WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Waterton Canyon Alternate

Since Waterton Canyon is closed this year, what alternate routes are you using? Looks like the Colorado Trail website has a couple of alternates. Which one are you taking?
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Default Roxborough

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Since Waterton Canyon is closed this year, what alternate routes are you using? Looks like the Colorado Trail website has a couple of alternates. Which one are you taking?
    I have taken the Roxborough alternative. You start at the Roxborough visitor center, hike the Carpenter Peak trail. Just before you reach Carpenter Peak the alternative trail takes off to the left. It connects with the CT above Waterton Canyon.
    Shutterbug

Hello Graywolf,
    My tentative start date is the last week of June and I was planning on contacting Trailguy to see if he is available to shuttle from Mineral Station to the nearest open section of the trail.

If he is not available this is my back-up plan using public transportation and hitching/walking. I have put together from online information and hope that it is accurate:

1. Denver Rapid Transit Bus 63X: (pick up schedule at airport) From Mineral Station in Littleton take bus 63X south. Exit bus at junction South Plate Cyn Road and Waterton Road (nearest bus stop is Hwy 121 and Kassler Road). Walk/hitch south on Waterton Road c. 1.6 miles to junction Waterton Road and North Rampart Range Road. Turn right-south on N. Rampart Range c. 2.3 miles to North Roxboro Park Road. Turn left-east to entrance to Roxborough Park. Walk-hitch c. 3.2 miles on Carpenter Peak trail.
    2. Carpenter Peak Trail starts about 0.6 miles from the visitor center in Roxborough St Park. The distance to the top of Carpenter Peak is about 2.5 miles, and it is all uphill. Right before the summit, there is a turnoff with a sign that reads "Colorado Trail and Waterton Canyon". The mileage from the sign to the CT at Strontia Springs Dam is about 3 miles. The Roxborough trail is very well maintained, with good views, and much more shade -There is no water available on the Roxborough route.===approx 13 mile hike from bus stop to CT===

I would be interested to hear what others are planning.
    Hike well,
    Pacer

Pacer, thanks. I too am planning in June. I will be going to Colorado Springs first to visit a friend and hike to the top of Pikes Peak. I was thinking of the Roxbourgh route myself... Maybe we will meet up on the trail.. If you wouldlike a hiking partner let me know..

This trip is still pending. I am on a tep job now and if it ends sooner than expected, I may just hit the AT, so I will see.. I will keep everyone informed..I have to remember Trail Guy..

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I did a trip to Roxborough to check out this alt start. I think it is superior to the Waterton start (with the caveats of an entrance fee, can't leave cars there, no camping, etc.) and the Indian Creek trail.

http://www.pmags.com/november-foothills-hiking

This doc may help, too:
    http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default The "middle of June" on the Barr Trail

Pacer, thanks. I too am planning in June. I will be going to Colorado Springs first to visit a friend and hike to the top of Pikes Peak. I was thinking of the Roxbourgh route myself... Maybe we will meet up on the trail.. If you wouldlike a hiking partner let me know..

This trip is still pending. I am on a tep job now and if it ends sooner than expected, I may just hit the AT, so I will see.. I will keep everyone informed..I have to remember Trail Guy..
    I assume you will be hiking the Barr Trail up Pike's Peak. If this year turns out to be "normal" there will still be snow covering the Barr Trail above Barr Camp.

I hiked it on July 4 a couple of years ago. By then, the trail was passable but there was still some snow. Take your microspikes or crampons.

Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I assume you will be hiking the Barr Trail up Pike's Peak. If this year turns out to be "normal" there will still be snow covering the Barr Trail above Barr Camp.

I hiked it on July 4 a couple of years ago. By then, the trail was passable but there was still some snow. Take your microspikes or crampons.
    Shutterbug, yes, we will be hiking up Barr Trail. I just learned of this trail from my friend who lives in Colorado Springs. I have been reading the website and the Barr Camp website getting information and prep. Yes, Being Colorado, and over 13000 feet one must always be prepared for snow at all times of teh year.. I was caught in the July Blizzard of 1995 in the Collegiate Wilderness. I was prepared so had a great time, but if I didnt do my research, that could have turned into a dangerous situation..

I am looking at the possibility to just skip the first section of the CT and just use connetor trails to link me up with the CT out of Colorado Springs.. Outside of the Ring the Peak trail, I cant find a good connector trail. Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

I'm probably starting at Roxborough in late June or early July. I know someone in Castle Rock who should be able to give me a ride there.

I did the Barr Trail up Pikes in late June a couple years ago. The last mile or mile and a half was pretty much completely covered in snow, but it wasn't much of a problem. I recommend staying at Barr Camp on the way up. Great hosts.

Have fun. Maybe I'll see you on the CT.

Quote Originally Posted by echoes View Post
    I'm probably starting at Roxborough in late June or early July. I know someone in Castle Rock who should be able to give me a ride there.

I did the Barr Trail up Pikes in late June a couple years ago. The last mile or mile and a half was pretty much completely covered in snow, but it wasn't much of a problem. I recommend staying at Barr Camp on the way up. Great hosts.

Have fun. Maybe I'll see you on the CT.
    Sounds goo Echos.. Look forward to it. I plan to be in Colorado Springs the last week of June. Probably spend a few days there after doing the Barr Trail. I want to get the Garden of the Gods in. Havnt been there in several years and miss it..

Default Garden of the Gods vs Roxborough

Sounds goo Echos.. Look forward to it. I plan to be in Colorado Springs the last week of June. Probably spend a few days there after doing the Barr Trail. I want to get the Garden of the Gods in. Havnt been there in several years and miss it..
    If you like Garden of the Gods, you will love Roxborough State Park. Eventhough I live in Washington State, I often buy an annual pass to Roxborough. It is a great place to hike.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I did a trip to Roxborough to check out this alt start. I think it is superior to the Waterton start (with the caveats of an entrance fee, can't leave cars there, no camping, etc.) and the Indian Creek trail.
    Hey Mags,
    I see from the website that Roxborough has a $7.00 day pass fee. Do you know if that applies if you are just hiking through to get to the CT?

Ditto Shutterbug's Roxborough route up the Carpenter Peak Trail. Take to the peak though and then backtrack a bit.

Thanks Paccer for the detailed bus info.

Default Day Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Paccer View Post
    Hey Mags,
    I see from the website that Roxborough has a $7.00 day pass fee. Do you know if that applies if you are just hiking through to get to the CT?
    The day pass is "per car: Hitch a ride to the visitor center and you won't have to pay.
    Shutterbug

Thanks Graywolf for the clarification. I did not see any walk-in rate on the park's website. Regardless, $7.00 is a small price to pay to get to the trail, and help support Roxborough at the same time.

Meant to say thanks Shutterbug. Haven't found yet how to edit a post already submitted.

TPaccer, that was my question to. Thanks for asking it, and thanks Shutterbug for answering it.. This is going to be a blast of a hike..Hope to see all outthere. Hey Paccer, ssend me a messgae. I will send you my email. If we dont meet up we can at least keep each other abreast on Trail conditions..

Quote Originally Posted by Paccer View Post
    Hey Mags,
    You still have to pay the entrance fee per the park officials. Basically, you are still using he park even if you are hiking on through to the CT.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    The day pass is "per car: Hitch a ride to the visitor center and you won't have to pay.
    Technically you are right. But, someone still has to pay.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

7bucks is not bad and it helps the State Park...No prob there..

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    You still have to pay the entrance fee per the park officials. Basically, you are still using he park even if you are hiking on through to the CT.

this is false, you do NOT have to pay to walk into a Colorado State Park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++