Images

Default SOBO July 10th, looking for hiking partners

I am a 46 year old female hiking SOBO this year. I'm flying to Maine on the 9th, summiting Katahdin the 10th and heading south on the 11th. My family members are extrememly worried for my safety. I'm a little worried, but not so much. I like hiking alone, have been doing so for years, but usually had a large dog with me. He is no longer here. I'm looking for another female, near my age and in good physical shape from the get go, to hike with. I'm very independent and seek the same. This is more of a safety issue than a companion issue. I plan to stealth camp and avoid shelters as much as possible. I plan to stay in towns only every other week. I am doing this on a relatively tight budget. I plan to finish by xmas. Once I get past the Whites, I plan to crank out some miles. Drop a line if you are interested and have similar plans, concerns and needs.
    There are two grades to a mountain, either you can do it or you can't.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hope you find someone. I'd love to go again..sigh...but not this year.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

My plans have changed dramatically due to family and pet issues. I am now planning to leaving Springer mid July and hike to Harper's
    Ferry by mid October.
    Next summer, I'll hike from HF to Katahdin.
    I just cannot afford the time or finances to be away 6 months. This is my compromise.
    There are two grades to a mountain, either you can do it or you can't.

Images

birdygal and ckwolf.. im starting at Harpers Ferry in mid April and going north..will be 61 in 2 mos... might see ya!

Hiking alone is not as bad or unsafe as it may seem. I hiked GA, NC, TENN, Maine and NH last Spring and Summer. I was really pleased at how safe I felt in terms of other people. I probably spent an even amount of time in shelters (biggest problem was snorers and mice), camping at shelter sites or along the trail (not really stealth). I probably felt "safer" at shelters or close to shelters. I used a two person tent, so there was always a question if there was one or two in the tent, (I suppose.) The AT community was very protective of me. I found people who really looked after me and reached out to me (I was not a speed hiker).
    The only time that I felt unsafe was hiking through the Whites by myself. That wasn't the people, that was some of the terrain. I was always grateful to run into someone along the trail to hike with. The amazing thing was how often other hikers crossed my trail when I needed them - like at a water crossing that I couldn't figure out. That is part of the magic of the AT.
    I am 56, by the way. I live in the inner-city of Atlanta, so I am used to being around all types of folks. In terms of people, I never met anyone along the AT that surpassed or even met closely to some of the "characters" I have met while living in the city. While there are characters on the AT, they seem to want to know about how your hike is going and to talk about their own experience. It is such a wonderful life changing treat.
    Even if you don't find a hiking partner, I hope that you will not listen to the naysayers. I encourage you to strike out by yourself. Make your hike your own. It is an amazing journey whether you complete the thru-hike or just a section. There are so many wonderful friendships you will forge, and you may pick up a hiking partner that will go with you for your entire journey. I am sure that you will have many hiking partners along the AT.
    Good Luck!
    Why Jay Brave
    "To resolve, is to succeed." Chinese Fortune Cookie

++ New Posts ++