WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sterno cooking

Journal Entries

Post Sterno cooking

Has anyone ever used the simple sterno cook set? I'm not planning on cooking elaborate meals. I just like to heat up water for coffee and freeze-dried meals. Any suggestions.....

Alky stove.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

I've not used the set, but I have used sterno after the TSA decided that my empty fuel bottle posed a huge risk and I landed on an island with no place to buy a new one.
    Sterno was heavy, and cooked slowly, but it cooked as long as we were at low elevation. We tried to boil water with it at 3000 meters and it failed rather miserably.
    I would recommend it whenever you have a complete failure to find any other type of fuel, especially if all fires are banned. However, I would never intentionally bring it as a stove choice. I prefer alcohol/white gas/unleaded gas/butane stoves instead, depending on the travel logistics and weather.

Sterno is just gelled alcohol. If you are looking for simplicity then a basic alcohol stove is even simpler plus it is lighter and cheaper.

Default Sterno cooking

I was in the infantry all I used was sterno. It worked fine. Although i used it mainly for hot drinks. I'm sure you could improve the efficiency by adding a cone for your pot.

Images

Why carry the extra weight of water and gel in addition to the alcohol in Sterno, and get less heat output (barely enough if enough)? Just get an alcohol stove.

Journal Entries
    Images

Chilln I am sure they use it in the cafeteria today on occasion - but I would not haul that out in the field. Almost all MRE have the iron - salt heater.

I would still pull the jelly out put a wick and replace the ethanol

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-08-2012 at 12:21.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

sterno is what i used for years when I first started hiking. I don't use it anymore though.

Panzer

Images

I had a complete Sterno set when I was a teen. Like the others have said, I wouldn,t carry all that junk now. Just get an alcohol stove. Its simpler and lighter.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

I used it as a boy scout. If you want something that's about as cheap, but much lighter, you should check out Esbit.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    Sterno is just gelled alcohol. If you are looking for simplicity then a basic alcohol stove is even simpler plus it is lighter and cheaper.
    I played around with Sterno (and other non- name brand gelled alcohol fuels) when I was experimenting with homemade alcohol stoves. It doesn't provide nearly as much heat as denatured alcohol per oz. of weight, so if you want to carry more weight and have to wait (pun intended) longer, it might be the fuel for you. The only plus is that it can't spill or leak.
    It's pathetically slow as a cooking fuel - Esbit tabs are faster, lighter in weight, and also can't spill. You may want to check them out.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++