WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stoves!

Images

Default Stoves!

Ok, if you were told you could only use one type of stove for the rest of your life, what would it be? And it would have to be something I could buy from backcountry.com too! LOL

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

For my next trick I'm going to try stoveless but...

I've been very, very happy with my esbit / graham cracker stove / caldera cone for a few years.

Very light, cheap and does the job.

Sigh, probably a Jetboil. I like alcohol but it isn't versatile enough if I am out with more than one other person.

Same one I've been using for 40+ years. SVEA.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Cannister stove. Either the Snow Peak Gigapower or MSR Pocket Rocket. Super simple, good quality highly adjustable flame.

Not the lightest or the cheapest, but a great amount of versatility.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Amen! My SVEA is older than I am, and more than a bit more reliable.

Images

Ive looked at all of these and I'm still a tad bit leery. I'm a dangerous person. I'm not gonna sugar coat it! I'm a menance to myself and those around me. I need a stove that is Sierra Echo-proof. Do they come in solar powered?

I didn't plan it this way, but it looks like my SVEA will be the only stove I own during my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Ive looked at all of these and I'm still a tad bit leery. I'm a dangerous person. I'm not gonna sugar coat it! I'm a menance to myself and those around me. I need a stove that is Sierra Echo-proof. Do they come in solar powered?
    There, there, there now. It can't be all that bad. The most bombproof stove I know of is the little Trangia. Be advised though that you can't see the denatured flame burning. You will wonder why your tent, tarp, etc. is melting. Let's be careful out there.

Images

Maybe you should try an alcohol stove. After all they don't usually have any moving parts to break, wear out, or get lost.
    I can tell you that my wife and I have had nothing but reliable service from our MSR Simmerlite. We've owned it for years and for a while it was our only stove. Now it's our cold weather stove because I know I can count on it in any kind of weather, or other situation.

Images

Go with a cannister like a jetboil or pocket rocket or similar. If you're worried about a stove being "Sierra Echo proof" you probably shouldn't be messing with liquid fuel stoves.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Barefoot at sea level

I've seen pictures of some great solar-powered cookers in China. Boil water in just a minute or two. Trouble is they weigh about 400 pounds.

Garlic
    Images

I don't use a stove on my three-season hikes any more, but if I had to choose one for the rest of my life it would be alcohol--home made or the Trangia. No moving parts, nothing to clean or maintain, no fussy jets or valves, and it'll burn many different fuels available in hardware stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, liquor stores, even backyard stills, around the world.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Stove

Alcohol is the only way to go!!!!

John

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

If I could only use one stove, it would be a Fancee Feest stove from Zelph. I was a dedicated Caldera Cone/Keg user for some time, but I love my Fancee Feest stove! It pairs pefectly with a Heineken can pot, is lightweight, super fuel efficient and easy to use.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

i like the msr superfly. it will attach to other companies canisters.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    If I could only use one stove, it would be a Fancee Feest stove from Zelph. I was a dedicated Caldera Cone/Keg user for some time, but I love my Fancee Feest stove! It pairs pefectly with a Heineken can pot, is lightweight, super fuel efficient and easy to use.
    I agree Hooch. I've built several and am amazed how simple and efficient the design is. It's my next thru hike stove.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I don't use a stove on my three-season hikes any more, but if I had to choose one for the rest of my life it would be alcohol--home made or the Trangia. No moving parts, nothing to clean or maintain, no fussy jets or valves, and it'll burn many different fuels available in hardware stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, liquor stores, even backyard stills, around the world.
    Garlic - I have noticed several times on WB you saying you go stove-less. Can you help me out and give me an example of what a 2-3 day resupply would look like for you? I find this intriguing!
    You are never too old.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    Garlic - I have noticed several times on WB you saying you go stove-less. Can you help me out and give me an example of what a 2-3 day resupply would look like for you? I find this intriguing!
    Sure, you bet! Here's an entry from Trailjournals: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213108. And another: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=228680. I wish someone had told me this was possible long before I found out by running into a hiker doing it on the PCT. He carried nothing but cereal and peanut butter. It was easy enough to morph the idea into something I found appetizing. My usual partner hikes stoveless, too, and his diet has no resemblance at all to mine. So you can make it your own. Good luck.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Interesting, although I don't believe I could ever go totally stoveless!

I did discover you can break a "block" of Ramen noodles in half (find the seam and split it open like an oyster shell) and end up with two pieces about the same size of a piece of white bread. I spread peanut butter and honey on them and make the most delicious sandwich in the world.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++