Journal Entries

Default 5 Day on PCT in May...need advice!

So as the title says, I am heading to the PCT around the middle of May with a friend of mine. Does anyone know the best section of the PCT to do in 5 days? Preferably semi-near a city with a decent airport and maybe ending somewhere where we could get some sort of transportation back to our starting point. ANY tips that has ANYTHING to do with the PCT would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

The best section to do on the PCT in 5 days may not be the best section in May.
    Depends on the snow level.
    OK, near big city: Aqua Dulce is not far from LA, although I don't think this is a very beautiful section compared to others.
    The first 5 days of the PCT, from Campo, would put you near San Diego.
    If low snow (this year is so far I believe although they just got some), then Reno is near the best part (Sierras) but, there will be snow for sure.
    Maybe from Donner pass (not too far from Reno) NOBO? (will have snow in May, even in low snow year)
    as will anything around Tahoe.

Anza Borrega desert is probably your best bet.
    Desert hiking can be very enjoyable if you know your water limits and can find water in the desert.
    Depends on recent rainfall as most desert hiking does.

Go 2 months later and do the northern end of the JMT, flying into and out of Reno would be ideal. (there's public transportation back to Tuolumme from the village) (leave a rental car there or pay for a shuttle)

Good luck.

Perhaps somewhere in the Anza Borrega desert would be best. It is a beautiful desert and not far from LA.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRat09 View Post
    So as the title says, I am heading to the PCT around the middle of May with a friend of mine. Does anyone know the best section of the PCT to do in 5 days? Preferably semi-near a city with a decent airport and maybe ending somewhere where we could get some sort of transportation back to our starting point. ANY tips that has ANYTHING to do with the PCT would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
    The Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington is great, but it will still be under snow in May.
    Shutterbug

In May it has to be southern California. The rest of the trail is snow covered until mid-June.

Big Bear is accessible by public transportation and has a nice hostel. It's kind of a pain to get there, but a combination of bus and train will do it. The trail around there is quite nice. If you can get someone to give you a lift to a spot nearby, you could hike into Big Bear and then take the bus out. How far away depends on what kind of mileage you want to be doing.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Like what the other said may most of the breath taken section along the PCT are cover under snow. The South lake to North lake loop along the JMT is wonderful you go up Muir pass and through Evolution Valley but then again it will be cover under snow

Journal Entries

So you suggesting starting at Big Bear or ending there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    In May it has to be southern California. The rest of the trail is snow covered until mid-June.

Big Bear is accessible by public transportation and has a nice hostel. It's kind of a pain to get there, but a combination of bus and train will do it. The trail around there is quite nice. If you can get someone to give you a lift to a spot nearby, you could hike into Big Bear and then take the bus out. How far away depends on what kind of mileage you want to be doing.

Images

I did SoCal in late May last year and I had wonderful weather and no water issues. No clue if it was normal or better than normal. I would look at Cajon Pass to Aqua Dulce, about 100 miles or Hwy 74 (mile 152) to Big Bear, again just over 100 miles. The first gives you the Baden Powell and Baldy are, the second San Jacinto and Whitewater and Mission Creek areas. Both would make a challenging but scenic trip.

Hands down section C-L, Donner to Sierra City. Sure theres some snow on a regular year, but its 42 miles of awesome trail, that only a few will be enjoying at that time of year(priceless for me). There will be dry parts for sure, unless its snowing. It would mean a hitch or a ride to reno from Sierra City,or Donner Summit, but id call that a little problem compared to the reward. The amtrack goes to truckee, 10 miles from the pct at D summit, highly hitchable on old hwy 40. Its my favorite month on that section, last year it was april conditions in late july! Theres a 12 mile round trip bonus if you have the time, 6 miles up to the lookout tower on the Buttes in section L-M, a mile off the pct near the top(marked turnoff), but the pinnacle of the whole area. No permits needed, besides a fire permit if wanted, no bear can restrictions, mountains, lakes, streams, its really too good to be true, maybe the chapparal and poodle bush of socal, oh and the hoards of thrus will entice you there? Have fun, no matter where it is.

P.S. I forgot the 4 miles between old 40 and hwy 80 if your coming that way, hate to undercut ya.

Journal Entries

Do you know the avg temperatures in that area in May? What elevations are we talkin about here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    Hands down section C-L, Donner to Sierra City. Sure theres some snow on a regular year, but its 42 miles of awesome trail, that only a few will be enjoying at that time of year(priceless for me). There will be dry parts for sure, unless its snowing. It would mean a hitch or a ride to reno from Sierra City,or Donner Summit, but id call that a little problem compared to the reward. The amtrack goes to truckee, 10 miles from the pct at D summit, highly hitchable on old hwy 40. Its my favorite month on that section, last year it was april conditions in late july! Theres a 12 mile round trip bonus if you have the time, 6 miles up to the lookout tower on the Buttes in section L-M, a mile off the pct near the top(marked turnoff), but the pinnacle of the whole area. No permits needed, besides a fire permit if wanted, no bear can restrictions, mountains, lakes, streams, its really too good to be true, maybe the chapparal and poodle bush of socal, oh and the hoards of thrus will entice you there? Have fun, no matter where it is.

The trail will be completely snow covered. It doesn't clear out until June. Probably not all that cold, but you'll need an ice axe.

The section im talking about ranges from from 8500 max (Sierra buttes peak,option)to 4000 low altitude, ive been hiking it since 96 with no ice axe,and ive done it year round. Its still winter here, but on the average year in may, its really no problem. The snow that is there will be hard pact and easy to traverse. The average temps in may are 69 degree highs and 41 degree lows. I have a vast knowledge of the area, I could go on all day, shelters, stores, fishing, roads, other side trails. The mileage gives you time to make it through, and regulate changes, even with snow. If your total anti snow, dont do it, if snow is a plus, do it and love it. Its more of wilderness type feel, compared to socal, and it is doable, and enjoyable. HYOH......Enjoy

Journal Entries

I am definitely not adverse to snow as long as it is manageable enough for at least 2 ppl with not that much experience backpacking in snow levels that the Western US gets (used to the Southeast). WOuld the trail be totally covered by it or is it something you just have to traverse every once in a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    The section im talking about ranges from from 8500 max (Sierra buttes peak,option)to 4000 low altitude, ive been hiking it since 96 with no ice axe,and ive done it year round. Its still winter here, but on the average year in may, its really no problem. The snow that is there will be hard pact and easy to traverse. The average temps in may are 69 degree highs and 41 degree lows. I have a vast knowledge of the area, I could go on all day, shelters, stores, fishing, roads, other side trails. The mileage gives you time to make it through, and regulate changes, even with snow. If your total anti snow, dont do it, if snow is a plus, do it and love it. Its more of wilderness type feel, compared to socal, and it is doable, and enjoyable. HYOH......Enjoy

Well, thats still up in the air. Were expecting a giant storm here for the weekend, possible 5 feet of white flakes. Maybe a flexible plan is an option, weather permitting, socal mountains are expecting alot of snow as well. Youtube Sierra Buttes Lookout Tower, and see if its even your cup of tea.

++ New Posts ++