Default New Osprey Aura AG 50 vs Older Version (Not AG)?

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with the Osprey Aura AG, specifically in comparison to the older model that did not have the anti-gravity suspension. I have had the opportunity to try on the new AG model and thought it was incredibly comfortable, and would have bought it on the spot if it hadn't been $230. Trying to save some money since I am a "starving medical student", I was able to find the older model Aura 50 on eBay (in a much better color IMO) for less than half that. However, I'm concerned that I will be missing the AG feature that sold me on the pack in the first place. Is there really that much difference? And if so, is it worth an extra $115?

Thanks for all your help!

*Just for reference, I am 5'1" 125# and have pretty broad athletic shoulders. I was sized to be a Small in the Aura. I am mostly looking to use the pack for long weekend trips (2-4 days) on the AT. Also not too concerned about going ultralight and plan to split my tent with a hiking partner.

Images

No quite answering your question but....Did you look at the Osprey Exos 48 unisex pack? I just purchased one for hiking the AT next year. It is less expensive and may fit your needs with shorter hikes and be big enough for your gear even not going "light". I spent quite a bit of time trying on a variety of packs and loading with my gear for basic feel when loaded. I'm 5'5" and a bit heavier than you. No matter what your choice consider that your pack will be on your back all day, a good fit and comfortable features are worth the extra costs. Being from Maine it's easy for me to shop at LLBeans. I found over the years their policy providing a full refund or replacement for any reason (and they have always honored that with no questions when I brought something back) worth paying more than shopping used from ebay where you have little recourse if something breaks a month down the road. REI has similar policy I believe. When you are talking something as important as your pack I wouldn't look at saving money on purchasing what I wanted - rather look to save money on other hiking needs. In the long run you may not be saving anything by purchasing something less than what your want in your heart. I speak from experience of the past when I bought something cheaper to save money only to ended up replacing it in a year or two with what I wanted originally so spending way more than if I just bit the bullet and got what I wanted originally. Good luck - with your pack choice and med school.

The AG is slightly havier than the earlier model and carries up to maybe 25 lbs more comfortably than the earlier model for most people. But, the AG sucks for 35+ lbs (again, for most people, not everyone). The AG is also a bit less durable with all that tention mesh.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have the Osprey Aura 50 AG and have used it on several short, 3-4 day hikes and I LOVE it! It's super comfortable and holds everything I need. In my opinion, it's totally worth the price. On a side note, I found it for just over $160 here: http://www.barrabes.world/osprey-aur...Fdg8gQodJ4UIQg

Thank you so much for all of your helpful answers! I decided to go for it and get the AG since it was so comfortable when I tried it loaded up in the store. I was able to find my other gear used at great prices to balance out the budget. I will try to update when I take it out on a weekend trip in the next few weeks, but after loading all of my gear at home, everything seems to fit well and the fit of the pack is wonderful!
    I appreciate the insight!

My husband has an Osprey Atmos AG. He says he hardly ever feels his pack, but then he is also in awesome shape.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++