WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Well, I never did like National Parks - too much BS to put up with. This is just gonna make it even worse. The land of many abuses is much better. It's just too bad going around the park isn't very easy and will cost a lot more than going through it. Even after they rise the fees to $20 a night cuz they aren't making enough money at 5.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's just too bad going around the park isn't very easy and will cost a lot more than going through it.
    hitching is free and easy

Alrightythen, sorry to get this back to MY HIKE and what this means to me:

So what I take from this is - (possibly) pay my fees ahead of time and make certain to arrive late to each shelter thus increasing the chances to be forced into my tent – which is all I want anyway.

Now, since I feel some of you here must know this answer: Roughly how many miles of the A.T. OUTSIDE of the GSMNP are forced shelter use areas?

Thanks!

just baxter state park

Images

Quote Originally Posted by golden eagle View Post
    What are you babbling about?
    It is obvious from your reply you have no clue. Since you are arguing an absurd point with limited background on the subject, and one that is not even within the scope of the new policy I think I will move on. I do suggest you learn more about policy and maybe it will help you understand. But for the time being I'll let it go completly with you.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    This is what I want to know. I don't have a cellphone. How am I supposed to make a reservation in advance?
    Now this is a proposal I can get on board with. Michigan does something similar in regard to entrance fees at some of the state recreation areas. You fill out a permit and put on your windshield and put your fee in the envelope into the pvc tube.
    I hope it turns into something this simple. The original proposal would not accomodate this since they were stuck using that site for the original proposal. Since the new policy says they will work to develop something else I am hopeful. The best simple solution would be an honor system for thru hikers and back-country sites that do not currently require a reservation. For reservation sites have something similar to what they have now. It seems this would be easiest to add and have the least administrative overhead for them.

You can safely bet Melissia is reading this as she did last time. Good ideas are actually considered by them. I bet the ATC is probably drafting a letter to this now. I heard on local radio that Morgan Summerville has written a letter opposing the new policy while also stating they understand why you would want this in an area of limited cell coverage - specifically about the two rangers being added.

I hope to work with the BMTA on our official position on this as well. If it is going to happen I want hikers to have some input on the nuts and bolts. Last year when I talked to Melissa she was closely following the WhiteBlaze thread on this and without a doubt I am sure she is again.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just baxter state park
    Thanks

So the amount I MAY be forced into a shelter on the A.T. are less than 90 miles in the GSMNP and Baxter State Park. Otherwise I can tent, terrific.

Now, SGT if you would please help arrange it so I can pay any necessary fees (new fees too) 14 months in advance with my Kroger card while in Kroger when I pick up my milk, I’d appreciate it.

Images

LOL. I'm all over that.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Paying to camp at backcountry sites in the smokies?

I just saw this article and wondered what people here might think about this?

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...ee?odyssey=mod

It doesn't specifically say whether thru-hikers would be subject to the fees, but it seems like they would be...One of the beautiful things about thru-hiking is that the trail itself is completely free to hike. Thoughts?

i'm all for it

I never like to pay for something that was once free, but $4 is not a lot. As long as the reservation system is flexible enough to accomodate backpacker needs, I think there are more onerous things to complain about. It remains to be seen how the new rules will accomodate thru hikers, but as an annual visitor to the park shelters, I don't have a big issue with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    It remains to be seen how the new rules will accomodate thru hikers, but as an annual visitor to the park shelters, I don't have a big issue with this.
    thru-hikers should be treated the same as anyone else. they're on vacation and made a choice to walk through the park and stay in a shelter. they ain't special

Images

I don't mind the money per se but this feels like paying rent to a private property owner - - the problem is that it is public land - - you and I ARE the property owners. I hate the inconvenience more than anything. I hiked the park in 4 days in December - there was pretty good snow out - - took forever to get someone on the phone to make the reservations - - I got ahead of schedule and ended up one shelter ahead - - worried for a while, then realized that no ranger was showing up -- it didn't matter - it was zero and snowing - - this sort of thing just irks me (and $4 is just a start - watch - it'll be $10 in a few years).

I'm all for the fees, but then I'm not a CPA (with enough info to figure out cost/benefit) like some on here seem to think they are. In addition, thru hikers should not be given any special allowance for fees or reservations.

Journal Entries

$4 isn't reasonable? I might spend $20 spending nights in GSMNP if you walk long you could cut that in half. People spend that on a pack of cigarettes.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Don't know if it will make a difference, but I hope this cuts down on the number of people who reserve the LeConte shelter in winter and then no-show because it's snowing...which is when I want to go. Of course now I may not be able to make a same-day reservation anymore, so who really knows.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    +1.........
    ***? Damn Straight! But seriously folks who goes through the Smokies in March or April other than thru-hikers and earlt rising bears?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    ***? Damn Straight! But seriously folks who goes through the Smokies in March or April other than thru-hikers and earlt rising bears?
    Kids on spring break?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Stir Fry

I think the same system that is in place for thru hikers now and a set fee of $20 to $30 would work. Gives thru hikes the flexability they have now and they are not limited to how fast or slow they can get thru the park. Fill out your permit put cash in the invelope drop in box at the entrance and hike.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    I think the same system that is in place for thru hikers now and a set fee of $20 to $30 would work. Gives thru hikes the flexability they have now and they are not limited to how fast or slow they can get thru the park. Fill out your permit put cash in the invelope drop in box at the entrance and hike.
    Sounds good to me but some others have stated this is not good enough.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++