WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can I walk thru plantar fasciitis?

In training for my hike, I have developed plantar fasciitis in one foot - heel only. I have rested for 2 months now, with no improvement, and it's just getting worse. I have tried PT, and even massage therapy, sleep with a brace, stretching, and heel cup inserts. I have been to the DR, and MRI and xrays. Can one just hike thru the pain and it goes away? Does anyone have experience with developing PF, and it going away as you hike? After a 3 mile hike thursday, and 8 miles today, I can hardly put any weight on my foot.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have had a mild case but it went away. My brother had it while running cross country in college and it took years to fully recover.

Do not try walking trough the pain. Walking and putting weight on your foot only makes it worse because the pain stems from a tear in ligaments. The reason my brother struggled to get rid of it was because he never let it fully heal. He kept trying to go back running again. It can take some people a long time (over 3 months and some much longer) to heel. I would continue to rest and do everything you're doing. Every time you do something to make it worse again you are setting yourself back.

Train in other ways. Training should be a full body commitment. Try weight training and core training. Neither require weight being put on your foot. Also my brother really enjoyed swimming as a form of exercise while he was injured. Swimming really builds lung capacity which is crucial when hiking...

Hopes this helps.

Images

Throw all your old shoes away.
    Find a different brand of shoe.
    Every morning before you even step on the floor out of bed i want you to put a foot in the air and massage the arches.
    Work on each foot slowly by massaging with fingers and thumbs along the under side of the arch.
    Working up and down the foot a few times and then gently grab your toes and stretch them back (upwards) and curl them down (inwards).
    Don't even think of getting out of bed until you have done this stretching routine.
    My routine took 10 minutes each morning.
    Yea, it is wierd.
    No, you don't care about that.
    You want to restore circulation in your feet after a long nights sleep and warm up and (GENTLY) stretch the ligaments and tendons before you apply your full weight upon them.
    If you absolutley have to walk before stretching, keep your feet curled up and be gentle. Do Not jump down on cold feet!
    If you have to pee in the middle of the night use a gatorade bottle.
    It is a challenge at first to pee laying on your side but it gets easier with time. if you are gonna tarp on the AT this skill comes in real handy.. No, this wont make you "wet the bed" in your sleep.
    As others have mentioned you should see a Podiatrist immediately.
    I am only relating how i cured my own case of Plantar fascitis.
    You will get past this.
    You, and your body, are much stronger than you think.
    A little Ibuprofen helps relieve the swelling before bedtime.
    Also make sure you are eating 50 grams of protein each day. Nuts, Fish, Dairy, Animal, whatever, just eat a balanced diet that favors protein.
    Take things slow. If you need to stop training for a while don't worry.
    Healing your ligaments is paramount.
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 03-04-2012 at 00:45.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Images

Get yourself a pair of crocs. Not a copy, real crocs. I had PF in my left heel and nothing gave me relief except the crocs. I wore nothing else for three months. I would be in pain and limping, and the minute I put crocs on, the pain and limp would go away. I even wore them to church wearing a dress! My PF went away after three months and hasn't been back since. Also, get a GOOD pair of inserts. The kind the doctor has to heat up to mold to your foot. PF is caused by lack of support on the arch. Take the shoes you intend to hike in to the docs with you. My doc told me the reason the crocs work is because of the thick, hard rubber sole. Knock offs just don't have as hard of rubber.

I spent a week at Miss Janet's with my PF. I could hike and it didn't hurt, but the minute I stopped hiking, the pain would start. weird.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Wise Old Owl is right, see a podiatrist ASAP. Plantar fascitis took me off the trail during my thruhike. Definitely address it now, not later.

Can you put a finger behind your heel with your foot in the boot/shoes untied? I had this same problem until a backpacking buddy mentioned this fact I should have never forgotten. Bigger boots now - no more problems.

My friend "inherited" 2 pair of my undersized Scarpa boots from me but having no more pain was worth it.

Are you training with a new pair of shoes?

I agree with a shoe change it worked for me when I had it in both feet. (my old shoes had gotten to loose on my feet, and the soles were flat)

Images

Had it as a child. Get thee to a foot doctor. But fair warning, it can take a long time to heal/go away.

The good news: It will go away by itself.
    The bad news: That can take 6 months or longer.

Do not spend a cent more on x-rays, MRIs and the like. Buy some cheap thick insoles and cut a hole a
    couple cms wide underneath the area of maximum tenderness. Buy several insoles so you can experiment.
    Lose weight if you're overweight.
    It will go away by itself with time. In the mean time you can only reduce the symptoms, not cure it.

Journal Entries

i've got p f real bad myself.... it took me off the trail..... went to a foot dr. he took a mold of my foot and had inserts made..... makes the world of difference. also what Lilred said about crocs.... they also take the pain away..... go see a go foot dr.... my 2 cents. good luck, i wish you well!
    eveready

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post

Do not spend a cent more on x-rays, MRIs and the like. Buy some cheap thick insoles and cut a hole a
    couple cms wide underneath the area of maximum tenderness. Buy several insoles so you can experiment.
    Lose weight if you're overweight.
    It will go away by itself with time. In the mean time you can only reduce the symptoms, not cure it.
    I've had it 2X and that is pretty much my experience. Neither time could I run, one time I was able to day hike with maybe a 5 pound pack for 6 miles or so. Each time took about 6 months to resolve itself. Dr recommended green superfeet which I now use. There are stretches you can do - don't know if they helped but I did them. Dr also said no need to go to a podiatrist -- and added if you decide to ignore my advice (I didn't) DO NOT let them cut as it is not necessary for PF.

Images

I had it for 6 months as a runner and just ran through the pain. I woke up one morning and the pain was gone. I tried to keep my calves stretched and would roll a Gatoraide bottle with frozen water in it with my foot, applying as much pressure as I could withstand.

I know someone who swears by vibram 5 fingers shoes for PF. I have no personal experience.

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Listen to wise Old Owl, it may not be PF , if not, you will be glad you saw the doctor. Unless the PF was a diagnosis by a medical doc . If that is the case see your podiatrist.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post

This is not true. The crocs cured it up in three months time. My symptoms are completely gone and have been for a few years now. Completely cured. And mine was diagnosed by a doctor so I know it was PF. If it can't be cured, then symptoms wouldn't go away.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Try Nikes with airbag insoles, like walking on a marshmellow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Or, listen to sound advice: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ar%20fasciitis
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

I've had PF a couple of times and recovered quickly. Google "strasbourg sock". With that image in your head try to visualize my cure.
    I put on a stiff soled shoe at bed time. I use a bike shoe with the cleat off. Now, using duct tape, run a strip from the heel of the shoe, over the sole and around the toe. Continue the tape up and over your knee. It helps to shave where the tape will be first!
    Now, run a band of tape around your calf under the knee and over the tape from your toe and another band around your leg above your knee. It's over the strip from your toe as well. The more you can stand having your toe pulled toward your knee the better.
    Do this every night until the morning pain goes away. It usually takes about 4 nights for me but I always do this at the first sign.
    First night is uncomfortable but it's not too bad after that. Might not help your love life but might get you hiking sooner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++