WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pack list input

Images

Default Pack list input

So here is what I've got so far. Some of it I've already got, some of it I don't, some of it I'm trying to make etc. Just looking for some input. What can I do without, what should I add and so forth. This does not include food or water.

I apologize ahead of time for length

hauling and sleeping
    Pack
    Trash bag liner
    sleeping pad
    sleeping bag/compression sack
    Tent/stakes/poles/ground cloth/compression sack
    Cooking
    cat can stove/windscreen
    fuel
    pot
    lighter
    plastic spork
    water bottles
    50' rope
    stuff sack for food
    some kind of container for stove and fuel
    pocket knife
    Extra clothing not worn
    compression sack for cloths
    1 top
    1 bottom
    2 undies
    2 socks
    1 jacket/pullover of some kind
    rain jacket
    rain pants
    camp shoes (crocs)
    1 sports bra
    Hygiene/toiletries
    sm tube toothpaste
    teeny tiny baby tootbrush
    TP
    mini sized hand sanitzer
    Ziplock to keep it all in
    Medicine
    travel sized deoderant
    Disposable razer minus handle
    Documents:
    photo ID
    1 debit or credit card
    health card with what I'm allergic too
    cash
    data book
    map of section
    ziplock bag to keep it all in
    Repair
    Repair kit for tent/pack
    sm roll of duct tape
    Other
    camera
    ex memory card
    Li batteries
    Ziplock to keep it in
    Clothing worn
    Boots
    1 pair socks
    1 tshirt
    1 undies
    1 sports bra
    1 athletic type shorts
    watch

So what do you guys think?

I should note that I am section hiking for a month starting June 3rd 2013 at Springer and going north till we run out of time.

Images

I'd ditch the extra undies or one pair of 'em at least, the deodorant, razor, camp shoes, and extra sports bra...these are the common extras that people tend to be cautioned against. (The length isn't bad at all.) If you want higher quality guidance, you'd do well to include the weight of the items you already have as well as a target base weight.

I'm sure someone else will weigh in shortly.
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

If you are planning on wearing boots (rather than trail runners), I'd keep the Crocs (the kind without the lining). They are oh so comfortable after hiking all day in boots and they don't weigh very much. Gotta take care of your feet and getting them out of your boots at the end of the day is a good idea. If you develop a blister, you might be glad to have a second pair of shoes to wear around camp. I've seen some people hike in Crocs because their feet had turned to hamburger. As a bonus, they are easy to slip on if you have to get up to pee at night. I've seen some people get a second use out of them as a pillow of sorts. I would also not bother with the deodorant, razor, and extra bra. Just my two cents.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    If you are planning on wearing boots (rather than trail runners), I'd keep the Crocs (the kind without the lining). They are oh so comfortable after hiking all day in boots and they don't weigh very much. Gotta take care of your feet and getting them out of your boots at the end of the day is a good idea. If you develop a blister, you might be glad to have a second pair of shoes to wear around camp. I've seen some people hike in Crocs because their feet had turned to hamburger. As a bonus, they are easy to slip on if you have to get up to pee at night. I've seen some people get a second use out of them as a pillow of sorts. I would also not bother with the deodorant, razor, and extra bra. Just my two cents.
    Yeah, I was suggesting no crocs under the suspicion that she was hiking in trail runners. Good call.
    My ink trail.

AT 2012

it'll be warm then -- i'd consider loosing the rain pants... and i'd make the socks ankle height so they dry more quickly, and as light weight as you are comfortable with in your shoes. this is a good simple list. you are carrying few enough items that i'm not sure you need all of the compression sacks. consider just stuffing everything into your trash bag, starting with the sleeping bag on the bottom.

i hope you have a wonderful hike.
    Lazarus

Good list, health card with allergens- if you have any serious medical information that people need to know about you look into getting one of those dog tags and wear it around your neck, easy access for a paramedic. If you are unconscious and need immediate help you dont want someone to have to search through your backpack looking for this info.

[So here is what I've got so far. Some of it I've already got, some of it I don't, some of it I'm trying to make etc. Just looking for some input. What can I do without, what should I add and so forth. This does not include food or water.

I apologize ahead of time for length

hauling and sleeping
    Pack
    Trash bag liner
    sleeping pad
    sleeping bag/compression sack
    Tent/stakes/poles/ground cloth/compression sack
    Cooking
    cat can stove/windscreen
    fuel
    pot
    lighter
    plastic spork I would use a metal one
    water bottles
    50' rope Try mason line to reduce weight
    stuff sack for food
    some kind of container for stove and fuel
    pocket knife
    Extra clothing not worn
    compression sack for cloths
    1 top
    1 bottom
    2 undies
    2 socks
    1 jacket/pullover of some kind
    rain jacket Since you are hiking in warm weather
    rain pants consider Driducks to save weight
    camp shoes (crocs) HYOH but . . .
    1 sports bra
    Hygiene/toiletries
    sm tube toothpaste
    teeny tiny baby tootbrush
    TP
    mini sized hand sanitzer
    Ziplock to keep it all in
    Medicine
    travel sized deoderant
    Disposable razer minus handle Keep the handle
    Documents:
    photo ID
    1 debit or credit card
    health card with what I'm allergic too
    cash
    data book
    map of section Most folks don't carry maps
    ziplock bag to keep it all in
    Repair
    Repair kit for tent/pack
    sm roll of duct tape
    Other
    camera
    ex memory card
    Li batteries
    Ziplock to keep it in
    Clothing worn
    Boots
    1 pair socks
    1 tshirt
    1 undies
    1 sports bra
    1 athletic type shorts
    watch

So what do you guys think?

I should note that I am section hiking for a month starting June 3rd 2013 at Springer and going north till we run out of time.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

(Most folks don't carry maps?? Says who, sw?) CARRY maps!
    Don't need a razor, imo. I see lots of razors at hostels or you can pick up one in town. I'm not big on deodorant either, but that's up to you
    Agree, don't need rain pants
    If its lexan, a lexan spork is fine, Mine lasted 2,000 miles.
    Don't need a repair kit.
    I'd carry a pack cover. Get your pack in a thunderstorm it will get soaked and HEAVY. No guarantee a garbage liner will keep anything dry either
    A "rolll" of duct tape is overkill
    first aid kit?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Says me. I think I saw two people with maps last year.

A few feet of duct tape is all you need. You can wrap some around a pole or aound a Bic pen. I didn't see a light source I might borrow a toothbrush but not a razor. Pack cover for sure. If you don't already have one Zpack has a Cuben one that weighs about a ounce.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Give us some more info and we can be more helpful.

When and where do you plan to hike?
    What pieces of gear do you already own?
    How much $$ do you have to spend on buying stuff?
    What kind of stuff do you want to make, and what equipment and skills do you have?

Maps are a big back and forth on this site. Some carry, many do not. Let's not turn this thread into a map debate thread please.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
    Yeah, I was suggesting no crocs under the suspicion that she was hiking in trail runners. Good call.
    I've sprained my ankle so many times that the tendons are just stretched so I turn my ankle very easily. Boots are the only thing I can think of that would provide proper ankle support

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    I've sprained my ankle so many times that the tendons are just stretched so I turn my ankle very easily. Boots are the only thing I can think of that would provide proper ankle support
    FWIW I've got bad ankles and some of the worst injuries have happened in boots. A good ankle brace and comfortable shoes are better in my experience.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Give us some more info and we can be more helpful.

When and where do you plan to hike?
    What pieces of gear do you already own?
    How much $$ do you have to spend on buying stuff?
    What kind of stuff do you want to make, and what equipment and skills do you have?
    I'm starting at Springer on June 3rd of 2013 hiking north for a month till we run out of time. We plan to get at least as far as the far end of GSMNP prolly a bit further.

I already have the pack, liner, rain cover (came with the pack forgot to mention), sleeping pad/bag, stove, pot, fuel, water bottles, rope, all the hygiene/clothes/other stuff.

I'm on a budget so I am hoping to not buy as much as possible or at least buy used or inexpensive. (I do have a tent picked out that I will be getting in a paycheck or two and a Steri-pen that a couple of my aunts are getting for me as a birthday present so that's covered forgot to mention)

I'm not particularly handy either. I made the stove and I was ridiculously proud of myself and all that was is a cat can with some holes punched in I've got my dad who is fairly good at this kind of stuff but he's sick and I can't really rely on him for everything right now. I've only got very basic tools for making things.

Hope that was enough extra info

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    Good list, health card with allergens- if you have any serious medical information that people need to know about you look into getting one of those dog tags and wear it around your neck, easy access for a paramedic. If you are unconscious and need immediate help you dont want someone to have to search through your backpack looking for this info.
    Dog tags are an excellent suggestion. I'm on seizure meds at the moment, that's definitely something I'd want known right away.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If you have problems with weak ankles then address the problem properly through rehab/pt/strengthening and if necessary a brace. Boots are not good for hiking. Inexperienced hikers and a few old codgers will tell you otherwise.

Tents are heavy and expensive. I wouldn't by one if I were you. I'm a big flat-tarp fan 6x10 for one person, 8x10 for two. But there's a lot of good middle ground options as well, tarptents and the like. There aren't really many bugs that time of the year, unless you camp somewhere swampy where you shouldn't be camping.

the only clothing you need: what you're wearing, a rainjacket, 2 extra pairs of socks, +girl specific undergarments. camp shoes are pretty silly. If your hiking shoes aren't comfortable then you need different hiking shoes. And carrying an extra pair of shoes all day probably hurts your feet more than the benefit you get for having a fresh pair for camp.a

Leave the razor and pocketknife at home.

If you have something like seiizures get a medical alert bracelet--it'll draw a lot more attention to any medicalproblem than dog tags.

for duct-tape I take a 2"x3" or so piece of corrugated cardboard and wrap like 15-20 feet of the tape around the cardboard

Images

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm definitely going to be incorporating a lot of it into my revised list. Also, ditching the boots, picking up a brace, and getting some lighter-weight shoes of some type.

Thanks again!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm definitely going to be incorporating a lot of it into my revised list. Also, ditching the boots, picking up a brace, and getting some lighter-weight shoes of some type.

Thanks again!

Rock on.
    My ink trail.

++ New Posts ++