WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Insoles - What do you recommend?

Do most people get insoles? Can anyone share their experiences? I've recently had some foot pain after ice skating of all things. Hopefully in will go away but I was thinking about getting insoles.

i have green superfeet and i love them. they made my feet ache the first week or so of wearing them but are wonderful after they break in.

Images

The thing to keep in mind is it's going to vary based on mainly the arches of your feet. If you have low arches, Superfeet green won't be that great for you. However, if you have high arches (I do), that particular model should work really well for you (they work amazing for me). There are versions for lower arches, too... I think blue is a low-medium arch.

To test your arch, the easiest way is to step on a damp cloth/towel, then step on newspaper. You'll see the shape of your foot from that. Then based on how much of the footprint is "lost" to the arch, you can determine what would likely work best for you.

Images

I have the (Blue) Sole inserts, they mold to your feet either by baking them or wearing them. They seem to cup my heel properly and provide a high arch. Yes they are $$$.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4sisrytoly_e

Journal Entries

I suggest you go to a Podiatry Doctor and be properly fitted. I purchased 3 different type of insoles that did not work properly before going to a doctor.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Properly sized Green SuperFeet. Make sure our heel fits within the heel cup and the length is adequate (it can be trimmed). Do not rely on the sizing chart on the box!

Depends on your feet. What works for me could be awful for you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Thanks for the replies. I got my feet checked out at the local running store today. Of course I was working out with the wrong type running shoe. I have a low arch and needed more stability. I got some orange Superfeet insoles and they really feel good.

Images

Foot Levelers

They lasted the entire trail, but were in bad shape by the end. They were two years old when I started. These are the best insoles I have ever had. I got mine through a chiropractor and I have an appointment tomorrow to be fitted for another pair. I move these from shoe to shoe depending on what I wear.

Langers Bio Advanced Range

They are a new product launch and are really good for there money, i have used there purple insole and it feels like im walking on air

If you can find something off the shelf that works for you it's a lot cheaper. And remember whatever you get your going to have to buy a new pair every year or so. I use Spenco Polysorb Total support insoles and they work for me. I walk about 1200 miles a year on easy terrain and I get a new pair about evey year. If you have foot issues then a doc is probably the best way to go. Good insoles make a difference. I consider them as important as the shoe itself.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    I suggest you go to a Podiatry Doctor and be properly fitted. I purchased 3 different type of insoles that did not work properly before going to a doctor.
    i second this. after 500 miles, sore feet, 4 loss toenails i saw a podiatrist(he was a hiker) haven't had a problem since.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Initially i had bought a insole but that did not suited me. They gave me un-bearable pain but when i consulted a Podiatry doctor he suggested me a good one. I think before trying anything you should consult a doctor first.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonylee View Post
    Initially i had bought a insole but that did not suited me. They gave me un-bearable pain but when i consulted a Podiatry doctor he suggested me a good one. I think before trying anything you should consult a doctor first.
    For this, should one go to a Superfeet ``medical dealer" (as they are called on the Superfeet website) or just to any podiatry doctor and then to a store that sells and maybe fits Superfeet? The closest Superfeet ``medical dealer" is about an hour away from me; if this is the best way to go about this, I would go that far.

My guess is that I have underpronation, as the older shoes I currently have are worn out on the outside of the heel, near the back, on both shoes. When I hiked the LT last summer, I got pain in my right ankle for a few days in the middle and I have been getting this (on both ankles, but occasionally and to much lesser extent) from playing tennis or walking around a bit on hard surfaces since then. On the LT, my left ankle might have been saved by the boot (Vasque Breeze, but I have now switched to Lowa Renegade); I could tighten the left boot around the ankle, but not the right one because it hurt the bone sticking out to the inside (when I tried Vasque Wasath at an EMS a couple of weeks after the LT trip, the same thing happened). I also had some knee pain on the outside of the left knee toward the end of the LT hike, but only when some pressure was applied there; this kept on reoccuring since the LT hike, but seems to have gone away finally after 6+ months. I think this is all consistent with under-pronation, but I'd rather discuss this with a doctor to figure out what kind of insoles I should try.

The SoHo EMS is a Custom Fit Dealer for Superfeet. Do they do more than just cut the insoles to size? What is the difference between custom fit insoles and off-shelf ones? Would you recommend the Custom Fit Center at the SoHo EMS (or maybe a particular person there)?

Many thanks.

I used Dr. Scholls Gel Sport Insoles...about $15 a pair and available at any drug store or grocery store along the way. I replaced them about every 500 miles or so, and couldn't have been happier with their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak88 View Post
    I have the (Blue) Sole inserts, they mold to your feet either by baking them or wearing them. They seem to cup my heel properly and provide a high arch. Yes they are $$$.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4sisrytoly_e
    I second that.

I just got my 2nd pair of green Superfeet and the breaking in period kind of sucks, but the results are worth it in the end. Great insole.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Unless you believe that your feet are unusually formed, then I would first try one of the brands that you warm in the oven and then mold to your feet. I think it's worth the $30 experiment before you visit a podiatrist. My podiatrist created $500(!) orthotics to address my high arches, but I later found that the oven-bake orthotics were just fine for me.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++