WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pinhoti Trail Thru-Hike

Hey all,
    I'm hoping to do a thru-hike of the Pinhoti Trail northbound starting in April or May but I really want to get that homemade guide through the www.pinhotitrailalliance.org website. Unfortunately, I can't figure out a way to contact the guy without snail mail. I really want to make this trail my next hiking film. I know about the maps available and so forth so I plan on picking those up as well. The real detail I need at the moment is that pocket guide. Can anyone help me get my hands on it? Let me know and thanks for any help you wonderful people can give me.
    Tuts

Stay in touch if you need anything in my area. Be glad to help in any way I can. I'm only 2 miles from the trail in GA.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

That website is hard on the eyes. I get a headache just trying to figure out what it is I am looking for in the first place.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Hey Tuts I'll be on the Pinhoti about the same time as you. Solo the guy whos pocket guide you are wanting is a little hard to get a hold of right now. From what i have been told by mother natures son is that they are building a new house and that's where all his energy is right now. Me and another guy will be working quite a bit on the trail when I get back from FL. You can print out those snail trail pages down the left side of the main page and they are the same as the guide. This is what we use. And you can print the Mr. Parkay's maps and they are better than the USFS maps. They are really accurate. I can probably even hike with you a little if you'd like. Just let me know where and when you're gonna be and we'll go from there. More than likely can help with resupply if nothing else.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

The info that is in his pocket guide is on the web site. It is on the left hand side listed as Trail Guides. You can copy and past each section into your own document, Word or whatever. The text will copy as white but select all and change font color to black in your Word doc, etc.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I copied and pasted the info from the web site onto an Excel spread sheet. It pretty much tells you what you need to know. Re-supply may be an issue, not many stores along the way. I ran across one hiker that put supplies in a plastic bucket with a tight lid and buried it before he started the hike. Good luck on your hike.

Thanks for the info everyone. Now I'm trying to figure out where I can camp legally. I know there are some shelters (really far apart) but in those large gaps between shelters where could I legally camp? Note: I don't stealth-camp illegally... ever. thanks for any help you can give.
    Tuts

My issue right now is that I'm seeing a huge gap between the trailhead and the first campsite at mile 42.7... That's a very large gap even for me. Anyone know any other gaps off hand? Anyone know a solution to this gap that doesnt' involve illegal camping? Thanks for any help.
    tuts

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    My issue right now is that I'm seeing a huge gap between the trailhead and the first campsite at mile 42.7... That's a very large gap even for me. Anyone know any other gaps off hand? Anyone know a solution to this gap that doesnt' involve illegal camping? Thanks for any help.
    tuts
    My best advice would be slack pack those first 30 road miles and spend the night in Sylacauga. There are multiple road access points and only 3-7 miles into town. You can camp most anyplace in national forest, which is most of the trail aside from the three big road walks.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Now I'm trying to figure out where I can camp legally. I know there are some shelters (really far apart) but in those large gaps between shelters where could I legally camp? Note: I don't stealth-camp illegally... ever. thanks for any help you can give.
    Tuts
    You do not have to use the shelters. I normally do not use the shelters when hiking the Pinhoti...it's legal...you'll see fire rings scattered all along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    You do not have to use the shelters. I normally do not use the shelters when hiking the Pinhoti...it's legal...you'll see fire rings scattered all along the trail.
    As bearpaw said most of the trail is on national forest, perfectly legal to camp there. Road walk? Different story.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

I'll offer what little advice I can and be of any help I can. I have hiked a few sections of the Alabama Pinhoti and as people have stated you can camp almost anywhere. There are "designated campsites"(already cleared and setup with a fire ring) every few miles.
    The first three sections as you have probably read are still a road walk. I am not familiar with this part right now as I haven't felt compelled to walk down the road
    There is a short interesting discussion here talking about how the woods trail portion of section 3 is finished, but not publicized.
    http://www.alabamatrail.org/forum/vi...8467b46d8444e1

I actually am planning to hike section 4 for the first time on the 24/25 of this month. I'll see what I can see of section 3 and let you know. Maybe I'll take the time to drive the road walk portion if I am ahead of schedule.

++ New Posts ++