WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spirits!

Default Spirits!

i have quite a few miles on my back but a couple of weeks ago i got my first taste of the AT. and one thing that i noticed was that everyone seemed to have a nip of something! at night flasks would be passed around in order to wind down. in the morning flasks would be brought out again to give a little boost for the day. everyone had something but me. i'm more curious than anything else. is this the typical thru-hiker experience?

i thought that maybe it was an AT thing since the AT is a social creature, but then i watched a documentary on the CDT. i don't remember the name but it involved a british duo - one of them went by the name cookie. either way, they carried entire .750 and full liter bottles with them the entire way!

so maybe its a long distance hiking thing?
    don't people worry about getting fined for drinking in public or doing so on public lands?
    is this a quirk of long distance backpacking that i had no clue about and i'm missing out on?
    what makes it so attractive?

discretion usually goes a long way with the law when it comes to alcohol
    there are usually enough drunken fools running interference for the rest of us
    failing that, you just have to step up and be the idiot yourself now and then

Journal Entries

Default Yes

Not sure about everyone else since I'm a beginner. I plan on having blueberry shine!

if you run into rangers on the trail, which i have once or twice they are usually looking for illegal substances that are non alcoholic. I dont think any law enforcement official is gonna mind if you have a tiny flask with you and are not causing any trouble to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by the thinker View Post
    i have quite a few miles on my back but a couple of weeks ago i got my first taste of the AT. and one thing that i noticed was that everyone seemed to have a nip of something! at night flasks would be passed around in order to wind down. in the morning flasks would be brought out again to give a little boost for the day. everyone had something but me. i'm more curious than anything else. is this the typical thru-hiker experience?

i thought that maybe it was an AT thing since the AT is a social creature, but then i watched a documentary on the CDT. i don't remember the name but it involved a british duo - one of them went by the name cookie. either way, they carried entire .750 and full liter bottles with them the entire way!

so maybe its a long distance hiking thing?
    don't people worry about getting fined for drinking in public or doing so on public lands?
    is this a quirk of long distance backpacking that i had no clue about and i'm missing out on?
    what makes it so attractive?
    Nothing wrong with a little bubbly,snort,shot,a bit of the alright,top of the mourning,rise and shine,mountain dew,Whisky,but not all of us drink.....anymore.

Or anythting else so long as your not blowing smoke in thier face

So long as you don't over do it, having a little something at the end of the day to ease the pain and to wind down is always nice. Having copious amounts of spirts seems to be more of a section/weekend hiker thing than with thru-hikers, except maybe in the early stages. It's not easy to get anything but beer along the AT until you get into Virginia, and only in the last 10 years or so has beer even been available in towns along the AT in NC and GA. They all used to be dry towns or counties.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    Or anything else so long as your not blowing smoke in their face

So long as you don't over do it, having a little something at the end of the day to ease the pain and to wind down is always nice. Having copious amounts of spirits seems to be more of a section/weekend hiker thing than with thru-hikers, except maybe in the early stages. It's not easy to get anything but beer along the AT until you get into Virginia, and only in the last 10 years or so has beer even been available in towns along the AT in NC and GA. They all used to be dry towns or counties.
    You can always get "Shine"check with your Conciair(trail shuttler)them guys can get anything...don't forget to TIP.

Images

yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Images

It's not just a hiking thing it's pretty much world-wide. And it's perfectly legal to drink on most of the trail, actually Fontana Dam is the only place I remember where it wasn't legal because of TVA laws. They sell beer at the Waysides in Shenandoah National Park and expect you to drink them at the picnic tables outside. As for what makes it attractive? A lot of people enjoy their alcohol and this just carries over to the trail. I prefer to hike out a few 24oz beers from a convenience store but whiskey has a better weight to alcohol content ratio for the longer stretches.

Images

Since I got a few nips from an off duty ranger (on an overnighter) in the Smokies. I'd say no as long as you are discrete

Images

We each keep a little silver flask in our packs for that restorative wee dram.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

To some, the hip flask is akin to a paracord survival bracelet.
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-03-2012 at 07:13.

aaaaahhhhhhh At+crown royal ...perfect together!...In moderation of course.

Images

Just pick your poison and enjoy it in moderation.

It is just for medicinal purposes.

--louis

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    discretion usually goes a long way with the law when it comes to alcohol
    there are usually enough drunken fools running interference for the rest of us
    failing that, you just have to step up and be the idiot yourself now and then
    Seriously Jak... In the first reply you are going to talk about the Law? Are we not adults here? 10+ years of MADD and Drink Responsibly, and DUI arrests beaten into our brains...

Hey - I know I am over the top on some issues.... Boy Scouts, Leashes, Moody.....I am.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Not sure about everyone else since I'm a beginner. I plan on having blueberry shine!

That I would add to my bucket list... Where can I get some?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Well, I'm a single malt scotch man, myself. Nothing like a little 18 y.o. single malt just as the sun is going down. As long as you're discrete ........... no problem.

Images

When my father in law hiked Katahdin with me this year it was pouring buckets(post Irene weather). We enjoyed a couple sips of single malt at the summit. Im not a big drinker but it sure made the hike down more enjoyable considering we were soaked!

Good times, good times.
    skinny d

In my experience it's neither the norm nor especially unusual ... but either way I'd say anyone with a pattern of starting the day with a shot of hard liquor ought to be asking themselves some hard questions about dependency.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++