Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wmw999 View Post
    On another side of this issue, is there any sort of female-compatible pee jar that can be used in a tent at night (assuming there's enough privacy in the tent). I'm thinking about a rainy night when getting out of the tent, finding my camp shoes, schlepping over to the privy, etc. is daunting enough that I put it off long enough to impact actual sleep.

Yes, I can be that lazy

Wendy P.
    This is what ziplock bags are for. A quart size ziplock works great.

I suppose you could pee in a baggie, but I think I like the bottle idea better. I got my pStyle and have to agree, this is the best thing for outdoorsy ladies. No fuss, no mess, no in convince. It's perfect! I'm still learning with mine as it is fairly new and have the standing thing pretty much figured out, kneeling is a little more challenging for me, I think because of the position. Word of caution: if you kneel, catch your pee with something, splash back was horrible.

Smile Great Invention!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch-Up View Post
    Last fall on the Georgia section of the trail, I had the eery unpleasant experience of contacting poison ivy while squatting in the woods. If you like, you can read about my experience at http://www.appalachiantrailsectionhi...0/day-ten.html
    It was SO not funny!

So I've been investigating the female urinal to see if maybe I could avoid squatting in the woods so much. Has anyone used one of these contraptions? If so, are they useful? For the life of me, I can't see how you can use them without pulling down your pants, aren't you suppose to be able to do that? Or are they just for keeping you from having to squat?

Here are a couple of the things I have looked at - anyone have a better solution? Thanks.
    The Lady Elegance P EZ http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Elegance-...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

and the Sport and Travel by Freshette http://www.amazon.com/Freshette-Spor...f=pd_sim_hpc_4

After my recent experience at trying to "just squat and pee" ended up with soggy socks, I promptly got online and purchased a P-style. I had previously read all the reviews on the various devices and I was convinced this was the very best, especially for use when hiking.

When it arrived, I tried it out in the bathroom first and it worked like a charm. . .no drips, no runs, no errors! I have since used it out in the woods with the same fantastic result. Clean, easy and portable. Who could ask for more. I used a simple disinfectant swab to wipe it off and tucked it back in the bag.

I am so relieved that now I won't have to wait to be relieved! I can go whenever I need to. There is no need to squat, I can easily use it standing up. I chose the clear one, but there are options for several colors. I doubt anyone catching a glimpse of me farther down the trail would have had any idea what I was doing, after all, who expects a woman to pee standing up! I wish we ever got snow down here, I would try to go out and write my name!

Images

I finally got the opportunity to try out my Pstyle on a hike today. It worked great. The only issue I had was relaxing enough to get the flow going. But I know with more practice it will get easier. I think it is an awesome invention.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

I've long had a Freshette and really like it, but am gonna get a Pstyle and give it a try!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusParable View Post
    I've long had a Freshette and really like it, but am gonna get a Pstyle and give it a try!
    I've used both. Freshette is more reliable, in my opinion.
    Come sail away, come sail away, come and sail away with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3yw...ure=plpp_video

In the 1990's I learned how to squat and pee without getting my socks, boots, or pants wet. There is a trick to it and once you learn it you won't ever forget. I've taught my daughter and granddaughters. I read it in a book called "How to **** in the Woods", and I recommend it if you can even find a copy these days. By the end of the book you can get pretty tired of hearing about how to ****, but go straight to the chapter for women and how to pee.

P-style is the best! The go girl was too flexible for me and had leaking issues. I was able to use the p style with patagonia hiking pants without pulling them down (they were kind of loose fitting) and thus able to pee without worry of exposing myself.

I use the Freshette and love it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wmw999 View Post
    On another side of this issue, is there any sort of female-compatible pee jar that can be used in a tent at night (assuming there's enough privacy in the tent). I'm thinking about a rainy night when getting out of the tent, finding my camp shoes, schlepping over to the privy, etc. is daunting enough that I put it off long enough to impact actual sleep.
    Both the P Style and Freshette work great with a wide-mouth plastic bottle. This is what I use on the boat: http://www.amazon.com/Medline-DYND80...ine+hour+urine

I'm sure this would work inside a tent. It's nice that it has a handle to hold the bottle. It is very lightweight when empty. Perhaps you could find something smaller.

Hiking, water can be at a premium. Even wash water.

It seems to me those items have to be cleaned every use, or, become bacteria ridden. Not to mention the odor.

It is possible to have a twist-on/off lid bowl for urine. It is possible to have sufficient skill to hit, not miss, the bowl.

Even so, I would not want to backpack it either.

If I had to, I would have the bowl and an oforproof OPsak, and, replace the bowl at resupply.

I'm male I tried one once did not work at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Hiking, water can be at a premium. Even wash water.
    It seems to me those items have to be cleaned every use, or, become bacteria ridden. Not to mention the odor.
    Can wipe out P Style with single baby wipe (pack out in baggie). Urine is sterile. Dump plastic jar in am, close, and carry empty. Wipe lid of jar with same wipe. No odor with lid closed. Used same jar for whole season on the boat. Hosed out when had hose water every few weeks.

I have tried most of the divices out there and the first time I used the Freshette it worked the way I wanted it to. I don't need to use the extention.

Images

I use a pstyle and will never go back. It makes life on the trail much easier.

I just started to try out the Pibella from a company in Switzerland, and so far, so good.
    Very easy to use.
    I haven't seen it sold by any North American distributor, yet.
    It's similar to the TravelMate, but much better.
    The company claims in can be used standing, sitting or laying down by all women.
    I wrote a few words about it in the Pee Rag thread.

I have been using the pstyle for two years now and love it. I did have some relearning to do when I tried positioning it with tighter fitting running pants vs shorts. I wipe it with a baby wipe after using and never have had odor issues.
    One time i had it packed in a way that compressed the sides together and it didn't work as expected. I now always make sure the sides are wide enough before using.

P-style. Love it and use it now that I'm finished with my thru too. P-Style plus small gatorade bottle = indoor plumbing in the tent. Never stepped out to pee after I had that combo and never had a drop spill. Like I did when I attempted to pee in plastic bags. But thats another story.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Another vote for the P-style!! Used it on my thru attempt this year. Could stand with my back to the trail and no-one would even know what I was doing. Preferred using a ziplock bag in the tent at night though. Never had any problems with it as long as I made certain it was well sealed.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Catch-Up View Post
    Last fall on the Georgia section of the trail, I had the eery unpleasant experience of contacting poison ivy while squatting in the woods. If you like, you can read about my experience at http://www.appalachiantrailsectionhi...0/day-ten.html
    It was SO not funny!

So I've been investigating the female urinal to see if maybe I could avoid squatting in the woods so much. Has anyone used one of these contraptions? If so, are they useful? For the life of me, I can't see how you can use them without pulling down your pants, aren't you suppose to be able to do that? Or are they just for keeping you from having to squat?
    The P Style is the only one that really works well without disrobing. Forget about "Go Girl" - a disaster, even with disrobing. "Freshette" works well for camping/boating, but requires lowering of clothes. P style can be used just unzipping and moving underwear to the side. Here's a link: Get the clear one, so you can monitor urine color and keep track of your hydration.

http://www.amazon.com/pStyle-Blue/dp...urinary+device

You tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilum5Rp5Elo

Practice in the bathtub before you go hiking. Make sure to press upwards in the back, and point tip down and away. It works great! What a blessing when you're carrying a full pack.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++