WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to make an alcohol stove out of pop cans. I've followed this youtube video exactly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2p9b...eature=related

minus the pot stand.

But the thing won't light. I'm using the Heet for fuel like the video says, I'm preheating it, but most of the time it won't light and when it does it's only for half a second and then it goes out.

Any ideas? Or better designs? I really don't want to buy one and I really like the idea of making it making it myself especially since I am on a very tight budget.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, anything! will be greatly appreciated.

I have had to preheat mine way more than the guy in the video. If you make a basin with foil, you can put a couple capfuls of heet in it to prime it good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eatapeach View Post
    I have had to preheat mine way more than the guy in the video. If you make a basin with foil, you can put a couple capfuls of heet in it to prime it good.
    Do you mean to make a basin to put the Heet into the stove?

I've been priming it way longer than the video guy too. Long enough that it was too hot for me to hold it. I had been experimenting with different priming times but nothing so far.

Under the can, like a frisbee, but smaller.

Images

Put the Heet on that? I'll give it a try thanks

Images

Okay, I tried it and it still wouldn't help with the stove. However I notice that that is one hell of a hot fire. If I put a pot stand over it and used a windscreen do you think that that would be an adequate enough stove?

Images

Make a fancy feest or full size cat (can) stove. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594Ruw Simplest design ever. Easier to build or replace. Completely foolproof unless you step on it. The Starlyte is also a good little stove if you want a wicking stove (google it and build one or buy one from Zelph)

Images

I shall buy cat food tomorrow! The herd will be so happy to get something other than dry food for once!

Images

here's a good site. start with cat stove. http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

take a gander at tetkoba on youtube. he is a master of can stoves.

Images

If you want to stick with the stove you already built, try making it a "penny stove." After you fill the stove, get a penny and put it on the top so it covers the fill holes. Then add a little more Heet to that, and the penny should keep that fuel from going down into the stove. Light that and it should burn, then once the fuel inside vaporizes, that fire should light the burners, and it'll function like the video.

Or go with the Super Cat as suggested, lol.

Maybe your not putting enough fuel in it or need more insulation for better wicking action.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You are using fresh heet right? I was ready to swear off ANY alcohol stove, I had made them all, and none of them would work. Turns out it was the 5+ year old heet i had found in my garage...

Journal Entries
    Images

All this help and nobody mentioned the missing pot stand - the distance is necessary for the stove to pressurize and mix with the air! 1.5 to 2 inches.... Problem solved.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-03-2012 at 18:28.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    I'm trying to make an alcohol stove out of pop cans. I've followed this youtube video exactly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2p9b...eature=related

minus the pot stand.

But the thing won't light. I'm using the Heat for fuel like the video says, I'm preheating it, but most of the time it won't light and when it does it's only for half a second and then it goes out.

Any ideas? Or better designs? I really don't want to buy one and I really like the idea of making it making it myself especially since I am on a very tight budget.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, anything! will be greatly appreciated.
    Squirrely, Don't give up on that little stove.If you have made it with holes in the right place,and are filling it with fresh fuel,then that's it .No moving parts or anything to go wrong,just fill it and burn.I think you may be using bad fuel?take a little and put on a non-combustible some thing out side with no wind if it burns no problem.Wind is the biggest problem with these little stoves.Give it another try...you'll be pleased with a fine working stove you've made your and trouble shot yourself.good luck!

That's a pressurized jet stove type and those need priming. Be careful not to over prime it or your efficiency plummets and you'll burn up all your fuel way too early. Once it blooms, you're good to go.

I tried making about all the stoves shown on zenstoves.net and settled on a version of the simple cat stove. It has given me the best heat times, fuel consumption and reliability, and lights right up without priming.

i found out on the cat stoves not need as many holes in them less on top still works ok and a little smaller holes less then a 1/4 in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eatapeach View Post

Eatapeach, I think I didn't completely understand what you were talking about until just a few minutes ago. I tried it and it worked pretty good.

I also just made a cat stove (the cats were ecstatic) and that worked perfect! Made myself dinner and everything.

Thanks everyone!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spools View Post
    You are using fresh heet right? I was ready to swear off ANY alcohol stove, I had made them all, and none of them would work. Turns out it was the 5+ year old heet i had found in my garage...
    It was freshly bought. No clue how long it sat in the store. It burned great in everything else I burned it in. Just not the pop can stove.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++