?" I was confused by the question. I choose to hike without a stove, or pockets, or a knife, because it makes my hike better, not worse. If it doesn't make things better overall, don't do it.

I do realize that the design of any gear is a compromise--weight for features is a big one, ventilation for weatherproofing is another, etc.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Well said. It's not really a compromise so much as the optimization of multiple variables, to maximize whatever it is that you are going for. Also, when it ends up not only optimal, but also beautiful, then you know you are done, at least for the time being. Good design, and living, should draw most of its inspiration from nature, especially when nature is what you are after.

I've hear it said, several times, that "ultralight" is really a word with many definitions. And I've read plenty of forums on Backpacking Light where hard-core SUL hikers have said that the definitions arise from standards that are truly arbitrary. Does having a base weight of +10 lb count you out of the running for the title, "Ultralight Backpacker?" Hardly, IMO.

What's ultralight for you isn't ultralight for someone else. And what's looks like a sacrifice to you is nothing to someone else. The bottom line: if you have cut down you base to the lowest weight you can without making you feel you are running a risk of injury, pain, illness or misery, you can call yourself an ultralight backpacker.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

I agree with those who say they are more comfortable overall because they have gone ultralight. There's no question about it.

But in the spirit of the original question, one of the few sacrifices (other than money) has been the larger knife that I used to carry. I've switched to the Leatherman Style which is a great little ultralight knife, and provides everything that I "need", but falls short of what a larger knife can do. Anotherl thing is durability. Ultralight materials are expensive and some don't last as long as their heavier counterparts and need to be handled more carefully. The final thing I've sacrificed is my can of Dinty Moore Stew (yes, I used to carry a can as my one comfort meal for multi-day hikes).

In the end, those are very small sacrifices and I look back and wonder why I didn't cast them off sooner. I'll never go back to a heavy pack.

Have to agree on pockets. I did not even have pockets in my pants or shorts, only one shirt pocket in hiking shirt. I used a belt pouch to carry essentials around shelter areas/camp or town whenever I did not have my pack with me. Essentials=money, ID, iPhone, headlamp, lighter, etc.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Yep, when I have everthing on I don't have nothin' for a pillow.

I have appply many UL concepts to my gear list. As a result, I am typically more comfortable while hiking and less comfortable while camping.

Seems like a fair trade-off to me.

Journal Entries

Im very comfortable hiking and enjoy hiking a lot more i agreed!

But I didnt start out like this and the change I can find weird.
    Please visit my blog and Let me know what ya Think please!
    >>>>>>>http://hikeul.blogspot.com/
    <<<<<<<

I don't know what people call UL but I've lightened my load considerably in the last 5 years. Base weight in the summer is now 10lbs without the bear canister, 12lbs with.

I think my current set-up is more comfortable than my older one that was 6-8lbs heavier. Part of that is newer options available for UL gear that don't sacrifice much. My rain coat has given-up significant durability but other than that I cannot think of one area where I've sacrificed much. In fact my current sleeping pad is much more comfortable and I carry an inflatable pillow too.

Images

This year I am going with a diy pack that weighs 12oz. I think I will miss my osprey and the frame that keeps it off my back, but being 3 lbs lighter, maybe I won't care.

I use Gator aid or Aquafina type bottles so no more heavy Nalgene water bottles. I used to take one Nalgene to store crackers in to not get crushed. I can't do the hot water bottle on chilly nights.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++