WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Do the ponies bite?
    Not as much as this thread does.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Not as much as this thread does.
    This thread doesn't bite...cause it blows.

Images

You have too much time to think!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dillard View Post
    The ATC has already provided us with this definition. From their website:

"A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey. Completing the entire estimated 2,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail in one trip is a mammoth undertaking. Each year, thousands of hikers attempt a thru-hike; only about one in four make it all the way."
    pretty spot on, I'd say

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie Master View Post
    Exactly... I hike when I can, and the end goal is to walk every mile of white blazes sometime before I die. I probably won't get the opportunity to attempt what most would define as a "thru hike" until I retire, and I'm good with that -- because when I'm out there, the satisfaction isn't about what someone calls me, or how many miles I logged today, it's simply being on the trail... I long for the smell of the decaying leaves on the forrest floor, and the sound of the wind in the trees at night... It puts everything in perspective.
    i share this point of view, and although one of these days i will feel pride when i can finally say "i thru hiked the AT." but in the meantime i havent been so singel minded and its allowed me to explore many other trails that i wouldnt have seen if i had been a bit more obsessive. when i meet nobos every summer in the whites or ME., i see how theyre racing through to the end they can so clearly see now, while not being able to spend more timee in some of the most beautiful areas off the AT itself. the pemi in NH is amazing. the trails north of adams and madison, spectacular and challenging.i love the at and ive been sectioning it for a long time,but i dont really care what category i fall into. im a card carrying nonconformist anyway.

1. Hiker
    2. Hiker
    3. Hiker
    4. Hiker
    5. Hiker
    6. Groupie
    This is an adventure.

Images

The ATC has already provided us with this definition. From their website:

"A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey. Completing the entire estimated 2,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail in one trip is a mammoth undertaking. Each year, thousands of hikers attempt a thru-hike; only about one in four make it all the way."
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Weeeee!!!!
    i KNEW it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2012 View Post
    i KNEW it!
    Your probily real handy to have around at Chrismas time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post

H
    ere are the questions that has come to my mind:

1-What do you call a hiker that has thru-hiked AT multiple times? A thru hiker?

2- What do you call a hiker who has thru-hiked AT just once in one calendar year? A thru-hiker??

3- What do you call a hiker who is on the trail to attempt a thru-hike for the first time? A thru-hiker???

4- What do you call a hiker that has hiked all the AT from end to end in two summers for instance?
    A thru-hiker????

5- What do you call a hiker who has hiked all the AT from end to end in sections in ten years for instance? A thru hiker?????

Personally I think we need to choose some terms or phrases specifically for each and every of these five groups and use it here in Whiteblaze and stick to it to the point that it gets popular first here in WB and second hopefully over the AT . This way we can differentiate these five different categories for the matter of reference and discussions.

My suggestion for the terms of these five categories is like this:

1- Multiple thru-hiker
    2- thru-hiker
    3- thru-hiker to be
    4- Chunk thru-hiker
    5- section thru-hiker

And finally:
    6-what do you call a guy like me that has zero miles on AT and rambles all the time online about AT ? My Suggestion: Cyber thru-hiker or zero thru-hiker or bored thru-hiker...!!!???,,,

Love to know about your terms and definitions?

Yours

Kookork
    Avid outdoorsmen?
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-03-2012 at 18:39.

Images

real men of genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes:1262544
    Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post

H
    ere are the questions that has come to my mind:

1-What do you call a hiker that has thru-hiked AT multiple times? A thru hiker?

2- What do you call a hiker who has thru-hiked AT just once in one calendar year? A thru-hiker??

3- What do you call a hiker who is on the trail to attempt a thru-hike for the first time? A thru-hiker???

4- What do you call a hiker that has hiked all the AT from end to end in two summers for instance?
    A thru-hiker????

5- What do you call a hiker who has hiked all the AT from end to end in sections in ten years for instance? A thru hiker?????

Personally I think we need to choose some terms or phrases specifically for each and every of these five groups and use it here in Whiteblaze and stick to it to the point that it gets popular first here in WB and second hopefully over the AT . This way we can differentiate these five different categories for the matter of reference and discussions.

My suggestion for the terms of these five categories is like this:

1- Multiple thru-hiker
    2- thru-hiker
    3- thru-hiker to be
    4- Chunk thru-hiker
    5- section thru-hiker

And finally:
    6-what do you call a guy like me that has zero miles on AT and rambles all the time online about AT ? My Suggestion: Cyber thru-hiker or zero thru-hiker or bored thru-hiker...!!!???,,,

Love to know about your terms and definitions?

Yours

Kookork
    Avid outdoorsmen?
    +1 on Avid outdoorsman but gotta bring a satellite tv.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    +1 on Avid outdoorsman but gotta bring a satellite tv.
    and a mini fridge that works off gun powder.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    How about forgetting labels and just enjoy the hike, regandless of what others think or brand you as? I know the idea sounds nuts, but it just might work.

Here is a most logical suggestion.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Logical and Hooch in the same post. will wonders never cease
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Logical and Hooch in the same post. will wonders never cease
    Freaky, ain't it?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    1. Hiker
    2. Hiker
    3. Hiker
    4. Hiker
    5. Hiker
    6. Groupie
    +1 seen to many thru-hikers trying to claim special priveledges cuzz they are a "Thru-hiker" Been there done that. To me the section hiker is ones that deserve respect. Hike just long enough to get in great shape & have to get off the trail for another year. To go through that break in year after year. I respect section hikers & hold them in high esteem.

Keep it simple, through hiker (completed whole AT), section hiker. If you want an "i'm better than you badge, cause...." You can find that online in multiple places.... You hiked the whole thing or you sectioned hiked...
    "This side towards enemy" instructions for U.S. Army claymore mine

Images

in one uninterrupted journey
    but what is uninterrupted??? take of a week because sick, leave trail for 2 weeks for a family wedding, 1 month off to gain weight back, 2 months off because its hot, 3 months off to earn more $, but you still hike all blazes in the same year. when is it uninterrupted?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    but what is uninterrupted??? take of a week because sick, leave trail for 2 weeks for a family wedding, 1 month off to gain weight back, 2 months off because its hot, 3 months off to earn more $, but you still hike all blazes in the same year. when is it uninterrupted?
    You mean I could stretch this out for years on end? What about a yo-yo where you hike half your gear 10 miles up the trail and then hike back for the other half? you could get in three thru hikes at once that way

Question on White Blaze etiquette; Should I be allowed to post on this forum, Thru - Hiker Specific Topics / Q & A,s ? I have not completed a thru hike, I haven't even attempted a thru hike. When I do attempt my thru hike I will be a "Thru hiker" until I am off the trail. Then I will be a "2000 Miler or a Non Hacker, (a term reserved only for myself). I don't much care what anyone else considers me or calls me, except when I'm wearing a kilt, that could initiate a very short discussion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++