WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There really isn't an effective way to mark contaminated sources because:

The nasty viruses don't live long - a matter of days, usually - in the environment. Where you'll hit nasty viral contamination, it's because someone upstream from you did something they shouldn't: defecated on the surface, put a cathole close to water or dug one too shallow so that animals spread the material, or defecated or bathed in a stream. Since that can happen anywhere, there's no ready way to list contaminated sources. The presence of dense and undisciplined human populations is a clue, I suppose. But waterborne viruses aren't much of a worry - you're much more likely to get something in your food from another hiker's unwashed hands.

Bacteria are much more of a worry, but every treatment method deals well with them.

Protozoa can be almost anywhere in backcountry water because they have a significant animal reservoir - beavers, in particular, are often implicated. Filtration removes them effectively. Aqua Mira is less effective, but good enough that I use it.

Chemicals - there are a couple of streams from 'hot spots' in Pennsylvania. They're marked. Aside from that, I avoid water from the Surebridge and Doodletown brooks in Harriman because it tastes vile - it surely contains transition-metal salts, although I couldn't say if the levels are worrisome. Otherwise, there are few worries; for the most part, the trail doesn't go downstream of mines.

What do I do? Filter if the temperatures are warm enough that I don't worry about my filter freezing. Aqua Mira in colder weather or if I'm really trying hard to cut the pack weight.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I don't think you understand the cost of what you want done. It's about all water quality people can do just keeping up with the quality of drinking water for our towns and cities, doing the same for the wilderness, where there isn't anyone to collect taxes from, etc., is very costly and not really effective. You should always treat your water, if you choose to add filtering, all the better. Don't ask the government to keep a list of "clean" water streams on the AT. They would have to setup some sort of fee collection and I doubt most of us can afford it.

Viruses? First Need XLE Elite Water Purifier is certified to EPA Guide Standard for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses; removes giardia and cryptosporidia
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    One of the best stories I learned was testing a filter.... get a glass and put food coloring in it and pump it to another glass.... much of the dye should not get through... I have never tested it but some swear by it for finding a good filter.
    First Need used to supply a very small bottle of blue dye to check your filter while in the field. The water comes out completely clear with the First Need filter. Most filters do not remove the dye.

http://generalecology.com/category_p...e_url=portable
    Last edited by Tinker; 03-06-2013 at 00:20.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

also, don't let people dip their grubby hands into your gorp
    "find what you love and let it kill you" -c.b.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++