WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good inexpensive sleeping bag

I am looking for a sleeping bag that will compress to very small and keep me warm without breaking my bank. It needs to be $170 or less. I am kind of a big guy so it needs to be pretty big in the hips and shoulders. I am looking at the HighPeak Extreme Pak but I don't know. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Journal Entries

You can get some decent sleeping bag deals on good quality bags IF you shop around with patience. Backcountry.com, Dept of goods, Clean snipe, Steep and Cheap, etc. You just cannot be in a hurry. It is too easy to waste your money buying unimformed.

Quality costs money, and is worth money. Water resistant coatings, true temperature ratings, longevity of insulation and loft, packability, are things to consider. $170 can buy a decent bag. Id stick to namebrands Kelty, Mountain Hardwear, Montbel. The best synthetic insulations will be Climashield or Primaloft.

Kelty Cosmic seems to get a lot or recommendations and is not to expensive.

--louis

Images

I bought a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 last year for $70 and I love it. At a little over 2 lbs it's a great buy for the money. I slept in thermals and a silk liner with temps in the teens hiking over Christmas and was warm and comfortable. I've been in a tent in the low 30s with nothing on but my boxers, same warm and comfortable result. I used the money I didn't spend on an expensive bag to buy a Sea to Summit Reactor Plus that will make my bag 10-15 degrees warmer if I need it and can serve as my only bag in the summer. Sunny Sports and Campmor both have it right now for less than $100.

Images

Go check out Sierratradingpost.com and look through their bags.

I think they have the Sierra Designs Pyro for sale both regular and long for about $170. You can increase your savings by using a 35% coupon!! I did this when they had a Marmot Sawtooth in stock and got mine for just over $100.

Default you cannot beat this deal for the price ...

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Go check out Sierratradingpost.com and look through their bags.

I think they have the Sierra Designs Pyro for sale both regular and long for about $170. You can increase your savings by using a 35% coupon!! I did this when they had a Marmot Sawtooth in stock and got mine for just over $100.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43168

Better than Cosmic (Goose fill, not duck one!) Long. No tax, no shipping $130... I actually bought one myself recently but hadn't have any opportunity to camp in it yet.

The only drawback... It has the zipper on a wrong side (the old fashion way), not according to moden conventions - right side zipper for girls, left side for boys).

++ New Posts ++