WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ecaz View Post
    So, would it be agreed that the Vapor Trail is a great pack for a thru-hiker?
    IMO, yes -- if you can keep your total weight (including food, water, etc.) to 30 lbs or less.

Is this considered (by hikers here) to be an ultra-light pack, and how many days of food can one expect to support with this pack? (clearly gear dependent question, but generalize)
    No, it's not ultra-light, as packs go. IMO, an ultra-light pack would weigh well under one pound. But any UL pack, by that definition, would probably be limited to around 15 lbs. total load.

Thanks for a great reply!

What do you use? how many days of food to you prefer to travel with (do you prefer to carry more or do you prefer to go to town more for supplies)

I was also looking at the Nimbus Access fz 3800 or the Stratus Latitude, neither of which found their way onto this site. I wonder if they are considered to be too big? I'm not interested in the ultra-light philosophy per se, I just don't want to kill myself.

Do you think it's better to gear first and find a pack last, or vice versa?

Ideally, my thru hike will be spent camping on the trail or blue blaze trails. I would like to avoid town type events, and probably most shelters. Should I look for a pack with an external sleeping bag tent? Compartmentalized tent?

P.S. :

http://www.granitegear.com/products/...son/index.html

shows the weight capacity for most of the ?? packs by this company listed by the Original Poster.

My Aether 70 isn't listed.

Hello again, Ecaz. I own a Vapor Trail and a Nimbus Ozone. I decided the Vapor Trail was a bit too small for my current hiking routine, so I took the NO with me on last year's hike, and it worked out well. I've got my "base weight" down to about 16 lbs or so, and I generally figure about 3-4 nights in the woods between resupply. I wasn't sure I could keep the total load under 30, which is why I felt more comfortable with the NO. As it turned out, last summer was hot and dry on the AT, so I found myself carrying lots of water at times. Three liters is about six pounds... The NO has a much more substantial frame sheet than the VT, and my aging bod appreciated the comfort from that.

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the work in getting it together. One thing I'd really like is if a woman's version is available/if you can switch out the hipbelt.

A built in guy's hip belt makes a pack useless to me at the very least.

Default OverBoard pack

I have an OverBoard waterproof pack, it works great, plus its waterproof, and only cost me $75. Load is less than 30 lbs, but it will handle that fine. Not a long thru-hike pack, but fine for just going out for a day or weekend.

Images

Default Nimbus Meridian

Does anyone know how sturdy the two bottom loops on the GG Nimbus Meridian are? I have a full length Thermarest closed cell pad and a Prolite 3 in a compression sack I would need to hang off of those loops. Will the loops handle it OK?
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    1) The empty weight/volume capacity ratio, divided on out to a number.

2) The empty pack weight/maximum safe payload (in pounds) ratio, also calculated out to a number.

3) Data on these good packs:
    Gregory: Acadia or Forester
    Arcteryx packs, such as the Khamsin

4) Whether or not a pack has a separately accessable sleeping bag compartment (that's a BIG deal to me personally).

5) Color options, color also being a big deal to many hikers. The Gregory Denali Pro backpack* (as an example) only comes in "chili red", which anyone wanting to keep a low profile while hiking may not care for. Too, I doubt many LEOs/former mil guy hikers would go for a pack that only came in "young chick light pink" or "typical San Francisco guy lavender", or the like.

*Yes, I am perfectly aware that that pack is too big for the AT. I was using it as an example only. I may carry it on the longer stretches between resupply points on the CDT or on my East-West Alaska hike, though, if and when I hike those places.
    In reference to your comments on the Gregory Denali Pro back pack. I own one of those and I love it. Yes, the chilli red is a bit "colorful" but I keep a rain cover on my pack rain or shine. The sun is hard on fabrics and a 30 dollar rain cover is much cheaper than a new $500.00 back pack. I like the Denali because it's so durable that I believe only a hungry bear could damage it. Yes, it's big enough to put a refrigerator in it..(lol) BUT you don't have to stuff it. I have used it for deer hunting as well when I was going to be in the woods for at least 8 days if I didn't kill a deer first, which meant most years I would be in the woods at least 8 days..lol..So I have carried as much as 75 pounds in that monster of a pack. As far as the Gregory G pack goes, I have one of those too and it's a piece of junk by Gregory / my standards. I once put about 30 pounds in it, picked it up by one of the shoulder straps and it (the shoulder strap) ripped lose from the pack.
    Any way, I just wanted to make that comment. Not trying to start no argument or step on any toes, just giving my opinion.

Has anyone tried the black diamond infinity/innova 60 pack? My fiance and I are probably about to purchase this bag. The reviews look good and the price is right. Any opinions on this would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Unfortunately, dam few are being made currently. Kelty and that's almost it.
    JanSport has a couple as well, but you're right, there are not many. It would be good to see some for comparison purposes. I was a frequent section hiker a million years ago when I was in my twenties and still favor an external frame. Thanks for the hard work Sgt. Rock.

I like MLD these days.
    Last edited by CaptainNemo; 08-16-2011 at 00:33.
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

I find it amusing the Dana Designs pack is included on there. They don't even sell it anymore. I am of the opinion that if a pack is heavier but is made to carry a light or heavy load well then it works. I still use an original terraplane and usually I weigh in at around 33 - 40 lbs for a seven day stint. This really comes down to comfort and how well the pack feels when the day is done. I am a big guy(58" shoulders) and usually carry a little extra food, which the Dana pack makes it feel light as a breeze.

Images

Tried out the Osprey Atmos 45 (or maybe it was the 50). ANYWAY, the internal frame that supports your hips cut into my sides with only 25 pounds in the pack. I really liked the pack but that was a deal breaker. The salesperson said he and many other people have had the same problem.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    JanSport has a couple as well, but you're right, there are not many. It would be good to see some for comparison purposes. I was a frequent section hiker a million years ago when I was in my twenties and still favor an external frame. Thanks for the hard work Sgt. Rock.
    My first pack (junior year in high school until college) was an external Jany. Loved that fxxxxx pack! Plenty of isolated compartments and I could hang a bunch of crap off it with binners and ropes. Haha, my second or third section hike I actually clipped empty milk jugs to the pack for water in camp. LOL! Those were great times. Oh, and don't forget the ole patches phase. Plenty of trail patches on the Jany!
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Journal Entries
    Images

This has been closed and moved to the Articles section. If you would like to continue the conversation you can do so here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?189
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++