WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I have had 2 pair of Leki poles and always remove the straps. Its just how I like it and I know they are there for a reason. What I wanted to say was every year I run into the Leki rep in Hot Springs and He always gets on my case for removing them. The first couple of years it kinda of ticked me off , now i just think its funny and I hope to see him again this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Or you can get Pacer Poles. They don't have a strap, just a small loop to hold them upright if you let one go. The grip is incredibly intuitive and comfortable.

+1

PacerPoles are unique and exceedingly comfortable to use.

Virginia Tortoise

The first time that you fall into a raging creek/stream/river in New England, you will be glad that you have straps on your poles. If you didn't, there's a good chance that they would float away.

I wear my Leki straps loose. Loose enough that if I press down on my wrist, my hand grabs the bottom have of the grip. If find this a good alternative. Then, when I need full power I grab the entire grip and the straps are loose around my wrist. It also means I can just roll my wrist and go to a "palm on top", downhill, mode. I have taken a few spills and with the loose straps the poles have just flopped out of the way while staying attached. Not all poles have straps long enough for this so one might want to try a few different options.

Straps (when used correctly) are what enable your upper body muscles to engage, VERSUS the fragile joints in your hand. Tension in the hand can aggravate wrists, elbows and forearms.

Here's a video tutorial. For relief, wear simple bike gloves.
    Jayah Faye Paley
    Helping people more safely & completely enjoy their outdoor adventures.
    http://polesformobility.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/PoleWalking

Journal Entries

thank you for the video....
    eveready

Images

Adventurebuddies' video and moytoy's picture show the right way to use the straps, usually.
    When you're generating real force this is the way to do it; it reduces strain on your hands and wrists. Cross country skiers do it this way. It's instructive to watch video of cross skiers.

If you're using them for balance in rock hopping it doesn't matter as much. Crossing a stream on rocks where the pole might get stuck, I wouldn't use the straps -- better to lose the pole than to fall badly.

I read the journal of one older thru-hiker with bad knees who had to use poles to assist him going up hills. He ended up leaving the trail because of hand/wrist problems caused by using the poles incorrectly.

I put my 4 fingers and palm into my strap. I don't put it around my wrist. This gives me the ability to still use my fingers and hands, keep my pole or let it go with out it locking on my hand and giving me a bad jerk. I use the strap that way so I can lean heavy on my pole and not have to have the kungfu death grip. It also gives me enough room to palm the top of the pole on real steep or tricky stuff.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    quick question about the straps on my new hiking poles. would it be a good idea to cut these things off? seems like they would be aggravating after awhile.
    I cut mine off because I don't use them. I do the same with my ski poles. After I broke my thumb many years ago because I fell skiing with the pole strapped on....they are history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++