WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: keeping warm

Default keeping warm

I got my ENO hammock about a year and some change ago. It's great for where I live (southeast Georgia) because it's warm most of the year and not very windy. Camping in the the mountains/wherever the wind blows, not so much. I used my Thermarest as insulation but sometimes, especially when cold, the pad would end up sleeping on me. I saw the reactor hammock online and dropped to my knees and exclaimed "where was this a year ago!" (end scene). Is there some other way to secure a sleeping pad or is the built in sleeping pad sleeve the best route?

Journal Entries
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

underquilt you still get the comfert

+1 on an underquilt.

Stir Fry

+2 FOR UNDER QUILS. Pads work but not great. Move arround to much.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Default keeping warm

Would it be worth it to haul the extra 2lbs and pack space...I feel like a cleverly placed tarp would suffice

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

A tarp isn't going to keep you from losing heat by convection. You can try it once, but guarantee you'll never do it again. An underquilt is like having the loft of a sleeping bag under you, uncrushed and fully lofted. Trust me, it's worth it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Pads work best in a double layer hammock as the two layeres help to the keep the pad from moving around. A Under Quilt (UQ) is the way to go for confort.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Underquilt is the way to go. I agree that the tarp won't make a significant difference.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Also, the hammock cottage industry has been making double layered hammocks for some time now, much longer than the ENO Reactor has been around. Why not check them out at www.hammockforums.net?

Underquilt! Thats what my husband and i are using on our thru this year!

All-over quilt.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default keeping warm

My set up would include a closed cell sleeping pad and my western mountaineering ultralight (25 degree). I know underquilts are the tits but I'm really trying to cut down on weight, is it worth the cost?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

In a word: Yes.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I have been sleeping on my hammock all through winter in NW georgia , I have only used a wally world Closed Cell Pad, It took a while I just learned how to toss and turn in my Hammock without moving the pad. I have a down sleeping bag also that I have used a few cold nights as a Pea Pod which also kept me warm however it was really confining to me as I couldn't do the tossing and turning I like to do at night

Stir Fry

It worth the cost. As far as weight you can get a good 3 seson quilt that weighs under 18 oz or so 3/4 quilts can be had in the 14 oz range. I have a home made sumer under quils that is only 10oz. Its 48in by 62in. sew throuth constructin, 8 in differantial cut and 7 oz of down. Thats only about 4-5 oz more then your closed cell pad for a 3 seson quils and about the same as my sumer quilt.. If there were a way to let you sleep one night with a pad and one night with under quils. All this discusion would end. I almost gave up on hammocks untill I found under Quilts.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

i think if you are committed to hammocking, then yes, the UQ is worth it. if you're still wishy washy and think you may go back to the ground soon then maybe you can find someone close to you who would let you borrow it for a shorter trip. luckily most UQs retain a lot of value even if slightly used. so if you bought it and hated it, you could certainly flip it for a minimal loss...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I modified my sleeping bag to work with my hammock and get loft under me for warmth. I needed to do something that did not cost me much of anything and stayed lighter than I was before when I slept on the ground, you can check it out here. Pictures and video included.

++ New Posts ++