WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cycling clothes?

No, I don't want to talk about Lycra shorts, although I've thought about that.

Instead, I'm thinking about long sleeve, thermal jerseys-- the kind cyclists wear in winter. Seems to me that a jersey designed to be light in weight and wind-resistant might be a reasonable choice for hikers-- it would keep you out of the cold, pack down small, and plus, it would work well as a second layer under a shell jacket or to sleep in, since it would fit relatively tight.

What do you all think? I'm just curious, since I'm a cyclist who has a bunch of jerseys in his closet, and I'm trying to finalize gear plans for a thru-hike next year.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    it would work well as a second layer under a shell jacket or to sleep in, since it would fit relatively tight.
    I do a lot of bike touring/camping and that's what it's good for...as an under layer. You need something to trap air over it, even something as light as a windbreaker.
    Also good as sleep clothes.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I have a couple cycling jerseys that I use for long trail runs or ultramarathons because the back pocket(s) can hold an energy bar and a couple gels. However, those back pockets are unusable when backpacking and they add weight to the garment -- my relatively light (not for cold temps) cycle jersey weighs 10 ounces while a comparable warmth conventional synthetic zip t-neck weighs about 6 ounces.

If the extra weight doesn't bother you, though, it would definitely be cheaper to use a cycle jersey you already own rather than buy a new top. The cycle jersey would vent and wick just as well as a conventional hiking top.
    Last edited by map man; 02-12-2012 at 12:19.

Garlic
    Images

This caught my eye because I'm in the reverse position. I'm trying to make my long distance hiking clothing work on a bicycle tour next summer! I'm finding some difficulties and I think I'll be carrying more weight in clothing on my bike than on hikes. I don't own any cycling clothing so sorry I can't help, but good luck to you.

I have seen hikers in Lycra shorts, but it probably works OK only if you're under 30. I've heard we should just take that on faith.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'm trying to make my long distance hiking clothing work on a bicycle tour next summer!
    Your hike tops that have zip necks or other ways to regulate heat/cold will work best. I'm not a fan of old men in Lycra shorts either, but...I do have a nice pair of padded ones for those long trips (i use to laugh at them) that I can throw some weigh nothing running shorts over for public view. Like most of us do when wearing "tights" on the trial.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Hike smarter, not harder.

None of mine are that light. Although I do have a 1/4 zip Louis Gareau base layer that I love. But that base layer, and my Patagonia Houdini are lighter and more windproof than any of my jerseys.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Be sure to test the jersey with your pack. Some jerseys have a lot of decorative seams around the shoulders, which can dig into your back or shoulder when you put a loaded pack on.

As for using hiking clothes for biking, if you're riding a traditional bike, you'll want to make sure the arms (for long-sleeve tops) and back are long enough. Having pockets is nice, but you can easily store items elsewhere.

There's a lot of overlap in materials between the two, so if you have the gear and don't mind the small things like a few ounces, then they're easy to exchange. When bike touring, I generally carry a lot of backpacking gear. However, I usually wear a bike jersey, even though I might put a short sleeve one over a long sleeve silk-weight hiking top instead of carrying a long-sleeve jersey. When hiking, I tend not to carry biking gear but would consider it if I had no other options.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am not sure I would want the bright colors on the trail - might scare a few field mice to scurry away......

( I used to have those clothes) - did a lot of bikn long time ago.... before it was popular. My friends would call me Break-away.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Yea, colder weather bike stuff tend to be a pretty thick weave to make it more wind resistant. I have a lot of clothes that i switch back and forth but my long sleeve jersey, jacket and even vest stay with the bike stuff. arm warmers are a light easy addition when temps might change up and down during the day.

Garlic, make sure you get a few good pairs of bike shorts to alternate between and keep washed after each day. Contact points are important.. shorts, saddle, shoes, gloves.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I have seen hikers in Lycra shorts, but it probably works OK only if you're under 30. I've heard we should just take that on faith.
    Trek used to make shorts with the padded chamois part, that were cut like board shorts. Not quite as long in the leg, but more like shorts you could wear around town. Cept it looked like you had a load on from the padded thing.

Eating all those -ini foods!

One bike clothing item that is the bomb is arm warmers. Wear a short sleeved poly shirt with arm warmers. They work great. If you get too warm, just push them down. If they are still too warm, just slide them off, and stick them in your pocket. Leg warmers don't work nearly as well. They just won't stay up for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    One bike clothing item that is the bomb is arm warmers. ... Leg warmers don't work nearly as well. They just won't stay up for me.
    Gotta say I just saw on Monday these things at Neel Gap, made by Mountain Hardware. Almost bought a pair, then realized I had some at home in my old bicycling drawer. Can't wait to try them out, as my arms are about the first thing to get cold on a breezy day.

Now, about those leg warmers ... what about a garter belt?! Hmmmmm....

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have not cycling clothes. I cycle in my hikin clothes

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

the one problem ive had with cycling tops and backpacking are the pockets on the back. from a fabric standpoint, they are great, but anytime ive carried a pack, the pockets have chafed my lower back. its the stitching from the seams and the ridges created from the tops of the pockets

i do, however, use my leg warmers. they rock.
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

A back sleeper may also find the back pocket seams in a cycling jersey to be uncomfortable.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++