Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I use a Coghlan's fuel filter with the mesh removed. It was $1.97 at Walmart. I hike in a running skirt that has the shorts built in. It's easy to pull the leg over and use the funnel. I've used it for several weeks and haven't had any problems at all.

If you want a laugh, you should read our (my hubby & I tag team a blog) on this very subject at thedirtyduo.com. It's been tough for him giving up the "I'm the only one who stands to pee" status. He's adorable.

Smile

I have tried several of the Female Urinary Devices with mixed success until recently. I mostly wanted it for canoe-camping trips. Where we go, the sandbars are mostly open with no place to be discreet. Sometimes there is vegetation or trees, but it is wild and densely thicketed. Difficult to get into without brushing up against burrs, thorny vines, cats claw, stinging nettle, etc. And that's all BEFORE dropping drawers. And we often go in the winter, when it is cold, and dropping drawers isn't a comfortable experience. I'm not all that modest, but I do take others' into consideration and if I am with a group, I'd rather be discreet. Alone, or just me and the hubby, it isn't much of a problem...except for I'm wearing a lot of clothing that just all gets in the way. Especially on the winter canoe trips.

So to get back to the point, after reading the beginning of this thread and hearing about the P-style for the first time, I thought I'd give another FUD a trial and ordered one. This is the first time I have been able to quickly use one without dripping or leaking. The first time to experiment with it was a complete success...as was the second and third time. The fourth time, I was in a BIG hurry and learned that you can pee too fast and too hard for the capacity (it's open at the top, unlike some FUDs that are enclosed (like freshette and go-girl). You do have to control the stream a little if you've waiting a little too long to go! I can't say there was anything wrong with the other brands of devices that didn't work for me...maybe it's just individual fit differences. Maybe I needed more practice. I think I've tried at least 4 different brands/styles. I definitely like the P-style and will practice with it some more before I'm with a group, or not where I can easily change clothes in case of a mishap. I haven't yet tried it with my pants completely up and through the fly. When I'm more comfortable with my proficiency, maybe.

I'm seriously considering converting a pair of my hiking pants/river pants into a hiking skirt and try either men's shorts with a fly or compression shorts with the crotch cut out. About 10 years ago I bought Isis for Women silk thermal underwear that had the open crotch for peeing (it has a flap that crosses over, so you're not completely bare, but can move it aside, similar to a man's fly, but anatomical for women). They don't make this style any more, but these are absolutely fantastic and would be a perfect match for using the P-style (or similar devices). I may try to convert some tights to that kind of crotch to help protect legs under a skirt and still have freedom.

Sorry I got so wordy, but thought my experiences with it might help someone. Just my 2 cents worth and a user review.
    If not now, then when?

Journal Entries

Ordered this. Hope it works. Thanks for all the reviews. I have bee yearning for a way not to have to squat. My poor knees are going to have enough trouble.

Images

my pStyle was delivered last week and I have had opportunity to practice... it is awesome! ...works great for me and it will make life a lot easier on the trail
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Images

I love my pStyle! I actually have two of them, and a case. So much easier. I can't imagine going hiking without one, now that I'm spoiled.

Images

I carried and used my P style for my whole 2012 thruhike and LOVED it! I knew another woman with a different, soft funnel style of FUD and she had many "accidents" of leakage, plus she said it began to smell after a while. Not cool. She actually got on Amazon during the hike and ordered a P style after I told her how much I loved mine, and she loved hers, too. I got very quick at my pee breaks, and with my stretchy shorts, just pulled them down in front and never even unbuckled my waistbelt on my backpack. Very freeing, and the quicker the better. I never got caught peeing, though there were a couple of close calls, all they saw was my back. I highly recommend the P style for ease of cleaning and sanitizing as well. I would rinse it with water on the trail, and put alcohol hand sanitizer on it after every use, then wash it with soap and hot water in town.

How to use the pstyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilum5Rp5Elo

Where to purchase one: http://thepstyle.com/?gclid=CLLwp8eCqLUCFQSpnQodAiEA_Q

It really is a great device. I've used mine for over a year, and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet View Post
    It's difficult to write your name in the snow while squatting.
    A few years ago, my sister-in-law was recovering from bladder surgery, and she had an external urinary bag. One night after a big snow, she went outside and unhooked the tube to the bag and "wrote her name in the snow." She was so proud!

I use a whiz, it's anti microbial, water repellent, you flick it and its dry.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet View Post
    How to use the pstyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilum5Rp5Elo

Where to purchase one: http://thepstyle.com/?gclid=CLLwp8eCqLUCFQSpnQodAiEA_Q

It really is a great device. I've used mine for over a year, and I love it!
    I used a P-style for the first time on a hike a couple weeks ago. It's a little weird, but it definitely solved some issues. I recommend it. Comes in 6 colors: green, blue, orange, pink, lavender, and clear.

Pstyle: http://www.thepstyle.com/pages/What's-a-pStyle%3F.html

Don't say 'ewe' to the design ... no concern for overflow [we won't go there] as you can see and regulate your flow.

Video:

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I live without an indoor toilet in a place that is 40 below zero for weeks, sometimes months, on end. My pstyle is a life saver.

I haven't decided about hiking with it yet, I tend to not carry weight unless I really need to.
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

I bought the Go Girl for my upcoming thru hike. I practiced with it and it worked o.k. but I still had to pull my pants down somewhat. I decided to save the weight and not take it. Then I read this thread and all the positive comments on the Pstyle that I ordered it. It came today. My husband said, "Hey, what's in the box?" I said, "Come here and check it out!" I proceeded to walk him in the bathroom, whip out the Pstyle and pee like a guy. He laughed so hard he almost fell over (so did I). I have to echo all the positive reviews....it is coming with me!!!! The thought of not having to hike off trail, take off my pack, find "the" perfect tree then worry about my white fanny being exposed for all the world to see, will be worth its weight in gold.

And, it's so much easier to clean than the "squishy" Go Girl.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Poison ivy & oak is pretty easy to identify...look before squatting.
    For the untrained eye, I would disagree. It takes some time to learn to identify poison oak and ivy.

What is easy is to avoid touching ANYTHING with three leaves.

If you hike frequently enough, it's easy enough to learn what poison oak and ivy look like, but it takes time. Simply keep your eyes out for all plants with three leaves. After you do so enough, you will eventually begin to notice the subtle differences between various three-leaved plants. After a while, you can go back an search the web for images of poison oak and ivy, and you'll be able to compare that to the three leaved plants you've been paying attention to. From there, you should begin to have no problem picking out poison oak and ivy from other three leave plants.

I personally hiked in the woods for years not knowing what poison ivy looked like. I acquired about 2 acres of land and started to survey it. I quickly caught a case of poison ivy. So over the course of several days after work, I returned to the property with a spray bottle of RoundUp. I began spraying ANYTHING with three leaves. After the 1st day, I could begin to notice SOME three-leaved plants that were obviously NOT poison ivy. By the time I had been spraying RoundUp for about 4 evenings, I learned what poison ivy looked like simply by paying attention over time.

If you want one you can always pick it up during the first few day on the trail along with an orange trowel.

Wear a skirt and regular underwear. To pee, stand with feet a little more than hip width apart, reach under your skirt, pull the leg of your underwear to one side and you have a straight shot down. Practice at home over the toilet for more confidence when you first try it in the woods. A pit stop takes 30 seconds this way. The skirt covers the whole operation and you don't need to take off your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver09 View Post
    Wear a skirt and regular underwear. To pee, stand with feet a little more than hip width apart, reach under your skirt, pull the leg of your underwear to one side and you have a straight shot down. Practice at home over the toilet for more confidence when you first try it in the woods. A pit stop takes 30 seconds this way. The skirt covers the whole operation and you don't need to take off your pack.
    Not every girl pees strait.... More than a few have quite an angle, lol.
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

I usually have a fly in my hiking pants; so I can still easily leave my pack on by just unzipping. When I wear shorts with no fly, I leave my pack on but undo my hipbelt. I then lower the pants waistband and let 'er rip. I hear others have success coming in from the bottom of the shorts and moving the undergarment to the side (this takes more talent than I have).

Just a ordered Pstyle. Thanks!!

I bought one because of this thread and it is awesome!

Thanks ladies.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++