WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default James River Footbridge to Rockfish Gap.

I am doing this section April 8th - 14th or 7th-13th depending on partner. I have a couple of questions. First How safe is parking at Rockfish gap visiters center? If not safe where would you recommend parking. Also looking for a shuttle to James river footbridge the morning of the 7th or 8th. Wondering about resupply at Montebello campground. I know I can carry enough food for the section. My partner is a little out of shape and want to keep the hike enjoyable. A stop for food to keep pack lighter might help. Thank you in advance.
    The Big J

Images

In Montebello I highly recommend the Dutch Haus hostel. Nice folks, clean and good food. Earl and Lois at Dutch Haus may know of good shuttle options in the section you are doing.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

+1 on the Dutch Haus, I've been there a couple of times now and hope to again this year. Not a whole lot at the campground store, mostly snacks and canned goods. The Dutch Haus stocks a few things hikers need and the store doesn't, but most hikers are going NOBO and just need a few more things for the couple of days needed to make it to Waynsboro.

As for parking the Rockfish gap center, I'd say it's iffy. Place is pretty run down with abandoned buildings. There is a hotel a bit up the hill behind the parking lot there, maybe they would let you park there. However, I have no idea of the name of the place.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

+2 on the Dutch Haus. Worth every step of the blue-blaze down the mountain IMHO. Great place and they will do shuttles. Might check with Rockfish Gap Outfitters (540-943-1461) about a shuttle on the north end. Walkabout Outfitters (540-464-HIKE) in Buena Vista in the middle.

I did this exact section about 3 summers ago and loved it. Enjoy!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thank you for the pointers. I will contact Dutch Haus about resupply and shuttle. Now just have to find a reliable place to park. Will contact Rockfish outfitters. Any "must not miss" in this section?
    The Big J

I parked at motel (small fee) just past rockfish towards waynesborro last may.

Will probably be arriving in the area at night, so I will need a place to stay for the night and shuttle south to trailhead in the morning. Do you by any chance remember the name of the motel. I will check my companion
    The Big J

The Dutch Haus is a great place to stay and they can take care of the shuttle to the James River. They did the shuttle for me last year from Waynesboro. The owners were great. Their #540-377-2119. I parked my car in front of the Inn at Afton which is near the Visitor Center and had no problems. The Inn would like you to leave some basic info if you leave your car. I had some friends who stayed at the Inn and their comments were not positive. You can leave your car at the Visitor Center. They would like you to leave contact info and return date. They could give you some info about lodging nearby.#540-943-5187. Good luck and enjoy your hike.

Thank you Trail Ponderer.
    The Big J

Images

The motel just above the parking area will let you leave your car there. Just go inside and fill out a release form. Left mine there for almost a week and had no problems.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

The Fish Hatchery is a pretty neat diversion, and not out of your way.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Big J View Post
    Any "must not miss" in this section?
    Spy Rock is well worth the short "blue blaze" and climb to the summit. It's just a mile or so north of Fish Hatchery Road.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Did I read somewhere the trail no longer goes below Pedlar Dam? How far away from the resevoir did it get rerouted?
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Did I read somewhere the trail no longer goes below Pedlar Dam? How far away from the resevoir did it get rerouted?
    They moved the trail down maybe a hundred yards or more so that it doesn't go around the base of the dam.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    So far that I didn't even know the dam was there.

RainMan

Cal me I am in lexington and can help with ride parking and any support. 5408178533 or text me.

Was looking at my 2009 Appalachian Pages say's there is camping near trail to humpback rocks, any info? Thanks Land Shark will know logistics after the weekend. Meeting up with bother-in-law (hiking partner) .
    The Big J

++ New Posts ++