Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I have been using my Pstyle for about a year now. It is very user friendly. I keep it in a small fanny pack along with some clorox wipes for cleaning it after each use. Also keep handwipes and toilet paper in my fanny pack. I usually just hook the fanny pack onto the outside of my backpack instead of wearing it aroung my waist. It is easy to get to there without taking off my pack.

P-style ... imho ... better than the enclosed ones.

http://www.thepstyle.com/

Got mine in clear so that I could monitor the color of my urine and know if I was getting dehydrated.

I just can't deal with carrying something I have to keep clean, as precious as water can be sometimes. The thought of carrying a urinal is just ugh!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    I just can't deal with carrying something I have to keep clean, as precious as water can be sometimes. The thought of carrying a urinal is just ugh!
    I don't carry wipes for mine, nor do I rinse after each use. Our trips are typically weekend sections, and I just rinse it off when I get home. I have found it to be a big improvement over the squatting routine, and no tissue required.

Hi girls!! Wanted to say we purchased the Go Girl for ourselves. They do work. Take the time to fit it properly and you can write your name in the snow!!! HAHAHAHAHA!! I did learn to NOT be in a hurry!!! So pee before you are at the urgent stage. Just so you know, urine is sterile when it leaves the body. I have mine in a mesh bag hanging from the pack. After use, a quick rinse with water is good enough. I am not sharing this device so no need to worry about germs. Keep a mini towel just for clean up and that can be rinsed at camp.

Hi.. Thanks for the information on the pstyle. I just ordered one to add to my pack. Why not make it easier when nature calls?

Images

Ordered! Thanks for the input on Psyle.

My P-style came today and works great! I've tried the Freshette before. It is more compact than the P-style since the tube retracts into the funnel and it comes with a thick ziploc-style bag, but I found it was harder to keep clean without water since you couldn't wipe down the tube. It was ok for occasional use, but I never wanted to use it day after day. Then I tried to make my own out of a tight spot funnel.

I cut it down to be a little narrower at the top, melted the cut edges to smooth them out, and strapped it on the back of my pack. However, it was still pretty wide and difficult to get placed comfortably because of that. It was only $1.50 at an auto parts store, so I didn't make a big investment. The P-style is definitely an improvement, so I'm happy to have it now. I think my dream device would be an Orikaso (origami)-type P-style that would fold flat or at least be less bulky. Perhaps a smaller/lighter/P-style shaped version of the Form-A-Funnel .

On another side of this issue, is there any sort of female-compatible pee jar that can be used in a tent at night (assuming there's enough privacy in the tent). I'm thinking about a rainy night when getting out of the tent, finding my camp shoes, schlepping over to the privy, etc. is daunting enough that I put it off long enough to impact actual sleep.

Yes, I can be that lazy

Wendy P.

Thanks for the info! Just got a p style and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    P-style ... imho ... better than the enclosed ones.

http://www.thepstyle.com/

Got mine in clear so that I could monitor the color of my urine and know if I was getting dehydrated.
    Thanks for the tip to get the clear one, Coosa. I've been using mine on some day hikes and have found it helpful to have the clear one, particularly as the temperatures rise.

I am looking for the same thing. I wonder if the pstyle couldn't be used to pee into a wide mouth plastic bottle. At my age, control issues might prevent me from making it outside the tent. I had been giving some thought to a natural sponge in a plastic dish or pan to catch the pee.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WeShallSee View Post
    I am looking for the same thing. I wonder if the pstyle couldn't be used to pee into a wide mouth plastic bottle. At my age, control issues might prevent me from making it outside the tent. I had been giving some thought to a natural sponge in a plastic dish or pan to catch the pee.
    On my boat, I use the p style with a wide-opening plastic bottle, like a juice bottle. After use, be sure to screw the lid on tight! It works great.
    Come sail away, come sail away, come and sail away with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3yw...ure=plpp_video

Quote Originally Posted by Catch-Up View Post
    Last fall on the Georgia section of the trail, I had the eery unpleasant experience of contacting poison ivy while squatting in the woods. If you like, you can read about my experience at http://www.appalachiantrailsectionhi...0/day-ten.html
    It was SO not funny!

So I've been investigating the female urinal to see if maybe I could avoid squatting in the woods so much. Has anyone used one of these contraptions? If so, are they useful? For the life of me, I can't see how you can use them without pulling down your pants, aren't you suppose to be able to do that? Or are they just for keeping you from having to squat?

Here are a couple of the things I have looked at - anyone have a better solution? Thanks.
    The Lady Elegance P EZ http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Elegance-...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

and the Sport and Travel by Freshette http://www.amazon.com/Freshette-Spor...f=pd_sim_hpc_4
    I have tried every kind they make and I always end up peeing on my pants and down my leg. Not worth the bother...and trust me, I really wanted it to work. My husband and I go to the beach a lot and there are no bathrooms so I was hoping I could get at least one of them to work out for when we are fishing on the beach in the colder months and I needed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RibbonInTheWillow View Post
    I use a whiz, it's anti microbial, water repellent, you flick it and its dry.
    i had this one for years and loved it, but haven't been able to find it since i moved (grrr).

i'm going to give this a try:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-448/s...nating-device/

looks like it'll be interesting, and worth a try. i'll post results after i come back from my hike next week.

I've seen a few posts about making a p-style from a dressing bottle. Does anyone have a pic of one they have made? I have a Go Girl and it works great, but you still have to drop your pants to use it. I'm thinking of trying to make a p-style and see how well it works. I have the general idea of how I want to cut it, but figured I would see how others have made one.

Thanks!

yes, there are mountains in Las Vegas

I was a former user of the GoGirl but am now a happy pStyle user. I purchased a pair of synthetic men's briefs (verrrry comfy) with a fly and I hike with zippered pants/shorts or skirt. Some hiking pants have a zippered cargo pocket which is where I stash my pStyle, which is easier/quicker than putting in pack. When the need arises, I just move off the trail, take out pStyle, spread my legs a bit, unzip pants, slip pStyle through brief fly, hold up against my body, aim pStyle in slight downward angle and pee without holding back. The pStyle is deep and long enough (7") to extend outward from your body, beyond your clothing that you will never again pee on your shoes. Once finished, slightly push up while pulling it away from your body so it wipes you. The edges are soft enough that it does not hurt. There really is no need to carry TP. If you do need, carry a pee rag (bandanna) which you can use to wipe then hang off your backpack with a safety pin to dry. You can wash it each night at camp. Give the pStyle a couple of shakes to dry and stash back in your pocket.

I keep it in my tent at night along with a 1 liter plastic bottle, so no more cold outings. I unzip tent, kneel at door facing out and do my business in the security of the vestibule. Although, when overnighting at 12,000 feet, the Milky Way is so beautiful that I enjoy standing outside looking up while peeing.

Using the pStyle has been a tremendous freeing experience. No need to look for just the right spot ever again.

Girls the pstyle rocks. Minimal exposure, no exposure to bugs or poison ivy. Others have worried about infection/ germs. Unless you have a urinary tract infection, your urine is sterile (soldiers have used urine stream as a battlefield wound wash...) . Only the incidental germs in your external genitalia to worry about. But every time you wipe, you touch them, so if they haven't been a problem before, no worries. I would just sluice a little extra water to cut down on smell issues, and shove it back in your pocket.

Default Urine Sterile, skin no so much

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    urine is sterile
    You are right, urine is sterile, but the body parts it touches on the way out certainly are not. Anything reusable that encounters body fluids needs to be cleaned in some manner.

I have wondered, since I can sew, if it wouldn't be helpful to add a long zipper to the seam of the pants or shorts, thereby giving easy access to areas. Having never tried it, I suppose it might be a little hard to zip it back up with a pack on, though.

Images

Reading all these posts have convinced me to try the pstyle. I just ordered it. I also watched Krista's video on Youtube and it was helpful.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++