WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default I would like some input

Ten years ago I had a failed run at the AT. Not making it is my biggest regret in life.
    So I plan to do it in 2015 the year I turn 40. I have a wife, a Son who will be 5 and a Daughter who will be 7 that year.
    Is it fair to them for me to take six months out of life to do it?

Would just like to know what other hikers think.

Default I would like some input

No. It's not fair. Wait till they graduate high school. You can't get that time back. Right now you are everything to them. In 10 or 15 years you will be just Dad.

Journal Entries

I would agree that you mean everything to them at that age. Why not plan overnighters with them and when they get older start section hiking with them.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Same situation here 2 kids and a wife. My solution is long sections. This year Springer to Demascus, then more next year and so on. I would love to take the six months to do it but feel like I am needed here too much. If I waited other factors come in to play, health, fitness, financials (with 2 kids on college). The time will never be right so I am just doing it.

Images

wait 10 years and they may both hike a thru with you.

lots of "little" hikes with the kids....overnight in the a tent starting in your own yard, by the time you are hitting the big "5-0" they can do the "thru" with you if they want, and if not, you will be be the coolest dad in the world for asking them along for all the years leading up to your hike. I also had little ones and did just as I am suggesting...now I am doing it with my 2 and 5 year old grandchildren.

Images

I feel your pain. No, it's not fair to anyone (except yourself) to take 6 months out of life to do a thru. I'm 65 now and I put it off for 30 years, and I still am bothered by guilt in thinking of doing the thru in 2013. The guilt never leaves. It needs to become more important to you to do the thru than anything else in your life at the moment. Only you can make the decision, don't depend on anyone else for that.
    Simple is good.

Serving military are away for far more than that and most of their kids are in hero worship and pride...... How cool for the kids to be at school giving class reports on their hero Dad out hiking the AT. get them involved and do it for charities and fund raise for the school itself. Who knows what unfortunate might befall you leaving you unable to do the hike ever. Have a family sit down and all talk in depth about it. There is nothing to stop them meeting up with Dad along the way.
    Family time is important and you can make this a family enterprise. Strike while the iron is hot and you are able enough to meet the challenge. Kids are not dumb. Explain it all to them. They will love the idea

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I thrued last year and I have a wife and kids, although my kids are older than yours. A lot depends on how they feel about it. Mine were very supportive. At one point I came home due to an injury and my 15 yo son said that if I didn't go back I would regret it and that I should finish. My wife was real good about it too, encouraging me to go on when I wanted to quit. Like Carbo said, do what's right for you and your family but only you can decide.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I'll be attempting my thru hike in 2013. I'll be leaving my 7 year old and wife at home. I don't think it comes down to what's fair. If your wife understands your dream, she'll support you. It'll be gut wrenching being away from my Son, but he'll understand when he gets older. I'll have my iPhone for Facetime and there is always Skype. It'll definitely play on you mentally.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I thrued last year and I have a wife and kids, although my kids are older than yours. A lot depends on how they feel about it. Mine were very supportive. At one point I came home due to an injury and my 15 yo son said that if I didn't go back I would regret it and that I should finish. My wife was real good about it too, encouraging me to go on when I wanted to quit. Like Carbo said, do what's right for you and your family but only you can decide.
    My wife is very supportive,since I started talking about it a year ago she has made it a point to learn about the trail and mail drops. She even pushed me at have knee surgery to repair the damage from my last attempt.

Once you have children, you have a responsiblity to them. To leave them for 6 months, is not fair to them (IMO). (I also asked my kids, and they agreed!). If you can't bring yourself to section hike (1 to 2 weeks every few months), then wait until they are graduated. Take care of them first! (While your wife may be very supportive, it will still be difficult and not fair to her.)

Maybe a 6 month break from the wife and kids could be a good thing - or a really bad thing. Who are we to tell? Only you and your family can make that decision.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Maybe a 6 month break from the wife and kids could be a good thing - or a really bad thing. Who are we to tell? Only you and your family can make that decision.
    Um yeah, this is the only answer here.

I'm leaving in two weeks to thru while my 5 and 7 year-old stay home with my husband. My sister and her kids are staying with them to help out and have their own summer adventures. I don't think me taking off to hike is a matter of fairness, but that's what works for my family. My kiddos are part of my support team and can't wait to meet me along the trail. We've also made sure that they have plenty to do over the summer. I will admit to being bothered, at first, by some people expressing outrage that I would abandon my family to pursue such a self-centered endeavor. My husband and I discussed it at length and concluded that we know our family much better than the aghast internet peanut gallery.
    Really, you should do whatever you and your family think is acceptable not what anyone else thinks. It's not anyone else's decision to make.

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

Good for you Maren!

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

I leave in 2 weeks 3 days, maybe I'll see ya out there.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

It's probably not "fair" to them, but they may want to gift you the time if they understand how important it is to you. Hard to ask kids as young as yours and get a real answer. Of course they will miss you and you will miss them. Your wife's thoughts and feelings are the critical element more so than the children IMO.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

You have a ton of options. At 5 and 7 you have the opportunity to take them on section hikes and have them a part of your hiking endeavors...to make memories for them they will remember into adulthood. OR, you could involve them in your thru hike by helping with mail drops...and/or keeping a map of the trail and them keeping track of where you are and have done when you call home occasionally. If you think about it people in the military are gone for a year..sometimes longer with the wife and kids are home. Taking a note from them on how they do it is a big help. As well, it is not like they could not visit you in a trail town either.

You can be a parent or go on a 6 month vacation.

I think the answer is obvious.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++