WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i used to get weird stares from others when i would pull things from my pack like jars of salsa,a big can or 2 of parmesan cheese,six pack of pepsi or things like that :-)
    my first thru tent was a quest praying mantis
    i used to joke that you needed a tent big enough to "host in" was great on rainy days :-)

I grew up with externals...tried really hard to get a comfortable internal...but due to my very short torso I cannot get a comfortable pack with the volume I need to carry beyond three days worth of food and gear...so I just bought myself the small/medium Kelty Trekker. Already I am happier with the fit. Weekend test hike at Mt Greylock in May...then the Long Trail later this summer. I am also a bit of a neat freak and am very happy with the pockets to keep my gear sorted. Especially my gravity filter kit. I am in the process of making some small modifications to the pack.

I haven't used an external frame pack since a trip down to Havasupi Falls back in '86. Recently scored on a sweet deal on a Trailwise Model 74 in excellent condition. Looking forward to puttin' some miles on her before too long on the AT around Standing Indian.

Couple of questions.

Some of the externals have the u-shaped upper extension added (like mine), while others just have caps on the top of the vertical tubes. Other than the ability to add a tent, sleeping bag, etc...are there other advantages to using this add-on ?

I see a lot of these early externals with an upgraded hipbelt. Can anyone recommend a particular manufacturer for an improved hipbelt. The TW belt/buckle is pretty cool. I like its operation. Its a medium and I really need a large. Might as well find one thats got a little more padding and preferably a small pocket for a camera and other doodads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I didn't realize the 'U' on top of an external pack was optional. I've seen many where it's adjustable so that you can make sure it's higher than your head.

I always hung my tent from the 'U', otherwise, used it as a handle.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I will be using the Zpacks Arc Blast this year. It is an external and pretty light too.

I will be attempting a thru hike this year and I will be using my Newco Mercury 1090 external frame pack, it's about a 40 yr pack. It weighs 4lb.
    " Rover, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond call me what you will " Metallica

Here's a link to a new line of external frame packs. http://paradoxpacks.com/design/. They had a great review about them on Backpacking light. They are pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    I haven't used an external frame pack since a trip down to Havasupi Falls back in '86. Recently scored on a sweet deal on a Trailwise Model 74 in excellent condition. Looking forward to puttin' some miles on her before too long on the AT around Standing Indian.

Couple of questions.

Some of the externals have the u-shaped upper extension added (like mine), while others just have caps on the top of the vertical tubes. Other than the ability to add a tent, sleeping bag, etc...are there other advantages to using this add-on ?

I see a lot of these early externals with an upgraded hipbelt. Can anyone recommend a particular manufacturer for an improved hipbelt. The TW belt/buckle is pretty cool. I like its operation. Its a medium and I really need a large. Might as well find one thats got a little more padding and preferably a small pocket for a camera and other doodads.
    I still have the matching Trailwise burnt orange stuff sack. Coulda, shoulda, woulda bought that pack when I bought the stuff sack. The stuff sack still holds my REI Summer Lite bag. Vintage mid-1970's. Down bags and quality stuff sacks do last a long time.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm loading up for an easy overnight now... Decided I wanted to go 'stupid heavy' so I'm trying out the external frame pack I picked up at a pawn shop a few months ago. It's a Mountain Smith and has all the bells and whistles of a modern pack, aside from the internal frame. If it's comfy it'll start seeing some winter use.

When my son borrows a pack, he always goes for my Mountain Master external, which is from the early seventies. The kids no fool.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

My mid 70's Camp Trails Ponderosa has the extendable upper frame. It has seen many miles in recent decades hauling gear and food for myself and 4 kids. Weighs about 4 and a half pounds, and will carry 65 easy. Won't be carrying it on any thru attempts, but with a five year old granddaughter, and a 2 month old niece's son, I can see it coming in handy again. Have 2 north Face Mummies of the same vintage....heavy yeah, still very warm at 20 degrees.

Images

springerfever
    I will try to attach pictures of the mods that I've made to my Trailwise.IMGP2967.jpgIMGP2814.jpgIMGP2964.jpg

I'm a late convert to internals, but it was a long, hard sell. Up until 2006 I never could find an internal-frame pack that agreed with me. Then I did the last 600 miles with a GG Nimbus Ozone and loved it. It was nice not to have the creaking and squeaking of the Camp Trails pack, and I liked the way the load just felt more snug to the body. (Mostly it was nice just to go lighter.) On the plus side, the Camp Trails with its mesh back was a bit cooler on hot days.

I stuck with a late 80's vintage REI Wonderland external frame pack for way too long. My ears still ring with the cacophany of squeeks and rattles which were constant when that pack was in motion. The sounds of nature are much more accessible since I relegated that pack to the back of the gear closet. My regret is that I didn't make the switch sooner.

Good Luck

Journal Entries
    Images

I have over 1500 miles on a Kelty Super Toga. Got a Osprey Atmos 65 and haven't looked back. The Kelty weighted like 7 lbs more. The ride took alittle getting used to but I've had fewer spills with the Osprey because there is no frame to hit branches,

Images

Nothing wrong with an external frame backpack. My daughter 23 years old completed her thru hike of the AT last year with a Coleman Conquest external frame backpack. You would not believe home many people poked fun at her antique pack saying how heavy it was. Well I need to post a picture of the pack on a postal scale, a WHOOPING 2.5lbs. All those folks carried a pound of sweat with their 3.8 lbs internal frame Osprey backpacks, but I guess that did not count. The external only touch's your back with webbing so it cannot soak up sweat. I would like to weigh an internal frame pack in July to see its real weight. We did add turn buckles to the webbing of the external frame making it tight as a drum. My wife is carrying the same pack on a thru this year. It is panel loading so you can open get what you want without pulling everything out. Just like a suit case. It was funny when others picked up her pack they would say wow I wish my pack was this light!! I wish you great success with your hike, enjoy it cus your are doing what us desk jockeys are dreaming of.

I had a external when I was a Boyscout, and when I got back to backpacking many years later I had it still had it. I toook it out for a few hikes.

I had no problem with comfort and I liked the seperation of things. Makes life easier.

One problem, no hip belt............ I have no idea where it went to. I have no idea of the model, I got it from my Uncle. The trampoline back was one of the reasons I got an Osprey. It just felt right. Wouldn't mind trying an external one more time......
    Floyd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++