Thread: Camp Sandals

Default Camp Sandals

Hey ladies,
    What camp sandals, if any, do you pack. Chacos hurt my ankle (previous surgery). I've got an awesome set of Havainas that are very lightweight like a flip flop with a rear strap. But I'm looking at some Tevas.
    Suggestions! Hates loves?

Images

Dawgs or nothing. Dawgs are more of a water shoe than a sandal which makes them better for creek crossings. Tevas or Chacos are what people HIKE in from what I have seen on the trail.

I prefer Tevas. On top of being super-comfy, you can wear them with or without socks based on the weather.

I don't take camp shoes but I do take a pair of kids "jelly" shoes for large creek crossings. I prefer to go barefoot around camp and on smaller creek crossings I can't rock-hop.

I whipped up a pair of huaraches out of some old hiking boot inserts and shoestring, they're 56 grams for the pair and I find them really comfortable. There are plenty of tutorials online but here's the one I followed: http://www.instructables.com/id/Basic-DIY-Huarache-Running-Hiking-Sandals/
    20170504_182735.jpg

The last time I was barefoot outside it was in this beautiful, lush lakeside medow. I kicked off my shoes, looked at all the soft grass, took two steps...and stepped on a bee.

Gotta have something. At least for me. My general bad luck demands it. The huaraches are neat.

That huaraches are very impressive. Great job.
    I actually carry a pair of New Balance Minimus Running Shoes which, after weighing, turned out to be lighter than my Tevas. I was looking at Oofos, but Dawgs look similar but for less money.
    Seems like nearly everyone I see on the AT is carrying Crocs.

Not the sexiest camp shoes but I swear by my Crocs. A covered toe is crucial to me as I'm always getting sticks jammed in them when I pee at night! Sad but true

I'll first start by saying that I"m not a woman, but my friend on the AT used a pair of superfeet insoles with some cord as sandals and they seemed to work out great for him and were ultralight and free because he was going to throw them out anyway

I carried faux crocs on my recent section. As mentioned above, they are great in protecting your toes, they're light, and they can be hiked in if need be. I misjudged a rock crossing and my left foot went in up to my ankle so I hiked in my crocs up to the shelter while my shoe and sock dried out on the back of my pack.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Dawgs or nothing. Dawgs are more of a water shoe than a sandal which makes them better for creek crossings. Tevas or Chacos are what people HIKE in from what I have seen on the trail.
    I've got a pair of of their Hounds (from Walgreens) and really like them. Super light and full toe protection....and comfortable!

My Tevas are life. I love them so much

Images

I either carry knock off crocs (I have a pair going on a decade of near constant summer wear that I bought from Rose's/Dollar General) or a pair of blue tyvek surgical shoe covers.

The crocs replace my hiking shoes for camp shoes, the shoe covers go over bare feet for the most minimalist experience ever, or over my hiking soles to keep my camp gear clean(ish) if I simply loosen the laces on them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++