WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default So What Is The Advice If You're On The Trail (AT) During A Severe Storm/Tornado?

I'm about to take off on my attempted thru-hike of the AT on March 9th and very excited. However, the tornado cells came through my area and one hit near Chattanooga, TN. I worried for those that might have been on the trail, but also wondered what I would have done to try and protect myself if I had been on the trail. Advice?

Do you believe in God? If you have a little warning you might try to get in the lee of something big that won't move like a bolder, rock outcrop. A depression/ditch is also recommended. I would not want to be in trees or a shelter.

Journal Entries

What is your plan at home?

In parts of the country without basements or storm shelters, the only real plan is "hope you dont get hit by one"

Few smaller man made above ground structures can withstand a direct hit.

Thankfully, the mountains tend to break up tornatos, but they can still get winds strong enough to knock down trees and limbs. Just hope your in a sheltered area or a tree doesn't fall on you.

The severe March weather is another good reason not to start a thru until April when things start to calm down some.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

When on the trail, those disgusting shelters that many despise are a bit better in a severe storm than some nylon fabric pitched under trees (with falling limbs).

For tornadoes, the best advice is to go low. This is from www.ready.gov

"Lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands. Be aware of the potential for flooding."

I can almost guarantee if you're on a bald when a storm kicks up that little voice inside you will guide you down off it as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-06-2012 at 09:48.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Do you believe in God? If you have a little warning you might try to get in the lee of something big that won't move like a bolder, rock outcrop. A depression/ditch is also recommended. I would not want to be in trees or a shelter.
    I don't believe we have ever lost a modern AT Shelter to a tree fall. You would be safe in there.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I don't believe we have ever lost a modern AT Shelter to a tree fall. You would be safe in there.
    rufus morgan one year

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    rufus morgan one year
    Was anyone present, and if so injured? Just wondering.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, Well, Well, the hikin boot is on the wrong foot... Where are all the naysayers now? Look up (look who posted, no green horns there) Now look back at me....

What Happened to "You don't need survival Skills" "You don't need a compass" "You don't need a Knife or Match" "Oh its just a storm" blah blah blah...... Yes!

I believe in God - after that - Survival Skills come in handy - and knowledge.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Check out the Click on the Video link. There are a few trails still closed in the GSMNP due to this F4 that came through in the spring. To this day there are still neighborhoods getting new roofs near where I live from two back to back storm/tornado storms.

http://www.thegreatsmokymountains.or...e-in-the-park/

Fatalities would have occurred had it been in a more densely populated part of the park where I and many people hike.

Interesting video.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok I will bite LW - did it loose just the roof or was the entire structure destroyed. 2002 Right?

Woo

Images

I'd rather be in a shelter due to all the flying debris.

No man-made structure or tree is likely to survive a direct hit by a toranado. One of the stone shelters might be better than nothing. I think I would crawl under the platform if it had one and hunker (is that a word) down next to a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Was anyone present, and if so injured? Just wondering.
    Luckily the ghost of Rufus Morgan held up the tree during the storm (or perhaps it was pure luck). The shelter collapsed to about 18 inches high (and less) a few hours (presumably) after the occupants were able to leave. When they returned on a day hike while waiting for the snow to melt further, they noted that one of the beams landed directly where the man was sleeping.

If you do have to seek shelter in a shelter, a stone one is much preferable in the mountains. Many hikers are opposed to ALL logging, but they've frequently not seen a shelter that's been reduced to a maximum height of 18 inches. Some campsites have double-seater privies that offer more protection and if you're not thankful to albe to spend the night in a privy, then it's not that bad of a storm.

However, if you're in an area that doesn't have as many mountains to break up the tornadoes , and you get a direct hit, it really doesn't matter much where you are, unless it's underground.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey I have been in my house during a sever storm when a 75 footer took out the roof Resulting in $15,000. I have spent an additional $7000 removing all the tall trees that were right up against the structure that threatened to do it again... Its no picnic, and it scared the hell out of the wife when it happened - I rolled over and went back to sleep, broke out the chain saw and come-a-long in the morning took all day to get it off the roof..

I would stay in a shelter - the odds are with you. That this is the best place to be in a storm.

I cant see the date of the picture - this appears to be the replacement?

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-04-2012 at 12:11.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ok I will bite LW - did it loose just the roof or was the entire structure destroyed. 2002 Right?
    March 14 or 15 1993.
    The storm started on the night of the 12th, but the worst was on the 13th.

Garlic
    Images

I had one blow over me one night in Connecticut in '08. Sounded like a freight train, and morning revealed mature oaks snapped off mid-trunk. Salisbury was a minor disaster. I was camped in a good spot, generally low terrain, no widow-makers around (I always check). All I could do during the storm was assume the fetal position, cover my head, and try not to whimper. My hiking partner, a few yards away, was imagining the German tanks approaching Allied positions during the Battle of the Bulge. His tent was more fun than my tent.

I guess it's best to have a good situational awareness and a cool head in searching for the best protection around. Generally, the high ground is not the worst place to be in many storms.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default re: Advice If You're On The Trail (AT) During A Severe Storm/Tornado?

My survival strategy would be:

1) Get off the trail and into sound shelter. Many homes in the south have "fraidy holes" and I'd try for space in one. Culverts and other protective structure are more common off-trail.

2) If away from populated areas, get to a shelter. As mentioned get down in a corner or lie along the wall. Logs are more dense and offer better protection from flying debris than most modern homes.

3) If you can't get to shelter, then try and put a ridgeline between you and the tornado. Get as far down the protected side as you safely can and hug a tree. The few survivors I've talked to that were caught outdoors, sat down and hugged a tree, putting the tree between them and the oncoming winds. As most AT hikers have bear cord, you might consider lashing yourself to said tree much as sailors lashed themselves to masts in gales.

4) Last resort is to hit the deck. Try and find a boulder, depression, or ditch and get as low to the ground as possible. If you can find an exposed root or two, grab on. You'll also want to protect your head as many tornadoes are preceded by large hail, but not all.

If you have time and its convenient, you might also put your headlamp and signal whistle on around your neck for after the storm passes.

[Disclaimer: BigHodag is a former emergency manager and a disaster instructor.]
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

Pull up the weather on your cellphone once in awhile and if you see reds and purples approaching on the radar and severe storm warnings are posted consider your options. Review lightning safety guidelines as well. http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++