WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Smokies were no big deal.

Honestly I had much more problems with descents in NE - and with Mahoosuc Notch because I did it alone in the rain

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Take a look at the Katahdin Profile on the AT map, nothing comes close, and where else are there bars in the boulders to pull yourself up that to most folks arent optional.
    let me say that I have not sobo'd (except for the few miles after i touched the sign and had to turn around and get back to the birches) but aren't the sobo's going up that mountain without a pack?and with fresh legs. i know K is tough but I would imagine tougher climbs for the southbounder.

With that being said, the climbs were never as bad to me as the descents. Moosiluak (sp.?) in the rain was memorable.or scary.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

For anything south of New England, I'd have to nominate the "Agony Grind" in NY just south of NY17 and Harriman State Park. It's the climb up onto Arden Mt. and is alarmingly steep even though it's shorter than a lot of the steep New England climbs. I was very glad to be going down it instead of up when I did this section as a NOBO section hiker.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Journal Entries

I know the first time I climbed out of Gooch Gap NOBO. It was at the end of a long day in Aug and I thought I was going to die. I know it's not that bad a climb but I still dread it every time. It's just stuck in my head from that one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    While section hiking in Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) this week I had someone tell me that Thunderhead Mountain was the toughest climb/stretch for a SOBO on the entire AT. While it was no piece of cake (especially with the snow and ice), based upon the stories I have read/heard about NH and ME I find this hard to believe. Perhaps the toughest climb/stretch for the GSMNP section of the AT, but the entire AT?

So I thought I would ask the experts who have actual first hand experience. So SOBOs what say you?
    As others stated, "toughest" has too many variables to be applied universally. It depends on weather, time of year, fitness level, health, nutrition (been humping southbound for 300 miles fueled only by candy bars? Ya, a climb is going to be rough).

The AT has rough climbs throughout, but as I look back, I'd definetly say the New England section (Whites, and especially Southern Maine) were some tough, steep, borderline technical climbs. Didn't help that it was smack dab in the middle of summer when I climbed them either--or that I was 1800 miles into a thru and yes, in shape considering, but also losing muscle mass due to caloric deficit.

But again, in general, the AT is mile by mile, some of the hardest trail I've hiked in my life.

I suspect that over 2000+ miles the difference between a sobo and nobo difficulty is nil, zip, zero. And to further complicate the matter, you could discuss which is harder a steep technical uphill or downhill. I detest downhills.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    der a steep technical uphill or downhill. I detest downhills.

amen.no matter how difficult a climb was, I was never afraid for my health and well being. Entirely different matter though on some of the downhills, especially when wet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++