WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Clothing for May thru end of August NOBO

I was wondering if anyone can help me with clothing choices for a NOBO hike from May to August. I want to be as light as possible and yet still be comfortable. I also want to have rain gear as well. Please let me know of some good choices that still won't break the bank for me.

thanks,
    paintedstars

From thrift stores and walmart:

Nylon: socks (3 pairs), convertable pants, tshirt (2), arm warmers (make from tights legs)
    Driducks rain suit $20
    Fleece 100: hat, gloves, sleeping socks, pull over turtle neck (walmat makes a $10 copy of the patagonia r1)
    Wear your sleeping bag if that isn't enough.

Thats my opinion anyway. Not that it will work for you.

Images

Default interesting!

It warms my heart that I am not the only person who is very frugal and feels spending 76 dollars for a boonie cap etc...is a complete waste of money! Thanks for the input. I have bought most of my gear off amazon and love the reviews of people who actually described the gear as good if not better than items costing 100s of dollars more.

Images

If thrift stores don't work well for you, I've had great experience using C9 gear from Target. It's all UnderArmor-like gear, but like 25% of the price. The boxer-briefs (9") are still my go-to underwear when I'm doing anything outdoors and avoiding cotton. They've held up incredibly well, they seem to repel smells fairly well (by polyester standards, anyway) even after eating Taco Bell, they very much help protect from chafing. They make good socks, too, but they might end up being a little more expensive than some "dress socks" that will most likely be easily acquired at a thrift store. What I like about athletic socks over dress socks, though (as long as the socks aren't cotton, you'll be ok), is that athletic socks tend to be contoured L/R. Since feet are L/R anyway, the angle of the toes as well as support for the arch makes a great deal of difference, in my experience anyway.

A good rule of thumb is that when you do splurge, splurge on how well you can sleep, and splurge on your feet. Spending an extra $1 per pair of socks is a worthwhile splurge if you ask me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    If thrift stores don't work well for you, I've had great experience using C9 gear from Target. It's all UnderArmor-like gear, but like 25% of the price. The boxer-briefs (9") are still my go-to underwear when I'm doing anything outdoors and avoiding cotton. They've held up incredibly well, they seem to repel smells fairly well (by polyester standards, anyway) even after eating Taco Bell, they very much help protect from chafing. They make good socks, too, but they might end up being a little more expensive than some "dress socks" that will most likely be easily acquired at a thrift store. What I like about athletic socks over dress socks, though (as long as the socks aren't cotton, you'll be ok), is that athletic socks tend to be contoured L/R. Since feet are L/R anyway, the angle of the toes as well as support for the arch makes a great deal of difference, in my experience anyway.

A good rule of thumb is that when you do splurge, splurge on how well you can sleep, and splurge on your feet. Spending an extra $1 per pair of socks is a worthwhile splurge if you ask me

Thanks rwheeler! Im going to go to target this week and check them out! I might as well ask you since you seem pretty knowledgeable...should I buy a new pair of merrels and break them in that are a half size larger? The pair I wear now are tight to my toes and I am afraid if my feet do swell I will be in misery in the hike. Is a half size enough?

Images

I'm going on the side of "wait and see how big my feet are when I need new shoes" on my thru this year. I didn't want to go and buy shoes, then have them be tight as well. The good thing about shoes is that they're pretty comfortable (or should be, anyway) right when you get them. If you're talking about boots, then it's hard to tell, really.

You can definitely get better answers to that question from someone else, hahaha.

i have had great luck with target stuff and it seems to fit me better then the wallyworld.

++ New Posts ++